Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.2 Radio/cd Display And Other Issues

Mike0001

Hi

External Temperature Display

I just got my 2004 rav4 back from the garage as when I bought it secondhand, first the radio didn't work at all, then the steering column controls didn't work, but now they have replaced the unit FOC.

Looking in the manual, the large LCD screen seems to have the outside temperature displayed in its top half. The top of mine is permanently blank. The bottom shows either station/track info or mpg. Is this correct? I know the heater display also shows external temperature when a button is pressed.

Throttle Idle

The other thing they looked at was the throttle action. They flashed the latest ECU firmware and said everything was now OK. However, before the engine used to idle at around 900rpm, but now it goes as low as 500rpm with wild oscillations up to 1500rpm. Trouble is, several times it has stalled at 500rpm, at low speed with clutch depressed, which is dangerous as all steering servo is lost and eventually I guess brake servo would go too.

Can anyone advise me about these things?

Hi Mike

I can answer the first part of your question. When I use the navi option on the radio I just get the MPG displayed in the lower half of the radio screen. The outside temperature is only displayed on the heater panel LCD.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your second question although my RAV idles smoothly at just under 1000rpm.

Hi Mike

I can answer the first part of your question. When I use the navi option on the radio I just get the MPG displayed in the lower half of the radio screen. The outside temperature is only displayed on the heater panel LCD.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your second question although my RAV idles smoothly at just under 1000rpm.

Thanks Catweazle, so nothing ever gets displayed in the top half?

Not on mine anyway. Perhaps someone else can confirm?

This is a petrol right?

I would concentrate on the area around the inlet pipe and look at any split vacuum pipes, the IAC valve and the MAF. Maybe a good clean is the best thing to start.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

External Temperature Display

I just got my 2004 rav4 back from the garage as when I bought it secondhand, first the radio didn't work at all, then the steering column controls didn't work, but now they have replaced the unit FOC.

Looking in the manual, the large LCD screen seems to have the outside temperature displayed in its top half. The top of mine is permanently blank. The bottom shows either station/track info or mpg. Is this correct? I know the heater display also shows external temperature when a button is pressed.

Throttle Idle

The other thing they looked at was the throttle action. They flashed the latest ECU firmware and said everything was now OK. However, before the engine used to idle at around 900rpm, but now it goes as low as 500rpm with wild oscillations up to 1500rpm. Trouble is, several times it has stalled at 500rpm, at low speed with clutch depressed, which is dangerous as all steering servo is lost and eventually I guess brake servo would go too.

Can anyone advise me about these things?

On my 2004 the external temperature does display in the upper half. See slightly out of focus picture...

Richard

post-77698-127315790664_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming (but could be totally wrong) that the models with climate control (XT4 and above) have a dedicated display for the temperature display (next to the heater controls) and so for some reason Toyota felt that it was not necessary to display the outside temperature on the radio as well. However, it would be more convenient to have the display on the radio as that's far easier to see when driving.

Can any one else confirm (or put me right if I am totally wrong)?

Yes correct,

If you have climate control outside temp is on the climate display, effectively toggled with the cabin temp by a button.

It would have be nice to have both temps displayed at the same time, but I guess Toyota thought we would get confused :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links