Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipad Owner?

Bizarra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• KPARRIS-JONES

• Bizarra

• Jan&tone

It's usually your cheeks! tongue.gif

Rule the day when we meet at a TOC function, there will not be enough pain killers to help.... boxing.gifcrutch.gif

Not this time, I have just signed up a new company so I might have to work for a while ohmy.gif

God forbid you get off your a*se to do something.... :rolleyes:

Not that I can say much seeing as I have finally cracked the 100 post mark a few times today.... :unsure:

God forbid you get off your a*se to do something.... rolleyes.gif

Not that I can say much seeing as I have finally cracked the 100 post mark a few times today.... unsure.gif

Easy Peasy

I notice in the paper today that despite being in the red, Leicester City Council are considering buying Ipads for all councillors - so now we have proof that OUR money is being wasted!!!! (as if we really needed the proof that is)

Digital Life: Would I iPad? Yes and no

By Ronan Price

Tuesday August 03 2010

Apple's latest gadget has hit Irish shores, and has sparked demand and debate in equal measure. So, is it really worth the hefty price tag?

1 The iPad packs incredible muscle into a small space. Its physical presence amounts to barely more than its 10-inch screen and yet as a computer it feels blazingly fast for navigating the web, email, photos, music, reading books, etc.

2 It possesses impressive staying power. Hammering the Battery via frequent use of the internet connection and watching videos still got me almost three days on a single charge.

If you were careful, you could probably get a week.

3 Compatibility with iPhone apps gives the iPad an instant library of 250,000 programs.

From the simplest currency converter to full-blown sat-nav software, nothing's more than a few taps away in the iTunes Store. Not to mention the millions of songs and thousands of movies also available to buy wirelessly.

4 Innovative apps developed specifically for the iPad point to a new direction for computing. It's a fascinating crossroads where fingertip controls, the large touchscreen and the bottomless well of the internet meet.

Publications such as Wired and aggregators such as Flipboard showcase, for example, the eye-opening potential for interactive magazines, incorporating text, photos and videos in slick packaging.

5 Detractors are keen to point out what the iPad is missing versus a full computer. But most people will find it meets 90pc of their needs, with the absent 10pc compensated for by the sheer tactile pleasure of swiping at the screen instead of foostering with a mouse and keyboard.

You won't catch any viruses, nor can you lose your documents. True, half the video and many games on the web are off limits because the iPad doesn't support Flash but there's always YouTube and the myriad games in the app store. 1 There'll be another one along one in a minute. Well, a few months. Just as Apple introduces an improved iPhone every summer, the iPad will follow the same pattern.

1 There'll be another one along one in a minute. Well, a few months. Just as Apple introduces an improved iPhone every summer, the iPad will follow the same pattern.

No doubt the next one will address niggles, such as the lack of a camera, and wise computer heads never advocate buying the first version of any product.

2 Bar a power adaptor, you get bugger-all with the iPad. Not a cloth to clean the screen that attracts fingerprints like a magnet. Not a pair of headphones.

Expensive, but some would say crucial, accessories (eg, case €30, keyboard €70, camera connector €30, word processor €8) bump up the cost of what is already a luxury item.

3 It cannot replace your computer -- yet. As with an iPod or iPhone, you need to hook up the iPad periodically to a Mac or PC to load music, photos, etc.

Lacking a camera, it can't do video-chats or snap pictures -- though Skype voice-chat is possible with a headset.

4 The iPad already lags the multitasking software of the iPhone. With the fix not due until November, iPad owners are stuck with the clumsy inability to run two programs properly at once. It was an annoyance on iPhone until recently but it's infuriating on iPad.

5 It's quite heavy and uncomfortable to hold with one hand like a book. Speaking of which, the iBook store lacks any paid-for titles at all yet -- just 15,000 old classics.

Outdoors in sunlight the glossy screen is impossible to view. On all these counts, the light, well stocked, more readable Amazon Kindle has the edge.

Apple iPad, €500 to €800 www.apple.com/ie/ipad

- Ronan Price

Irish Independent

Wrong on the i-pad for books - I've bought several cussler books that i've not been able to find in bookshops....

Wrong on the i-pad for books - I've bought several cussler books that i've not been able to find in bookshops....

Maybe that applies only here, in Ireland :unsure: Perhaps a Copyright issue.

There are now many You Tube videos which I cannot post, because there are the letters "Il" at the start of the url :blink:

Maybe that applies only here, in Ireland :unsure: Perhaps a Copyright issue.

There are now many You Tube videos which I cannot post, because there are the letters "Il" at the start of the url :blink:

Go to app store find iBooks and download it and bobs your uncle!!! Simples...

Full internet access and entertainment, music is downloadable when on the go and readily available in the car whenever you need it, to list just a few...

Full internet access and entertainment, music is downloadable when on the go and readily available in the car whenever you need it, to list just a few...

But it that position it's illegal unless parked.

People still use a stereo system when driving, so why not use the iPod functions?

Can you post while driving ?

Sorry I forgot you can't helpsmilie.gif

I never said that you would access the internet when driving, only music. ;) But with regards to entertainment forms such as videos and internet usage you are correct in saying it is illegal to do so when driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links