Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light

Kevlancs

Hi All

Just bought a Rav an 03 plate 3 door petrol, cracking car but instantly had a problem with the engine management light which came on after a couple of days. Took it back to the independent dealer but now I have got the car back I have noticed the light doesn't come on at all even when I first turn the ignition? where as on our other Toyota MR2 the light comes on when your turn the ignition but then goes off to show alls well. Handbook doesn't make clear if it should come on with the ignition...Question is " Should the light come on when i turn the ignition?" Thanks for any help.... Kev

I think it should , unless the light has been disconnected. Mine does. Worth getting someone to hook a code reader up to the socket. Have a search on here , many threads about this.

Hi, the engine management light comes on when the ignition is turned on and should then extinguish when the engine fires up to show that all is well.If the light is lit up with the engine running the cause needs to be determined and then rectified.This can ,but may not be, rather expensive and as you have just purchased the car this cost would fall sqarely on the dealer.It seems someone has taken the easy way out and merely disabled the light.You should take the vehicle back to the dealer and ask exactly what was done. John

They are taking you for a fool.

The light should come on then go off when started and it is the oldest trick in the book to disable the light. It is probably oxygen sensors which might be up to £1000 so take it back and tell them to sort it or you will go to Trading Standards. That is a nasty trick.

BTW - welcome to the club!

The light should come on then go off when started and it is the oldest trick in the book to disable the light. It is probably oxygen sensors which might be up to £1000 so take it back and tell them to sort it or you will go to Trading Standards. That is a nasty trick.

Sound like dodgy outfit. Put all your requests in writing and keep copies of any responses. When you take the car in go with a witness.

Good luck

Sound like dodgy outfit. Put all your requests in writing and keep copies of any responses. When you take the car in go with a witness.

Good luck

Unless you're there to torch the place when a witness is not a good idea! marigolds apparently are good at shielding fingerprints so I've found....when we had 2 trucks nicked.

Many thanks for your help. After I collected the car the first time I asked what the problem was and he stated it was an o2 sensor just needed cleaning and resetting. I have been told o2 sensors probably need replacing rather than cleaning and as they can be expensive I fear the worst but really hope there is a simple explanation for this. The thing is at this moment I probably have to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt or I could end up digging a pit for myself. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again

kev

I just had to know if there was still a fault code stored so yesterday morning nipped round to my local garage and sure enough (£35+ VAT later) there was a fault stored P1135 Sensor Heater Circuit Fault (o2 sensor I believe) and the printout even showed MIL Status=ON so the light should of been lit. Rang the dealer who pleaded ignorance. I has discussed with my wife all the possibilities and we agreed to demand he came and collected the car and fixed it due to the fact the garage is a 30 minute drive. He declined and said he would put it right if we dropped it off . To be honest there aint that many options open to me although I did mention trading standards to him, if I take it anywhere else and then try and claim the money off him there will be trouble ahead for sure and he has sold our PX so a money back option would be a grey area. That is exactly as it stands as of now. I wish I knew what he had done to put the light out because if it could be proved he has bodged it I would deffo persue the legal route if nothing else to protect other people. Unfortunaely this would cost even more. I will give him a few days to contact me and see how I feel by then.

The garage in question is GTA Italian car sales in Brock, north of Preston. As with all dealers, you only learn what they are really like when you have a problem, they are all good at taking your money.

I wonder if its a part of the Tpyota RMB group :unsure:

hope you get it sorted pal. im also having fall outs and tantrums with my dealer :censor:

It looks like the MIL light has been disabled. A good auto electrician with decent diagnostics will be able to tell you how the lamp has been disabled.

P1135 is indeed an oxygen sensor and obviously does require replacing. Options are take it back but mark all of the sensors prior to make sure the faulty one is replaced. I'm fairly sure its the first sensor left hand side of the engine bay as you look into it. You will also require the lamp re-enabled-This is a must! Untold damage could occur ignoring warnings.

If it doesn't get replaced and you are fobbed off-Trading Standards-or a couple of Heavies!!!

I hope this gets sorted for you because you have bought a fantastic car!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links