Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae92 Power Steering Fluid

System~G

I needs some advice guys.

I recently noticed my power steering fluid levels are a little too low for comfort (below the minimum mark). I obviously need to top this up.

1] Is the fluid standard brake/clutch fluid? Or is it a special type with certain viscousicity?

2] Do I need to completely drain the system before refilling?

3] Is there some kind of filter that will need doing as well?

I appologise if this all sounds really silly, but I have never had to do this before... :unsure:

Cheers :thumbsup:

auto transmission fluid mate just top it up you can change it all if you want to just remove the return pipe from the rack ( the one that goes from the steering rack to the resovoir) then refil the resovoir with fresh fluid then start the engine and keep turning the wheel from lock to lock to bleed the system, topping up as nesesary. i'd only change it all if it looks especialy dirty though. there are no filters to change :lol: .i'd check for leaks as well pumps a prone to leaks but dont worry unless it gets really bad

Hi,

Your PAS uses ATF Dexron 2 - and top it up while the engine is running.

There is no filter on the system,so you have to make sure there is no dirt ingress while you are topping it up.

If your 'rolla has done more than about 60,000 miles,then it is good practice to change it ( same fluid as used in Automatic Transmissions).

You need to remove the return pipe to the reservoir and put it in a container to catch the old fluid.

Start the engine for a few seconds at a time to pump the majority of the old fluid out.

Do not run the engine with the system completly dry as you may damage the Spool seals on the rack.

Refit the return pipe to the reservoir and top up the fluid to the min. mark.

Start the engine and keep on topping up to the min.mark and turn the steering lock to lock to bleed any air out.

Finally - top up to the Max. mark when engine is hot.

:thumbsup:

Yesterday whilst reversing into a parking spot (on my way to get some fluid) I kept loosing powersteering all together. I then notice thick streams of the fluid on the ground. It was like someone had squirted the fluid from a bottle onto the floor in the path I had just driven :o :eek:

I filled the resevoir as directed by you guys (Thanks :thumbsup: ) and had Nicola turn the steering from lock to lock. I found the leak was coming from the underside of a cylinder-type-thingy just behind the driver's side headlight unit (in the engine bay).

I am hoping it's a split tube or something simple (cheap) to fix by myself and not replace rack or hydrolic (sp?) cylinder sort of thing that can cost a bomb :arrgg-matey:

Any ideas? I can upload a photo of the leaky part if needed.

sounds like a split pipe from the rack to the resovoir its low pressure so just replce or trim the pipe if nesessary

I had a good poke about yesterday and it didn't seem like any of the pipes were split or come off.

Parrallel parking this morning at work, it dumped a whole lot of fluid on the road...

The bloke who sold me the car a month ago said it might be the seals on the pump??? As these have a tendancy of going??? Anyone for anyone?

trace the pipes back to the pump and have a look around. if its the pump seal its normaly the one nearest the pulley. also check all the metal pipes for corosion.worth checking that the resovoir hasn't cracked too

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links