Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gti Reving?

sum1 superior

Hi people.. Ive searched the site for info but couldnt find the info im looking for... so please could someone point me in the right direction... oh and sorry for posting this here, not sure where to post it!

Right! My problem is...... I have a Corolla gti (89) which after a minute or 2 of idling at 2000rpm suddenly rises upto 2,500rpm them revs to 3,500rpm and keeps dropping back to 2,500! Over and over again, as if someone is stamping on the accelerator repeatedly! Some poeple have said its an ECU problem and others say its a air/fuel ratio mixture not quite right! Anyone could shed some light on this that would be top stuff!

Thanks people

post-66432-128165259485_thumb.jpg

my gti used to idel around 2k when cold, is this when it does it ? or even when the temp is up? you could try the idel adust screw..

Sorry, Kynan :crybaby: ..............Not :lol: I couldn't resist "borrowing" this little exchange from Raist's page :lol: No offence intended............Maybe! :rolleyes:

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

View PostBizarra, on 09 August 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostRaistlin, on 09 August 2010 - 03:18 PM, said:

Nothing says "I'm a virgin" like posting your own exhaust sounds montage on Youtube.

Kynan ? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

That's harsh... Yes Posted Image

Posted Image Nex, Est Tantum Exordium... מוות רק ההתחלה... Смерть - только начало... 死だけ

He is just jealous because his hair dryer can't make any decent noise. :thumbsup:

Hardly a montage either, but the reason I did post it up was because I wanted to be able to post it here easily with out a link, and also to help people in this very situation. ;)

I like to help, that's what I am doing.

Maybe Raist should be a bit more careful about which nerves he chooses to press...

my gti used to idel around 2k when cold, is this when it does it ? or even when the temp is up? you could try the idel adust screw..

No, it does it all the time... even when your driving it!

I does sound like the 1st vid yeah! Ive JUST had the radiator replaced too! But it started doing this before that had a leak! I guess its onto E-!Removed! and find a water pump! Great! Starting to think about just scrapping the !Removed! thing now!! Forked out £500 on getting rust sorted on the underside!!

nah nah nah ignore the video title mate that's my rust buckets problems. :lol:

You need to run the engine until it comes off choke with the heaters on full, and squeeze the hoses as it runs to clear any air lock.

Check the hose for air locks and most of all check to see if your intake system id hooked up properly like this:

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

That's the MAP sensor and it needs to be correctly hooked up to stop it hunting. Don't mess with the idle screw just yet mate. ;)

Im gonna have to take a pic tomorrow of my engine bay as the only thing that looks roughly the same is where the Throttle body is and part of the air tunnel going to the filter thats about it. The MAP sensor has been off for about 3 years now with no problems. I will try the heaters/squeezing the tubes thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick replys people, hope this works! I'll keep you posted.

ok then, odd that you can remove the MAP sensor without the motor going totally skitz...

The rest of the tubes are hooked up correctly yes?

Is your engine the TVIS engine or the non-TVIS engine?

Try the hoses and heater, once you get hot air then you know you're ok with the matrix. Every two minutes switch off the engine and slowly remove the rad cap. Water will bubble out and put it back on. Repeat this until it's all sorted. :thumbsup:

Nice TOC Server FAIL X3

[/quote

Yeah everything else is connected up... i have the non tvis engine.

Thanks for the great advice as this wont cost me a penny if it works! I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens!

Ok NP, the non-TVIS versions have a MAF sensor though but it is connected up in pretty well the same way except it goes to the Airbox.

It worked for me but it does take a while to get it to work. You will have air locks in the temperature sender gauge unit (by the water pump and alternator) and also in the CSI switch and fan temp sensor. All of the hoses must be hot and pressurised to show that it's flowing properly. ;)

No problem, it' why I am here. :D

Ok NP, the non-TVIS versions have a MAF sensor though but it is connected up in pretty well the same way except it goes to the Airbox.

It worked for me but it does take a while to get it to work. You will have air locks in the temperature sender gauge unit (by the water pump and alternator) and also in the CSI switch and fan temp sensor. All of the hoses must be hot and pressurised to show that it's flowing properly. ;)

No problem, it' why I am here. :D

Well, ive tried the way above and no joy. Ive had afew messages saying the idle screws should sort it out out however.. after the choke cuts out, it drops to 1000rpm and still keeps bouncing up to 2000rmp so its def not the idle screws.

The pipes are still cold and the heaters dont give out warm air! Any more ideas or should i just keep trying the squeezing hoses and topping up radiator method?? Ive been doing it for about an hour or so and im getting VERY ****** off! Thanks :-)

Sorry, ive realised ive quoted the wrong bit! <--- ******!! I think you people know what bit ive tried so far.. next.... %$(in hammer time!!!!!!!!

Well... after along time squeezing, tightening, filling up the radiator ive FINALLY sorted the bizarre idle reving issue out! HOWEVER... now there's another leak coming from somewhere but its not the radiator or connecting hoses!! And it is water! Water pump maybe???

Good, was about to say it will be a blocked Matrix like I have.

Where EXACTLY does it leak from?

If it is leaking near the timing end then unfortunately the chances are it is your water pump mate. Same thing happened to mine just a couple weeks back. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well... FINALLY got it all sorted! BIG thanks to everyone who help with advice! Seems it was an airlock afterall! New radiator and samco hoses seems to have done the job!

Sorry for late reply as ive been on holiday!

Completely off topic but..... can anyone forward me to a link that discusses what different engines will go into a corolla gti?? Looking at doing an engine swap... and not an MR2 4agze lump.

Thanks again people!

No problem mate, I'm glad you got it sorted. Got my idling sorted yesterday aswell! :yahoo:

Start a new topic in the Corolla Club "AE92 GTi Engine Swaps, what engines?" Or something along those lines and I'll help you out there. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links