Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D 2.2 Difficult To Start After Fuel Filter Change

M.Davies

Hi,

Can anyone advise on how to bleed the diesel fuel system.

After changing the fuel filter, priming it (button on top of fuel filter), the car starts after 10 seconds. Primed it a number of times but it is still difficult to start and when driving is a bit hesitant. Any ideas on how to bleed the system?

Thanks

Mathew

I`m sure modern diesels shouldn`t need bleeding after running out or a filter change just primed.

Did you renew the seal and is the filter fully tightened because it sounds like air may be getting in the system.

Does priming help starting first thing ?

Hi,

Can anyone advise on how to bleed the diesel fuel system.

After changing the fuel filter, priming it (button on top of fuel filter), the car starts after 10 seconds. Primed it a number of times but it is still difficult to start and when driving is a bit hesitant. Any ideas on how to bleed the system?

Thanks

Mathew

hi mate

you ve to have yr injj systen bleeded when starting key is in ON position -- this keeps both SCVs open to suct diesel from filter anf recirculate it. the above is in force subject the filter was assembled correctly. cheers/Igor

You must bleed the system before the engine runs right. Keep pressing that plunger on top until it goes hard and then start it. If you still have problems, take the out pipe off and pump it until the fuel runs. Reconnect the pipe and pump it until it goes hard then start it. You can expect it to splutter for 5 or 10 seconds but if it still causes problems you have done something wrong. Take the filter off again and check the seals are not twisted or you haven't fitted 2 seals in error at the top. Lightly oil them with engine oil and refit then re bleed.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the benefits of running diesels!

I've learnt this from our generator running out of diesel; the Renault 7 ton truck; and the forklift. Funny. With petrol, you just fill up the tank and away you go. Diesel has to be primed; pumped; connections loosened to let out air;

Why doesn't that happen on planes - have they sorted the problem??

Mine was replaced last week after it clogged completly.

You have to keep priming until the rubber button on top of the filter housing goes completely stiff and keep repeating if necessary mine took 3 start/prime cycles before it behaved.

Rgds

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links