Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is This Oil Ok For Rav

2.2 D4D

Been offered 20 litres of comma syner-g 5/40 fully synthetic oil, wondering if ok to use in

2009 2.2d4d. rather not buy if could cause probs.

It won't cause you any problems but if you are paying a lot for it TBH it is a bit over the top. You can gat just as good service from a 5W/30 semi synthetic which morris's currently have on offer;

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=47&product=Multilife+5W%2F30+Fuel+Efficient+Fully+Synthetic+Motor+Oil

These new 150 engines are supposed to be virtually zero oil consumption and at 400 miles mine hasn't moved (by 1000 miles the last one had used 1 litre). If you use a fully synthetic it may consume a little bit more because they have excellent clinging properties and can get to the upper cylinder.

If it is a good price then by all means go ahead.

thanks i will check price. mine hasn't used a drop in 4000 miles.

My 07 XTR Diesel went to Mr. T for the 4 wheel tracking last week. All was well until they pointed out that

this car with 28000 miles had used nearly a litre of oil in about 1200 miles, and that while not

'excessive' they suggested I keep an eye on it. My previous RAV, a 4.2 petrol never used any oil between

services. I had had several cars like that and assumed that modern cars no longer used oil. I am now

worried, imagining that the engine is already worn out, although the car pulls like a dream, and that

major hassle is just over the horizon. What is 'normal' oil consumption in a modern, low mileage diesel?

Should I be worried?

Jon

Jon,

For the moment, I'd think don't worry too much, but do as they say and keep an eye on it. A weekly check does no harm anyway.

Briefly, unfortunately have to say, that earlier examples of the 4.3 diesel can suffer from higher than expected oil consumption. There have been running changes in production to oil control rings etc.

If you can prove it uses more than 1 litre in 1000 miles I think you can get them to rebuild the engine with all the oil saving mods included.

My last one (the red one you see over there <) would use more on short trips and was capable of using a litre in not much more then 1000 miles. As shcm says though, it doesn't mean your engine is worn out or bggrd.

Thanks for your replies, I won't panic just yet. This is our third Rav, we've had a 4.1, 4.2 and now the 4.3.

I've liked each one but for different reasons. We eventually sold the petrol 4.2 because it needed a lot of revs

(and clutch)when pulling away towing a caravan. The diesel is far better for towing and, because it revs less, is

not so tiring on a long journey. Hopefully when hot and on a long run the oil consumption won't be too high.

Jon

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links