Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puncture

nevica

Hello,

I have not had a puncture on my iQ yet but I do have a few questions.

1. If I have a puncture I can only use the cylinder once and then it has to be replaced. Has anybody found a cheap alternative to buying a Toyota spare which I understand are very expensive.

2. Can the pump be used as a standalone pump for inflating tyres without filling a tyre with gunge. ie Can the canister be taken off and the pump used as a normal pump.

3. Once a tyre has been filled with gunge to get it to the nearest garage, what are my options? Can the garage remove the gunge and repair the puncture as normal or do I have to get a new tyre?

Nevica

Hello,

I have not had a puncture on my iQ yet but I do have a few questions.

1. If I have a puncture I can only use the cylinder once and then it has to be replaced. Has anybody found a cheap alternative to buying a Toyota spare which I understand are very expensive.

2. Can the pump be used as a standalone pump for inflating tyres without filling a tyre with gunge. Ie take the canister be taken off and the pump used as a normal pump.

3. Once a tyre has been filled with gunge to get it to the nearest garage, what are my options? Can I garage remove the gunge and repair ther puncture as normal or do I have to get a new tyre?

Nevica

Excellent questions!

I'm dreading the day we get a puncture especially as my wife drives Peanut most of the time. If she got a puncture would Green Flag come and attend it for her? Everything is in the car to do it but she'd never work it out I'm sure. Come to that, I'd not be too sure myself.

Hello,

3. Once a tyre has been filled with gunge to get it to the nearest garage, what are my options? Can the garage remove the gunge and repair the puncture as normal or do I have to get a new tyre?

Nevica

I have had a puncture in two vehicles that required the use of the 'gunge'. Having learnt a bitter lesson from the first, I was able to modify my approach to when it happened with my iQ;

Having only just taken delivery of the iQ, I came out a couple of days later to find it was sitting on my driveway with a puncture.

Two options, either use the supplied inflator, or jack the car, remove the tyre and take just that to the tyre shop.

What you must realise is that once you use the 'gunge', the tyre is unrepairable and I had only done 42 miles on it! So if at all possible, don't use the 'gunge'. I took the tyre along and due to the position of the puncture, I had it repaired for a tiny fraction of a new replacement. Obviously, if you are on a lonely country lane miles from anywhere, then needs must - but if you have the choice, no 'gunge', it could save you the cost of a new tyre if repairable.

*Post deleted*

Edited by GIDDLEPIN
Selling items when not a paid member

Hi All,

I also had a puncture on the "driver side rear" as i was driving in to town,had the window open & heard the dreaded hissing.I managed to make it to a local petrol station and on viewing the tyre i had a big screw in it :crybaby: .when i got my iQ i was given a can of "Holts tyre weld" by a family member as he had a spare so i thought i would use this as it's cheaper to replace than the toyota supplied item.But to no avail the hole was too big :crybaby: .So a call to the RAC via club toyota was made, then 1hr later the man in a van arrived ,he used a piece of rubber & this blue gunk! Then pushed it into the tyre and said wait 5mins then you're good to go.

He said that will get me home but i should get the tyre changed.I took it to my toyota dealer the next day,they looked at it and said "he did a good fix that's how we would have done it",they then pressure tested it and all was ok :thumbsup: .since then i've been to germany and back in the bad weather in JANUARY and then many more miles in the uk,So i think i got lucky that time ;)

Hi All,

I also had a puncture on the "driver side rear" as i was driving in to town,had the window open & heard the dreaded hissing.I managed to make it to a local petrol station and on viewing the tyre i had a big screw in it :crybaby: .when i got my iQ i was given a can of "Holts tyre weld" by a family member as he had a spare so i thought i would use this as it's cheaper to replace than the toyota supplied item.But to no avail the hole was too big :crybaby: .So a call to the RAC via club toyota was made, then 1hr later the man in a van arrived ,he used a piece of rubber & this blue gunk! Then pushed it into the tyre and said wait 5mins then you're good to go.

He said that will get me home but i should get the tyre changed.I took it to my toyota dealer the next day,they looked at it and said "he did a good fix that's how we would have done it",they then pressure tested it and all was ok :thumbsup: .since then i've been to germany and back in the bad weather in JANUARY and then many more miles in the uk,So i think i got lucky that time ;)

On a side note, how was your iQ driving to Germany? Did you have any problems with the small engine size?

Regards,

Nevica

Hi All,

On a side note, how was your iQ driving to Germany? Did you have any problems with the small engine size?

Regards,

Nevica

Hi Nevica,

Thanks for your reply.

My iQ was great driving to germany & i had no problems with the small engine.

It's a round trip of 990 miles inc the ferry.The only issues were all the other drivers staring at this strange little car racing down the autobahn :thumbsup: .....

• 4 weeks later...

you can buy a replacemt compressor with sealant, same as what comes with the iq for £39.99 at screw fix, its in thir catalouge page 756 hope this helps anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'd already ordered my coming-soon IQ when...when...¡¿hey, there's no spare tire!? I think I'm going to have to buy a spare rim with a tire on it and have it sitting at home until that ...unspeakable event...might occur. (And I've, in past times, twice had ..TWO punctures at once. ¡Yuck!) Maybe a better idea to buy two rims with winter tires on them, so they can double as "occasional" spares AND winter (forward) traction (and I wonder if that...would be a legal situation??)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links