Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gay Asylum Seekers Win Case To Stay

Raistlin

Two gay refugees refused asylum after being told they could avoid persecution in their homeland by behaving discreetly have won their appeals at the highest court in the land.

The new Government had already promised to review the policy before the Supreme Court ruling.

One of the men involved, known as "T", appealed against a decision that he could return to his native Cameroon, despite the fact that he was attacked by a mob after he was seen kissing a male partner. The other, known as "J", from Iran, was told he could be expected to tolerate conditions arising from his homosexual relationship in his home country, and should behave discreetly to avoid reprisals.

Punishment for homosexual acts ranges from public flogging to execution in Iran, and in Cameroon jail sentences for homosexuality range from six months to five years.

The Court of Appeal had found that both men could conceal their sexual orientation to avoid the risk of being persecuted and neither had a "well-founded fear of persecution" which entitled them to protection under the UN Convention for refugees.

The Supreme Court justices unanimously found that the test applied by the Court of Appeal was contrary to the Convention and should not be followed in the future. Both cases will be sent back for reconsideration in light of the guidance from the Supreme Court.

Lord Hope, deputy president of the court, who headed a panel of five justices who heard the case over three days in May, said that to compel a homosexual to pretend that their sexuality does not exist or can be suppressed was to deny him his fundamental right to be who he is.

Lord Rodger said the normal behaviour of gay people must be protected as it was for straight people. He said: "What is protected is the applicant's right to live freely and openly as a gay man. To illustrate the point with trivial stereotypical examples from British society: just as male heterosexuals are free to enjoy themselves playing rugby, drinking beer and talking about girls with their mates, so male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates."

Home Secretary Theresa May said: "I welcome the ruling of the Supreme Court, which vindicates the position of the coalition Government. We have already promised to stop the removal of asylum seekers who have had to leave particular countries because their sexual orientation or gender identification puts them at proven risk of imprisonment, torture or execution. I do not believe it is acceptable to send people home and expect them to hide their sexuality to avoid persecution.

"From today, asylum decisions will be considered under the new rules and the judgment gives an immediate legal basis for us to reframe our guidance for assessing claims based on sexuality, taking into account relevant country guidance and the merits of each individual case."

Brighton is on standby...

I would imagine that they felt very gay after winning their case :yahoo:

Why is the punishment in those Countries so severe for being happy? :unsure::rolleyes:

As if we don't already have enough... issues with asylum seekers.

The other side of the coin....... I heard tell that the Asylum was seeking You :wacko::yahoo:

why hide behind the cloak, why dont you just say whats really in your mind? do you have problems with assylum seekers or homosexuals?

You did get a good nights sleep, you seem to have woken up with a sense of humour...

Oh, how we have missed that lately biggrin.gif

why hide behind the cloak, why don't you just say what's really in your mind? do you have problems with assylum seekers or homosexuals?

No :excl: I am extremely tolerant of all people, as long as they return the compliment :angel:

The only exception I make is for those who cannot spell....."assylum" ????? :laughing:

& Raist had already spelled it for you :thumbsup:

So there ! :bangin:

why hide behind the cloak, why dont you just say whats really in your mind? do you have problems with assylum seekers or and homosexuals?

No, I do have issues with poor spelling and english skills..

And I always wear a cloak look at my Avatar

Cameroon's government has rejected the claim by a gay asylum seeker in the UK that he would face persecution if he returned home.

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court in London ruled in favour of the man, and a similar claimant from Iran.

Homosexuality in Cameroon is punishable by up to three years in jail.

However, Cameroon's communications minister told the BBC homosexuals were free to behave as they wished in private without any harassment.

"Homosexuality is forbidden by the law, there is not doubt. But what I can emphasise is the fact that no homosexual is persecuted in Cameroon"," Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma said.

He told the BBC's Network Africa programme that the claimant was simply using the law as an excuse to claim asylum in Britain.

"Do you think he is the only gay person in Cameroon ?"

Cameroon's government has rejected the claim by a gay asylum seeker in the UK that he would face persecution if he returned home.

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court in London ruled in favour of the man, and a similar claimant from Iran.

Homosexuality in Cameroon is punishable by up to three years in jail.

However, Cameroon's communications minister told the BBC homosexuals were free to behave as they wished in private without any harassment.

"Homosexuality is forbidden by the law, there is not doubt. But what I can emphasise is the fact that no homosexual is persecuted in Cameroon"," Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma said.

He told the BBC's Network Africa programme that the claimant was simply using the law as an excuse to claim asylum in Britain.

"Do you think he is the only gay person in Cameroon ?"

But he isn't in Cameroon! :blink:

No, but he was and now he slipped in through the backdoor claiming it was all behind him...

No, but he was and now he slipped in through the backdoor claiming it was all behind him...

Ouch ! He is innocent...... you are not :nono:

Guilty as charged my Learned Friend, of terrible puns & illtreatment of the English Language. Sentenced to be Bowdlerised :laughing:

Mod's, he is trying to castrate my humour tongue.gif

Mod's, he is trying to castrate my humour tongue.gif

Wot you moanin about? :unsure:

Mods have been trying to do that for years :P

Except Merc Boy he's cool :D

Except Merc Boy he's cool :D

I hate to do this to you.... but I totally agree :thumbsup:

It's far to late to be nice now...

It's far to late to be nice now...

Sorry :P but it is actually very early...00.35, to be precise :yawn: Start the day as you mean to continue & be nice to Raist :sick:

Won't last. Never does. :2guns:

Too true..

Life is full of frustrations & annoyances :(

There is no way to reply to the quoted post, which means Raist has the last word, Again

Heh. Heh. :P Actually he hasn't, coz I've just replied. :toast:

If you are certain then...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links