Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turns Out I Do Have A Cat

JappyBeast

After noticing that my heat shield was hanging off I looked under it and there is a fatter brown back box looking bit running next to the main can. Is this a CAT?

What do I do now to get rid of it?

Does someone make a straight pipe that replaces it?

If I buy a Mongoose zorst without a CAT, will it fit straight on?

Cheers.

jack the car up .. take off the zorst .. get on a breathing mask .. and powerdrill the %$(er out .. a crowbar and hammer is also useful at this point.

You've got a few choices bud.

Get a mongoose w. a CAT replacemnt pipe.

Keep ur curent exhaust and get only the CAT replacement pipe.

or get a mongoose made for cars w. a CAT...

imo get mongoose with CAT replacement pipe ;)

lookin at the mongoose if u choose to get rid of the CAT, with ur car being an import the exhaust will need modifying to accept the CAT temp sensor.

This place is cheaoer than fensport (even w. gold discount)

MSport

but im not sure if the CAT replacemetn pipe is included in the package, u'll have to ring em up i guess...

-Z

jack the car up .. take off the zorst .. get on a breathing mask .. and powerdrill the %$(er out .. a crowbar and hammer is also useful at this point.

So effectivly gutting the insides of it out so its just a pipe?

Is this a big job?

How much are cat replacement pipes... they cant be that much because its just a pipe!

I'm not that bothered if my cat light stays on.

cat light will not come on .. it's basically just a pipe .. Cat replacement pipes are smoother on the inside (as the cat pipe bulges in the middle) .. but are over 100 notes ..

I think the garage did mine in an hour (when fitting a new exhaust).

my cat light is on all the time... had it decatted tho and have an aussie downpipe on it.

Think the sensor is simply frigged tho as it was always on when I got the car also. Unless decatting it made it simply stay on. CRD said it would be on because of that.

The above only works if you have a turbo, I thought you had an N/A Jappy. If so you should be able to pick up a cat replacement pipe fairly easily. Try E-bay.

Matt.

With the NA MR2's you can just un-bolt it, smash it out and put it back on....I did this on my G-Limited but only really noticed a change in sound, sounded more tinny at a certain point :(

I was under the impression that the cat was on the same elbow as the dp on the Gen III MR2's....I was just going to wait till I get my Aussie dp but there is talk of emmisions being introduced here in NZ sometime in the next 2 years so I might wait and see...might have to get a high flow cat somewhere in the system. I can't remeber what the story is with the Gen II's.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I have a Gen 1.

My zorst is really throaty as it is and its stock... will removing the CAt make it louder? I hope so!

So what do I do?

I have a Gen 1.

My zorst is really throaty as it is and its stock... will removing the CAt make it louder? I hope so!

So what do I do?

It will probably make it louder.....I did it with the STOCK exhaust and it sounded tinny but because you have a nice looking muffler etc then it's bound to sound good. AFAIC you have 2 choices.....take the cat off, smash it out, and put it back on as it is.....this will increase the flow + change the sound BUT as Bibbs mentioned it bulges in the middle so the gas is bound to hit it and swirl around a bit before continuing out the back, 2nd choice and imho the better one is to take it off, smash it out and get a straight pipe of the same size as the rest or your system welded into the cat...then when it's back on it will look stock as a rock but flow better :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

yeah, tbh i can't see it costing much to have a straight pipe made out for the 2. as the CAT replacement pipe looks like something u could make in GCSE D.T. :P

the again most things r simple, but cost loads :(

-Z

I went to a normal garage when I first thought of getting the car decatted. They said they could simply make up a pipe for it.

In the end tho I went for new exhaust/downpipe.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links