Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

S/s Custom Exhaust On 4a-fe

MSC_Kev

I'm booking my car in for a custom S/S exhuast at SES in Nottingham in the next few days and I have a few questions for people who already have had one made.

1. Will the car still pass an MOT on emissions by removing the cat and making up a de-cat pipe? I think the 97 corrolla only has 1 cat?

2. After inspecting the manifold it appears to be in good shape and not that restrictive, is worth getting a custom 4-2-1 one made up to go with exhaust? Has anyone done this and got positive resutls?

thanks for any help :)

Kev

Taking out the cat and sticking in an empty box will increase your emissions including hydrocarbons. It will fail the MOT...I should know, having done the same on my Carina E. The trick is to put the cat back on for the MOT.

If I am not mistaken, Cars registered pre 1993 don't have the same stringent emissions test that post '93 cars do. So if your car is older than 1993 then you can get away with removing your cat and not replacing it for MOT.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a 1990 GTi with a S/S zorst and no cat and it's MOT is due next month :!Removed!:

I've decided to leave the manifold for now, but I have booked it into SES for a full cat back system with a polished seemless back box and a 4" slash cut jap style exit. Goes in on the 19th of March.

A friend is giving me a hand with the ICE install next weekend. Pics to follow

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Dropping the car off tomorrow for a few hours for them to knock the exhaust.

Should be interesting to see the end results and if it will free up any torque and power. Will post images when I'm back home :)

Kev

If I am not mistaken, Cars registered pre 1993 don't have the same stringent emissions test that post '93 cars do. So if your car is older than 1993 then you can get away with removing your cat and not replacing it for MOT.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a 1990 GTi with a S/S zorst and no cat and it's MOT is due next month :!Removed!:

dont worry mate, your car never came with a cat anyway :)

Got my exhaust done yesterday on the corolla, really happy with it. 4" jap style slashed exit. Haven't had it made to be very loud but a lot less restrictive which has helped the performance a lot!!!

Pulls a lot better now and a much more smoother ride, I'm really going to aim for low 16's at Santa pod now. Sounds very cool on tick over and at low revs and it's nice to have that type of sound back.

post-50-1079793381.jpg

and one of the K&N. Still going to try and attempt a better cold air setup, might even consider a vent on the bonnet as the corolla engine is very tight to get any cold air pipes in.

Kev

post-50-1079793497.jpg

Kev mate that's a very nice looking Exhaust u got on there. I'll have to come down and have a look. Don't know the next time i'm down ure way but NPOC and North MSC have a meet up in Sheffield on the 28th if u wanna come along, have a look on the meets section on the MSC. :thumbsup:

Those Alloy's are growing on me, might look a bit better on my carina tho :P

MA12 aka Pete aka Doug :group-cuddles:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links