Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Us Scientist Says Much Surface Gulf Oil 'dispersed'

Raistlin

_48519372_thtyvqbj.gif

Oil from BP's damaged Gulf of Mexico well is clearing from the sea surface faster than expected, scientists say, 100 days after the disaster began.

Jane Lubchenco, head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said much oil had been "biodegraded by naturally occurring bacteria".

But concerns remain about the spill's unseen effects.

Mr Dudley described the oil spill as a terrible tragedy from which the company and the industry would learn a lot.

On Tuesday, BP reported a record $17bn (£11bn) loss, having set aside $32bn to cover the costs of the spill.

'Aggressive efforts'

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday evening, Jane Lubchenco said: "We do know that over 600 miles of the Gulf coast shoreline have already been oiled and some remains on the surface, although the amount on the surface is less and less as our very aggressive efforts to contain it have been successful."

The US incident commander, retired Coast Guard Adm Thad Allen, said oil skimming crews were having trouble finding oil to clean up.

"What we're trying to figure out is where is all the oil at and what can we do about it," he said.

"What we're seeing are mats, patties, small concentrations, very hard to detect, but they're out there."

Meanwhile, a report in the Washington Post newspaper suggested the US was establishing a team of investigators to run a criminal inquiry into whether close ties between BP and federal regulators contributed to 20 April disaster.

The team, called the "BP squad," is also looking at Transocean, which operated the rig, and Halliburton, the Houston-Texas based company that cemented the well in the hours before the rig exploded, the Post reported.

Several inquiries are already underway, including a Justice Department investigation and state criminal probes in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

'Static kill'

On 20 April, the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 workers and causing an oil spill that soon became the worst environmental disaster in US history

For three months, a massive slick has threatened the shores of Louisiana and other southern Gulf Coast states.

BP put a cap on the well on 15 July, but at least three million barrels of oil are thought to have leaked into the ocean.

Mr Dudley, who this week was named BP's first American CEO, replacing Tony Hayward, said that by Monday the company would begin a "static kill" effort to plug up the well permanently.

"I believe there will be no more oil spilling into the gulf after the 15th of July," Mr Dudley told US television.

I'm sure I read about another major spill in China :unsure: :ffs:

It makes me sick to think of the waste of a vital & dwindling resource, & the damage done to the Marine environment. Oceans are being fished out & how many millions of fish have been killed by this, not to mention krill & Seabirds :disgust:

I'm sure I read about another major spill in China unsure.gifcursing.gif

It makes me sick to think of the waste of a vital & dwindling resource, & the damage done to the Marine environment. Oceans are being fished out & how many millions of fish have been killed by this, not to mention krill & Seabirds disgust.gif

Look on the brightside it will give the Irish an in to sell more spuds, I can see it now Chips & Chips as there are no more fish available...

Look on the brightside it will give the Irish an in to sell more spuds, I can see it now Chips & Chips as there are no more fish available...

Mmmmm battered chips with chips.... I reckon they will be sold in Scotland first huh.giftongue.gif

I'm sure I read about another major spill in China unsure.gifcursing.gif

It makes me sick to think of the waste of a vital & dwindling resource, & the damage done to the Marine environment. Oceans are being fished out & how many millions of fish have been killed by this, not to mention krill & Seabirds disgust.gif

Sounds a bit fishy to me :wacko: You'd better look out :eek: You could disappear some dark night :eat: Of course, that could happen anyway :ph34r::lol:

Just offering a suggestion to aid your third world economy crybaby.gif

Just offering a suggestion to aid your third world economy crybaby.gif

Having been tried & tested in yours? :yahoo::spiteful:

All the duff recipes go past the wall...

All the duff recipes go past the wall...

But this wasn't a recipe for Duff :wacko: This was for Spuds & Spuds :rolleyes:

All those developing Alzheimer's, please refer back to their previous posts, or prepare to be put in a home for the Bewildered :wacko::lol:

I'm sorry what was the post again laugh.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links