Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Teethbrushing

Raistlin

People who fail to brush their teeth twice a day have a higher chance of heart disease, research has shown.

The link between gum disease and heart problems is already known, but experts have now been able to measure the effect of daily brushing.

A new study found that people who never or rarely brush their teeth are 70% more likely to suffer heart disease as those who brush twice a day.

BC9F2ECEBD6FC12B673DCCBBA21CC.jpg

However, the overall risk from poor oral hygiene remains quite low, they said.

Experts from University College London analysed data for more than 11,000 people with an average age of 50 taking part in the Scottish Health Survey. They looked at people's brushing habits as well as their lifestyles, such as whether they smoked or took exercise.

People were asked how often they visited their dentist (at least once every six months, every one to two years, or rarely/never) and how often they brushed their teeth (twice a day, once a day or less than once a day). Separate details were collected on people's medical histories, blood pressure, and their family's history of heart disease. Blood samples were also taken to measure markers of inflammation in the blood.

Just over six out of 10 (62%) people visited their dentist every six months, while 71% said they brushed their teeth twice a day.

During eight years of follow-up, there were 555 examples of serious heart problems, mostly caused by heart disease, including heart attacks. Of these, 170 were fatal.

The experts found that people who never or rarely brushed their teeth were 70% more likely to suffer heart disease than those who brushed twice a day.

This held true even when factors likely to influence the results - such as obesity and smoking - were taken into account.

Poor oral hygiene was also linked to low-grade inflammation in the blood and the lack of ability to pull an attractive partner...

I practise excellent Oral hygene :thumbsup:

Mine sit soaking in the glass, smiling at me, all night :D

In Scotland, the reasons of death categories are, for doctors, laid down into a simple form:

1. Murder

2. Suicide

3. Heart attack

4. Drug/drink overdose

5. Suffocation from any of the above

To try to categorise outside of these incurs the likelihood of a sudden death inquiry, with all the paperwork that goes with it... so the doctors keep to the above accepted reasons and have done for 30+years. Then we get stuck with a number cruncher working with flawed stats...who then dies from being run over by a tram....the 6th category.

:teeth_chattering_lg_clr.gif:eek::lol:

Mine sit soaking in the glass, smiling at me, all night :D

:teeth_chattering_lg_clr.gifeek.giflaugh.gif

Mine sit soaking in the glass, smiling at me, all night biggrin.gif

There are not his, they're smiling... unsure.gif

Ha bloody Ha :lol:

I'll have you to know that I am noted for my cheerful demeanour :thumbsup: I always smile at people before I stab them in the back :yes:

I always smile at people before I stab them in the back yes.gif

Is that why you are always behind them...

I always smile at people before I stab them in the back yes.gif

Is that why you are always behind them...

only if it is a bootylicious Female [Human :lol: ]

I've seen why you walk a few paces behind drool.gif

And agreed with my choice of walking position :thumbsup:

Wives should always walk a respectful distance behind their Husbands [ and carry the shopping :D ] except in suspected minefields, where they walk in front & Hubby carries the bags :lol2:

And agreed with my choice of walking position :thumbsup:

Wives should always walk a respectful distance behind their Husbands [ and carry the shopping :D ] except in suspected minefields, where they walk in front & Hubby carries the bags :lol2:

:lol: ahh Victor you've surpassed yourself :toast: lurrrved that response :laughing: :lol2: over to you Raist :boxing: ..... i'm off to eat my :chinese: Chinese blow out :drool: , cooked by none other than my lovely missus , back ( maybe ) in a mo :D

And agreed with my choice of walking position thumbsup.gif

Wives should always walk a respectful distance behind their Husbands [ and carry the shopping biggrin.gif ] except in suspected minefields, where they walk in front & Hubby carries the bags lol.gif

laugh.gif ahh Victor you've surpassed yourself toast.gif lurrrved that response laughing.giflol.gif over to you Raist boxing.gif ..... i'm off to eat my chinese.gif Chinese blow out drool.gif , cooked by none other than my lovely missus , back ( maybe ) in a mo biggrin.gif

I bow to Biz's wealth of experience in dealing with the fairer sex after all he's been around longer than most of us....

And agreed with my choice of walking position thumbsup.gif

Wives should always walk a respectful distance behind their Husbands [ and carry the shopping biggrin.gif ] except in suspected minefields, where they walk in front & Hubby carries the bags lol.gif

laugh.gif ahh Victor you've surpassed yourself toast.gif lurrrved that response laughing.giflol.gif over to you Raist boxing.gif ..... i'm off to eat my chinese.gif Chinese blow out drool.gif , cooked by none other than my lovely missus , back ( maybe ) in a mo biggrin.gif

I bow to Biz's wealth of experience in dealing with the fairer sex after all he's been around longer than most of us....

I give lectures, illustrated, at very reasonable prices, to those in need :bookworm: :sneaky2:

Burp.pngEr Pardon me .... Longer than most of us you say?

No wonder you had a "Burp" funny :lol: It didn't take you long to get that down you :eat::ermm:

Yup :thumbsup: Oldest active member :wheelchair::oops: I'd better qualify that, knowing the sort of minds that haunt this forum :lol2:= Oldest paid up & active Poster :driving::clap:

No wonder you had a "Burp" funny laugh.gif It didn't take you long to get that down you eat.gifermm.gif

Yup thumbsup.gif Oldest active member wheelchair.gifoops.gif I'd better qualify that, knowing the sort of minds that haunt this forum lol.gif= Oldest paid up & active Poster driving.gifclap.gif

When you say active... :D

No wonder you had a "Burp" funny laugh.gif It didn't take you long to get that down you eat.gifermm.gif

Yup thumbsup.gif Oldest active member wheelchair.gifoops.gif I'd better qualify that, knowing the sort of minds that haunt this forum lol.gif= Oldest paid up & active Poster driving.gifclap.gif

When you say active... :D

As I feared :help2: A prime example of the sort of minds which haunt this forum :laughing:

When you say active... biggrin.gif

As I feared help.gif A prime example of the sort of minds which haunt this forum laughing.gif

It must be like looking in a cerebral mirror helpsmilie.gif

When you say active... biggrin.gif

As I feared help.gif A prime example of the sort of minds which haunt this forum laughing.gif

It must be like looking in a cerebral mirror helpsmilie.gif

Twins, Triplets, Or Quadruplets @ heart? :eek: Raist, Balli, Steve & me with Kynan thrown in for good measure, making Quins, :group-cuddles: :disgust:

All for one...

What a merry band band.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links