Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ricky Gervais Causes Controversy

Raistlin

919F23493DC2D9D12C0FE736A509.jpg

Comedian Ricky Gervais has sparked complaints after he used the word 'Mong' to describe Susan Boyle.

The comic made the comment about the Scottish singer during part of his UK tour.

Bosses at the Down's Syndrome Association have since written to him to persuade him not to use the term, which is associated with people suffering from Down's Syndrome.

Part of his routine went: "Look at Susan Boyle - if you can. Well, she's a mong, isn't she? She looks like a mong, doesn't she?"

Xanthe Breen, from the Down's Syndrome Association, said: "We've had a campaign to have that particular word removed from common usage and we really don't want a resurgence.

"Families who live with Down's are left very upset by it. I have contacted Mr Gervais' PR company. I look forward to hearing from them."

Boyle declined to comment on the matter and a spokesman for Gervais would not address the new dispute.

Do you agree ?

If you ask me she looks like an Ogre ..... :oops: i feel a writ coming on :laughing: Its a good job Shrek's legal people don't know who i am :lol2:

gervais needs shot as he's become boring at the early age of 2.

Running 2 charities, both of whom work hard to get across that people with disabilities (of any sort) are capable of much more than they get allowed to give - viz the guy with aspergers who hacked into the US computers - if the computer security is that bad they should employ him!

Never liked the 'Office' stuff that gervais did, and struggle with the possibility he may come from a UK background. Although if he comes from wales then I could understand his warped mind.... and I know a great psychiatrist that could have helped him years ago - hitler.

If you ask me she looks like an Ogre ..... :oops: i feel a writ coming on :laughing: Its a good job Shrek's legal people don't know who i am :lol2:

not a big problem finding out - I just give my shopping list of all yer items to the local pub mafia and hey presto - I get the goods and yer address!!

I personally cannot abide ANY stand up,so called,Comedians, especially the above. :ffs:

They are not in the least bit funny or amusing, with the definite exception of The Big Yin :yahoo:

I personally cannot abide ANY stand up,so called,Comedians, especially the above. :ffs:

They are not in the least bit funny or amusing, with the definite exception of The Big Yin :yahoo:

I can take Ken Dodd - mainly as he made a fool of the taxman

I remember when he used to be funny...

What was it called, Oh Yeah ... the 80's

I remember when he used to be funny...

What was it called, Oh Yeah ... the 80's

wouldnie Ken

The use of words changes with each generation as does the acceptability of specific use.

The following terms have all been used for the same thing over time:

Christmas Lights

Fairy Lights

Decorative Lights

And the word !Removed! has been used for at least three different meanings over the last 100 years.

Some comedians use language to shock in the same way that some artists claim their work is provocative (whilst others call it rubbish). So what you get is the argument of being offensive running against the argument for free speech, everyone's right to put over their point of view. The list of words Mary Whitheouse would have found offensive is not the same as a list complied by Johnny Rotten.

Some people use certain words as that is how they were taught e.g. all Scottish people are called Jock and all Australian women are Sheila's, others use them to specifically insight hatred or cause offence. I think the context has to be taken into account as do the views of the person the comments were directed at.

The use of words changes with each generation as does the acceptability of specific use.

The following terms have all been used for the same thing over time:

Christmas Lights

Fairy Lights

Decorative Lights

And the word gay has been used for at least three different meanings over the last 100 years.

Some comedians use language to shock in the same way that some artists claim their work is provocative (whilst others call it rubbish). So what you get is the argument of being offensive running against the argument for free speech, everyone's right to put over their point of view. The list of words Mary Whitheouse would have found offensive is not the same as a list complied by Johnny Rotten.

Some people use certain words as that is how they were taught e.g. all Scottish people are called Jock and all Australian women are Sheila's, others use them to specifically insight hatred or cause offence. I think the context has to be taken into account as do the views of the person the comments were directed at.

Very true :thumbsup: But any fool can be foul mouthed & rude & call it Comedy. It takes Intelligence to be truly funny & a Comedian. Viz Morecambe and Wise or Tommy Cooper :yahoo:

Did you order this Soapbox... :D

Did you order this Soapbox... :D

No, no :nono: Much too expensive! :nerd: I have my collapseable one which I always carry with me, having frequent reasons to use it & give forth to the great unwashed :laughing:

TOC members are not included in that generalisation, of course :fear::help:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links