Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problems

mk1_salami

Hi,

I was wondering how much a new clutch for my car will cost including fitting. It's started to slip in 3rd and 4th after my 1/4 miling today (ran a best of 15.0) It's a 1997 n/a MR2.

Cheers

Graham

on mine the clutch was £400, the flywheel £200 and then a days labour (did a load of other stuff too).

My old Na was £99 for a clutch kit, and then about 6 hours labour ..

That's a !Removed! good run for an N/A!

Mine doesn't always engage reverse properly... But for some reason if I give it some revs then try again it works :wacko:

got my dads m8 to do it for a hundred quid, then another hundred on top for the (stock) clutch. He vowed never to touch an mr2 again, lol :D

funk: same prob here, but i find sticking it back into neutral, then dumping the clutch again usually helps.

I do remember reading something about the pressure plates not being correctly adjusted during a clutch refitting... can't rem tho, and its something i can live with til i get my upgraded clutch/flywheel setup :)

-Z

scratch what i just said abotu the clutch plate...

Just read through some stuff i'd saved on the 2 and found this bit taken from a forum:

"Gear hard to put into 1st and 2nd.

have you recently put in a new clutch? I had that problem before, however it was only giving me problem in First.. Turn out to be a bad presure plate.. I crack the presure plate in 3 different places.. from a run at the track.."

guess i mite have that as 1st and 2nd do seem to be a little difficult. :eek:

-Z

or it could just be a duff gearbox

please i beg u jim, don't say that!!! :crybaby:

ah well, i've decided ima stick with the n/a for a couple of yrs, so *maybe* i'll have it looked at...

-Z

ah well, i've decided ima stick with the n/a for a couple of yrs, so *maybe* i'll have it looked at...

-Z

I'll quote you that line when you look to get another '2'... :D

-Z

you could get it re-conditioned or get a re-conditioned one... miles cheaper than a new one. They are stupidly expensive !

If you ever did need a different one, I wouldn't go for a second hand one unless it was re-conditioned. Could have the same problems.

The clutch seems to be gripping a lot better than it did this afernoon. Not sure if the plates are glazed or what? It might get better - maybe not :wacko: Hopefully with a new clutch I should see late 14's though. Pretty good going for a N/A :thumbsup:

The clutch seems to be gripping a lot better than it did this afernoon. Not sure if the plates are glazed or what? It might get better - maybe not :wacko: Hopefully with a new clutch I should see late 14's though. Pretty good going for a N/A :thumbsup:

If you buy my coat hanger mod you could easily shave a second off that time.

I was at some lights the other day, my mate next to me in his focus... thought i'd joke about and pretend to race him...

So i put the power on and lifted the clutch, lots of revs no movement, into second for more grip, still nothing... see smoke going past me now..... into 3rd and i start to move off.... in a cloud of smoke.

the smoke smelled slightly of rubber, but a bit weird, like burning clutch.... so anyway, I was ****ting myself because i didn't want to Shell out for a new clutch and I wanted to get home that night.

When i moved off it was a bit juddery, but seems to be ok now, i think the clutch is on its way out, but hasn't finished yet.

fizz: i can see that omcing back to bite me in the ***** at a l8r date! as much as i want the raw power of the turbo i've decided ima get better with this. when i've reached my limit with the current power then i'll think about upgrading. plus with the amount of money im gonna put into this, i'd be pointless to sell it...

So in a straight i mite get my ***** whupped, but on twisties :thumbsup:

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links