Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oxfordshire Speeding Increase After Cameras Turned Off

Raistlin

_48684206_000205739-1.jpg

The number of drivers speeding past Oxfordshire's deactivated speed cameras has increased by up to 88%, a road safety partnership claim.

Thames Valley's Safer Road Partnership monitored drivers on two roads in the county for five days.

The cameras were axed at the end of July after the county council withdrew £600,000 in funding due to budget cuts.

Road safety charity Brake called the results "extremely concerning" and urged the council to change its policy.

The tests were carried out in Watlington Road, Cowley, and the A44 in Woodstock from Thursday till Monday.

In Cowley, 62 people were clocked speeding, representing a rise of 88%, the partnership revealed.

In Woodstock 110 drivers were over the 30mph limit, which is 18% more than the average for 2010.

Those caught speeding during the trial will not receive fines or points.

Insp Paul Winks, from Thames Valley Police, said: "It's obviously disappointing.

"It clearly means switching off the camera has given a green light to a small number of people to break the law.

"The consequence is more death and more death is unacceptable."

Ellen Booth, campaign officer for Brake, said road deaths cost the taxpayer about £1.7m a year.

She added: "This is people's lives we are talking about.

"Ending speed cameras in certain areas and ending funding for safer road partnerships is taking a huge step backwards.

"What we would like to see is councils looking at the issue of speed cameras, not only at how effective they are in reducing death and serious injuries, but also how cost effective they are."

Ellen Booth, campaign officer for Brake, said road deaths cost the taxpayer about £1.7m a year.

She added: "This is people's lives we are talking about.

Maybe people would take BRAKE more seriously if they employed spokespeople with a basic concept of grammar !

Ok then, papers reported a senior police officer as saying that middle class drivers that break the law by breaking speed limits are hypocritical and no better than yobs with asbo's.

Blowing my own trumpet, In over 40 years of motoring I have never been stopped for speeding and neither have I been flashed at by a camera (dirty old men maybe, but not a camera!)

My question is this, should speeding motorists be classed in the same mould as youngsters committing anti social behavior??

My thoughts are that yes they should be, speeding can cause death and serious injury, loud kids in a park don't often!!

....In over 40 years of motoring I have never been stopped for speeding and neither have I been flashed at by a camera....

I like your choice of words.... I note that you do not say that you have never broken the speed limit yes.gif

We ALL break the speed limit from time to time and anyone that says that they do not is a liar huh.gif

Back to the point of the thread.... the turning off of the cameras was obviously going to lead to an increase in the number of people exceeding the speed limits smile.gif

....In over 40 years of motoring I have never been stopped for speeding and neither have I been flashed at by a camera....

I like your choice of words.... I note that you do not say that you have never broken the speed limit yes.gif

We ALL break the speed limit from time to time and anyone that says that they do not is a liar huh.gif

Back to the point of the thread.... the turning off of the cameras was obviously going to lead to an increase in the number of people exceeding the speed limits smile.gif

Yes I do inadvertently go over the 30 occasionally, that's partly Mr T's fault for making his cars so quiet! but I NEVER exceed those above it. Isn't that what cruise control is for? It's quite interesting to cruise at 70 only to catch up with the 'speeders' at the next roundabout, or traffic lights.

A little example, I regularly travel from home to the isle of wight via Portsmouth, and very often I am overtaken by someone on the A3 who I then see at the ferry terminal in Portsmouth, so what have they gained, except perhaps a speeding fine, or a few more grey hairs looking for cameras.... No thanks, I'd rather stick within the law, save my money and get there in one piece.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links