Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Don't Blame Me!

Bizarra

French view of Britain 'cloth caps'

Having seen Raist's photo in Le Monde :eek:

Thursday August 05 2010

A pensioner on a mobility scooter, a cloth cap and a cup of tea are some of the things the French most associate with "Britishness", according to a new survey.

The poll, in conjunction with an ad campaign for Renault Megane cars, found almost a third (30%) of French people questioned thought Britishness was associated with an image of an elderly man on a mobility scooter while nearly a quarter (23%) chose an athletic Tour de France cyclist as one of the pictures representing themselves.

More than half (53%) of the continentals surveyed associated the UK with a flat cap and over three-quarters (79%) with a cup of tea. In contrast, when asked to choose from the 20 images which pictures reflected their culture, 90% of the French selected a platter of cheese and 63% a glass of champagne.

When the Britons questioned were asked to pick three "French" images, 71% chose the Camembert cheese, 57% selected champagne and 31% picked the Tour de France racer.

Broadcaster Gyles Brandreth said he was not surprised by the views of the French respondents. He added: "The English are much more gracious to their neighbours. The problem with the French is they have never been able to come to terms with the complete disaster which was the catastrophic defeat at Crecy, Trafalgar and Waterloo. It's as if the referee hasn't blown the final whistle."

The poll by YouGov surveyed 4,048 French and 2,169 Britons about their opinions of one another.

Villagers from Gisburn, Lancashire, were left fuming last week after their hamlet was mocked in the Renault advertising campaign.

In the advert, images from Gisburn were contrasted with those from Menton on France's Cote d'Azur, with a swimming pool compared with a puddle, designer heels with slippers and a glamorous couple sipping wine in a restaurant with a frumpy couple sitting on a bench.

Press Association

Well the French wouldn't use soap...

How would you know? :unsure::rolleyes: One whiff of you & they'd run :lol:

Any of the French Ladies I've known were fragrant & totally hygienic :thumbsup: Fit to eat, in fact :eek::drool:

One has standards... and therefore would ignore the french women mad.gif

One has standards... and therefore would ignore the french women mad.gif

There is the difference, you see :rolleyes: Where the Ladies are concerned, I'm broadminded, tolerant & willing to give any nationality their chance & trial :yahoo:

I think you mean any Port In A Storm thumbsup.gif, I also would give the French a trial, then hang them hang.gif

I think you mean any Port In A Storm thumbsup.gif, I also would give the French a trial, then hang them hang.gif

Oh Dear :rolleyes: It become a burden, teaching the ignorant Religion, Philosophy & other big words which are hard to spell :help: Still, one must persevere & hope that some seeds fall on fertile ground :yes: :D

-- Leviticus 19: 17-18 (KJV)

You may think that Jesus invented the phrase "Love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matthew 5: 43, etc.), but like the rest of us He actually quotes the Hebrew Bible.

So to say that Jesus replaced the harsh and rigorous Torah of Judaism with a new covenant of Love is to oversimplify -- and to insult Hebrew culture. True, Yahweh demands "eye for eye, tooth for tooth," but He also insists that His people respect and forgive their neighbors.

Oh Dear rolleyes.gif It become a burden, teaching the ignorant Religion, Philosophy & other big words which are hard to spell helpsmilie.gif Still, one must persevere & hope that some seeds fall on fertile ground yes.gifbiggrin.gif

You may think that Jesus invented the phrase "Love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matthew 5: 43, etc.), but like the rest of us He actually quotes the Hebrew Bible.

So to say that Jesus replaced the harsh and rigorous Torah of Judaism with a new covenant of Love is to oversimplify -- and to insult Hebrew culture. True, Yahweh demands "eye for eye, tooth for tooth," but He also insists that His people respect and forgive their neighbors.

Whoops - Neighbour

Kynan Rules....

Oh Dear rolleyes.gif It become a burden, teaching the ignorant Religion, Philosophy & other big words which are hard to spell helpsmilie.gif Still, one must persevere & hope that some seeds fall on fertile ground yes.gifbiggrin.gif

Whoops - Neighbour

Kynan Rules....

Can't think of a better excuse than the one frequently used by your good [?] self :lol:

"Don't blame me ! I didn't write it :o I only copy & paste" <_< :boxing::laughing:

Seems your pasted as a newt... :D

Too early :crybaby: Unless the remnants from last night :rolleyes:

Oh, that's why your whining shutup.gif

There is no Sun visible today :crybaby: so I can't tell if it is past the Main Brace, yet :pepsi: :( :laughing:

We in the civilised country have devices that tell us the time thumbsup.gif

We in the civilised country have devices that tell us the time thumbsup.gif

Sorry to bother you, Guvnor! [tugs forelock :blush: ] but have you got the time? :yucky:

" NO ! Go away, you foul churl { kicks viciously) I'm not that way inclined" :lol2:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links