Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question About Gg's

pmb

The original Bridgestones have finally bit the dust after nearly 8 years and 46k miles so had 5 GG's (UHP) fitted today as I know several others have on here. However , I see they are directional. It appears that one side is the wrong way round but I can't notice any tread differences. Is it ok to run with these? Never saw this mentioned on other threads on here and didn't realize they were directional.

The original Bridgestones have finally bit the dust after nearly 8 years and 46k miles so had 5 GG's (UHP) fitted today as I know several others have on here. However , I see they are directional. It appears that one side is the wrong way round but I can't notice any tread differences. Is it ok to run with these? Never saw this mentioned on other threads on here and didn't realize they were directional.

Hi PMB,

UHPs seem to get good reviews where they are used primarily for road duty. However, directional tyre treads are designed to be efficient in one direction of rotation only. See here:LINK

If they have been fitted incorectly I would suggest you get back to the tyre centre ASAP for them to sort it :thumbsup:

Unless of course you do a lot of reversing at speed in which case you will need to get 3 changed! :lol:

Thanks for the replies. Had another look and they are mounted the correct way which is why I couldn't understand that the tread looked the right way round. Never had directional tyres before but it looks like they can be mounted either way depending on which side of the vehicle it is used on. That now brings the question - should I have only bought 4 and a uni-directional as a temp spare because it's wrong for one side of the vehicle? There are some coloured lines around the tyres and I can see that on one side they are on the inside of the tyre and on the other they are on the outside. Sorry for having lead a sheltered life!

Thanks for the replies. Had another look and they are mounted the correct way which is why I couldn't understand that the tread looked the right way round. Never had directional tyres before but it looks like they can be mounted either way depending on which side of the vehicle it is used on. That now brings the question - should I have only bought 4 and a uni-directional as a temp spare because it's wrong for one side of the vehicle? There are some coloured lines around the tyres and I can see that on one side they are on the inside of the tyre and on the other they are on the outside. Sorry for having lead a sheltered life!

As far as I understand, a directional tyre can be run in contra rotation to the indicated rotation direction with little effect on the tyre. However, though there is likely to be little difference in grip in the dry, aquaplaning in the wet is drastically increased as the water is effecively pumped towards the centre of the tyre and has nowhere to go :eek:

I guess that, so long as the vehicle is driven with care and things were corrected as soon as practically possible it would be unlikely to be a problem.

Do be aware that having directional tyres fitted in reverse is a fail at MOT. Make sure that, if you have any work done on the vehicle and the wheels are taken off, they are re-fitted correctly :thumbsup:

As far as I understand, a directional tyre can be run in contra rotation to the indicated rotation direction with little effect on the tyre. However, though there is likely to be little difference in grip in the dry, aquaplaning in the wet is drastically increased as the water is effecively pumped towards the centre of the tyre and has nowhere to go :eek:

I guess that, so long as the vehicle is driven with care and things were corrected as soon as practically possible it would be unlikely to be a problem.

Do be aware that having directional tyres fitted in reverse is a fail at MOT. Make sure that, if you have any work done on the vehicle and the wheels are taken off, they are re-fitted correctly :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Davrav , that agrees with my searches on the net. Just don't understand why generaltire nor event-tyres don't say on their websites it is directional.(nor any other tyre sites)

I had General Grabbers on my RAV and do not recall them being directional (from memory and no longer got the car)

I presume there is a "Rotation" and arrow molding on the tyre that is telling you?

Interesting that the coloured bands are on different sides on different tyres. I fitted a brand new set of alloys and Tyres to a Peugeot 306 last week. Those tyres were Directional, and I just looked and see that in the Left (passenger) side, the bands are on the inner half and on the other Right (Driver) side, the bands are on the outer half. Not sure if that positioning of bands means anything or is random. Most tyres do have an Inner and an Outer side for correct fitting.

EDIT:

An interesting (but geeky) bit of reading:

What the Coloured Bands Mean

I had General Grabbers on my RAV and do not recall them being directional (from memory and no longer got the car)

I presume there is a "Rotation" and arrow molding on the tyre that is telling you?

Interesting that the coloured bands are on different sides on different tyres.  I fitted a brand new set of Alloys and Tyres to a Peugeot 306 last week.  Those tyres were Directional, and I just looked and see that in the Left (passenger) side, the bands are on the inner half and on the other Right (Driver) side, the bands are on the outer half.  Not sure if that positioning of bands means anything or is random.  Most tyres do have an Inner and an Outer side for correct fitting.

EDIT:

An interesting (but geeky) bit of reading:

What the Coloured Bands Mean

Yes it says rotation and there is an arrow. Surprised I don't recall it mentioned on here as there were several threads about them but noticed it elsewhere with a google. Maybe the pattern has been changed? The tyres have 3 bands on them red , yellow and blue. Don't appear to be symetrical as that link recommends but drive ok so far and seem to be quiet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links