Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Vx

kirky71

Hi guys I'm a newbie and need some help and advice on a 2001 Rav4 VX with a 2.0 VVTi on board. Since owning the vehicle it has become very sluggish and seems to take a week just to accelerate to a decent speed and it is particularly bad accelerating through second gear. It has been serviced recently and the garage reckons that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm starting to think maybe a blockage in the fuel injectors??????? Anyone else had any similar problem like this?

It also smells really strong of fuel when you start it up (just to add/forgot that bit lol)

Any advice, hints or tips would be great.

First things to suspect are the ignition coils. Each spark plug has a coil fitted on top which converts the low voltage supply to high voltage (tension) in order to jump the spark plug gap. If one or more of these not working, your acceleration will obviously be poor, and since the fuel introduced to the cylinder(s) is not being burnt, it come out the exhaust system as a raw pong of petrol.

I would add that I have only recently had an exact case of this on a nephew's Renault Megane, not on wife's wee Rav, so I could be talkin' mince...as usual?

Don't go out and buy a full set willy-nilly, as they ain't cheap. Buy a wee in-line spark plug test light at Halfrauds and check each one individually.

If I am correct, Anchs and Bothy will be more than impressed.....

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

Halfrauds :lol: I like that. I'll add that to Little Thief lol

The garage is supposed to have checked out all the plugs, timings etc but I guess it's the usual "sorry guv'nor couldn't find owt wrong wiv it" . Lazy sods more like!!! :censor:

The other comment of look at the MAF too. What is that?

The mass air flow meter is in the air intake. They can usually be cleaned but it won't run properly if it is dirty or faulty. This is on an FJ Cruiser but you'll get the idea;

Cheers guys now I've got somewhere to start I'll give it a looking over. It's the wife's car mainly so best get it sorted.................. for the sake of my ears lol :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links