Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Servicing

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

I've ordered some engine oil, gearbox oil, oil filter and spark plugs for my car. Could someone tell me if I've got the right parts?

The rating on the engine oil states API SJ/SL/CF. ACEA A3/B3. BMW. Mercedes.

The gear box oil says that its recommended for use wherever a multigrade API GL5 lubricant is specified. Would this be suitable for my car? My owner's manual is vague on this.

I've also got some denso Iridium tough spark plugs for my car. There doesn't seem to be a part number that I can match up to in my owners manual. Would these be okay? And I've got a UFI oil filter 23.263.00

Lastly, does anyone know a reputable garage in Reading where I can see the work being done and trust its being done to a good standard?

Oh and how much oil can my gear box hold?

According to the bloke that I've ordered the parts from they are more than suitable. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure.

Edited by Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

You ordered parts before checking they were the right ones?? wacko.gif

I've checked with the bloke I bought them from. Just wanted to make sure...

Phew! You're not completely mad then! :lol: ;)

Just mad enough to buy the very best for my car and spend near enough £100 on the parts alone ;). I love my Yaris!

I've had a look at the good garage scheme and am still a little dubious.

Has anyone got any experience with Fram and UFI oil filters? A lot of bad press about FRAM, UFI seems much better. Has anyone ever used one?

Also, any idea how much oil my gear box will hold?

Why would you be dubious about the good garage scheme?

You asked for reputable garages in Reading and i went to the time and effort to find the relevant info for you, only for you to be "Dubious"?

Remind me to NOT help you again! :ffs:

If your that concerened about your precious Yaris, do the work yourself and learn something! :angry:

Oh don't be like that Raeman, I love you loong time. Allow me to explain.

I've had a look at the good garages scheme and it provides feedback from customers, how it works and what not which is great. I just wonder if the standards are upheld all the time and I like to watch whats going on with my car too.

I'd love to do the work myself but too scared I'll wreck something and where I live space is limited!

I do thank you for your help and your posts are always insightful! ;)

I've ordered some engine oil, gearbox oil, oil filter and spark plugs for my car. Could someone tell me if I've got the right parts?

The rating on the engine oil states API SJ/SL/CF. ACEA A3/B3. BMW. Mercedes.

The gear box oil says that its recommended for use wherever a multigrade API GL5 lubricant is specified. Would this be suitable for my car? My owner's manual is vague on this.

I've also got some denso iridium tough spark plugs for my car. There doesn't seem to be a part number that I can match up to in my owners manual. Would these be okay? And I've got a UFI oil filter 23.263.00

Lastly, does anyone know a reputable garage in Reading where I can see the work being done and trust its being done to a good standard?

Oh and how much oil can my gear box hold?

According to the bloke that I've ordered the parts from they are more than suitable. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure.

The spec on both oils are fine for your car, personally I would use a semi synthetic gearbox oil, oh btw don't forget to purchase the gearbox filler and drain plug washers ( approx £3 for both from Mr T), if not replaced will almost certainly end up leaking oil.

As for the oil filter what is wrong with an original Toyota replacement?

Could you tell me how much oil my gear box holds? Is it more than one litre? If Toyota use Fram oil filters then from what I've read they're rubbish and you're much better off with a UFI or K&N filter.

Could you tell me how much oil my gear box holds? Is it more than one litre? If Toyota use Fram oil filters then from what I've read they're rubbish and you're much better off with a UFI or K&N filter.

Yaris requires between 1.5 and 2 litres oil in gearbox - depends on model..

Amazing how you damn Toyota filters without knowing anything about them....:-)

I would imagine Toyota sell 100 Million plus oil filters a year around the world, I have never heard of ONE go faulty, unlike Fram and the like, spend £7 plus the VAT and you have the proper thing that does not go wrong ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

According to this review:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21883344-Tech-Review-The-Long-Waited-FRAM-OIL-FILTER-REVIEW

http://tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml

Fram are the worst out there it seems. I know the reviews are for bike filters but even various car forums said to steer clear of Fram filters. Luckily I decided to go for a UFI filter this time and the reviews are pretty positive.

I should take two litres of brake fluid with me then.

For the brake fluid, would this stuff be okay?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-894-motul-rbf-600-factory-line-racing-brake-fluid.aspx#productDetails

Again, my owner's manual provides me with no information (as far as I can see) as to how many litres I will need.

Your gearbox holds 1.4 litres.

In your previous posts you praise Toyota cars for being the most reliable but I can't understand why you don't replace essential parts with the ones that make them so reliable in the first place, obviously there are exceptions to the rule such as engine oil, washer fluid etc. When buying a second hand car there is nothing worse than seeing aftermarket service parts fitted, it says 'I've been done on the cheap' to me, but that's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong here. I think Toyota are amongst the best and most reliable out there and I love and adore my Yaris. I've tried to keep it as it is and not modify it in any way. However, I strive to do the very best by it by buying fully synthetic engine, gear box oil and brake fluid. I'll be buying the coolant from Toyota.

I've just read here and there that Fram filters are rubbish and that I'm better with a UFI filter so I decided to buy one and give it a go.

How much brake fluid will I need?

Don't get me wrong here. I think Toyota are amongst the best and most reliable out there and I love and adore my Yaris. I've tried to keep it as it is and not modify it in any way. However, I strive to do the very best by it by buying fully synthetic engine, gear box oil and brake fluid. I'll be buying the coolant from Toyota.

I've just read here and there that Fram filters are rubbish and that I'm better with a UFI filter so I decided to buy one and give it a go.

How much brake fluid will I need?

You do not want to believe everything that you read on the internet!

FRAM have been producing filters for the automotive and engineering industry for many years now and have built up an excellent reputation for quality filters.........Toyota source their service items from reputable sources and would not put their name on inferior products.

You cannot go far wrong by sticking to the Original Equipment.

You should also note that many garages will refuse to fit components that they do not supply themselves.

It might be a good idea for you to invest in a Haynes Workshop Manual for your Yaris.......As well as learning a lot about your car you will get all servicing capacities listed and may give you the confidence to carry out some of the servicing yourself :thumbsup:

I recently changed the gearbox oil in my Yaris D4D. I used a Mobil grade of fully synthetic lubricant called: Mobilube 1 SHC, which has a viscosity of 75W 90 and has the necessary approvals for the car. Just one word of warning. My car required approximately 2 litres of gearbox oil. However, I ordered 3 litres to allow for the fact you lose some in spillages etc when pumping it into the car. You will also require the drain and filler plug gaskets (same part number for both on my car), as others have stated on the forum.

As for the oil, air, fuel and pollen filters, I would only ever use genuine Toyota parts. The genuine OEM filters are the only ones to have been fully substantiated by Toyota's Engineers to satisfy the performance requirements of your car. They are also very reasonably priced.

I’ve got a Haynes manual for my Yaris but a lot of it still looks pretty daunting! I’m afraid that if I do any serious work on it I’ll either do it wrong, break something or God knows what and end up with a very expensive repair bill from the professionals.

I know a couple of garages who are happy to fit the parts for me. They’re back in Oxfordshire and I’m hoping to find someone in Reading but might stick with them as I know them.

I’ve got Fram engine and cabin filters at the minute. They don’t seem too bad. How do I get a hold of some OEM ones? From Mr. T again?

I think my car holds 1.4 litres of gear box oil but I’ll check again to make sure. I’ll also be sure to get a sump plug for the engine oil change, drain and filler plug gaskets from Mr. T as well as the coolant.

Thanks for your help! Its much appreciated.

You can purchase all spares/service parts over the counter at a Toyota dealer. My local Toyota garage in Leeds had to order the gearbox gaskets, as they didn't keep them in stock. I don't think you will have to replace the radiator drain plug 'O'-ring, as it can be re-used. I am pretty sure you would have to order a complete drain plug assembly if you want to replace the said seal. The engine coolant will cost you about twenty five pounds from Toyota.

I will need to ask for an engine oil sump plug, gearbox gaskets, drain and filler plug from Mr. T?

I will need to ask for an engine oil sump plug, gearbox gaskets, drain and filler plug from Mr. T?

You only need the gaskets....................not new plugs :thumbsup:

Okay... So I ask for an engine oil sump plug and gearbox gaskets? Why not drain and filler plugs? :S

I think that you would be best leaving the work to someone who knows what they are doing! :eek:

You need to ask for a sump plug gasket and gaskets for both the filler and drain plugs for the gearbox (these are made from aluminium and resemble metal washers). You should have change from a fiver.

So I ask for plugs for both, sump plugg gasket and gaskets for both the filler and drain plugs for the gear box? :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links