Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Valve

T180 BT20

Ok so I got all the warning lights come on yesterday and car was way down on power so I assumed EGR valve was sooted up. Today no warnings came on and the car was driving really well but I took the EGR off and cleaned it. The manifold was partially blocked with soot too.

This is a new EGR valve fitted by Toyota 5 months ago and my questions are : if the valve is sticking will I get a warning code? I simply cleaned out the unit in an ultrasonic bath. Secondly is there a recommended diesel fuel or additive I can use to stop this (quite common) problem happening again?

Cheers

Ron

Ok so I got all the warning lights come on yesterday and car was way down on power so I assumed EGR valve was sooted up. Today no warnings came on and the car was driving really well but I took the EGR off and cleaned it. The manifold was partially blocked with soot too.

This is a new EGR valve fitted by Toyota 5 months ago and my questions are : if the valve is sticking will I get a warning code? I simply cleaned out the unit in an ultrasonic bath. Secondly is there a recommended diesel fuel or additive I can use to stop this (quite common) problem happening again?

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

many of the members on the forum have come to the conclusion that supermarket diesel is a major cause of the EGR problems. If you clean the valve out then run on one of the well known brands of fuel there should be enough additive in that to considerably reduce if not eliminate the soot build up.

Out of 11,000 miles that Funnerburd Wan has travelled, at least 7000 has been done using Shell V-Power diesel.

In a couple of weeks time, in passing through that strange Derbyshire landscape, I may allow Anchorman one more interference with my jide and proy, by showing me how to properly clean my EGR valve.

V-Power diesel, as we all know, is not the cheapest, and it is my intent to report back on our findings, as I feel that the performance of The Kingo Chipped engine has "fallen off a touch....", or is it familiarity breeds contempt scenario?

Will return from south coast of Poor World Cup Team w/c 23.8.2010 and speak re. improvement or otherwise then.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

He uses bold type because he knows I will have his car in bits which scare him somewhat.

If the EGR sticks bad enough you will get all sorts of warnings and it will store 0400 fault code. As the others say, using high grade diesel seems to reduce the risk but if your car is still under warranty let them sort it out. There is a modified EGR, did they fit it?

He uses bold type because he knows I will have his car in bits which scare him somewhat.

If the EGR sticks bad enough you will get all sorts of warnings and it will store 0400 fault code. As the others say, using high grade diesel seems to reduce the risk but if your car is still under warranty let them sort it out. There is a modified EGR, did they fit it?

Cant be sure of the fault code as I have no way of tracing it but I'm assuming the EGR was the modified one as only fitted this year, how do I know if it is the modded one?

Thanks for the info Anchorman, no more Tesco diesel for me it seems!!

Ron

Ron

Refer to this post which tells you the new part number and where the part number can be found.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96779&view=findpost&p=884056

If you have the new valve you should be OK but if not you could go back and ask for it. You can buy a code reader for about £25 off eBay and it should have stored a code if the lights were on. It all helps bring a case for more warranty work.

Ron

Refer to this post which tells you the new part number and where the part number can be found.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96779&view=findpost&p=884056

If you have the new valve you should be OK but if not you could go back and ask for it. You can buy a code reader for about £25 off ebay and it should have stored a code if the lights were on. It all helps bring a case for more warranty work.

Excellent info, even though my car is outside warranty they did the EGR and fitted a new "brain" earlier this year. Will check all this out and also try and find a code reader on flea-bay.

Good stuff as always,

thanks AM

Ron

Ron

If you have the new valve you should be OK but if not you could go back and ask for it. You can buy a code reader for about £25 off ebay and it should have stored a code if the lights were on. It all helps bring a case for more warranty work.

Excellent info, even though my car is outside warranty they did the EGR and fitted a new "brain" earlier this year. Will check all this out and also try and find a code reader on flea-bay.

Good stuff as always,

thanks AM

Ron

Ron

the EGR is only part of the problem chain in the future subject you will not stop to use supermarket diesel at discounted price. THis supposed discount would be accumulated and spent for possible major repair. It is a big risk. SO, what do you have now - an issue with EGR valve but this one is mounted before turbocharger and you can imagine how does it live with carbon inside :) you'll have a vanes sticking issue in the future --- STOP using of this falce diesel. But be sure the injection process is in order !!! Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links