Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aquaplaning / Skidding In Water

kristina.yianni

Hi!

I'm new so this is my very first post! Just wondering if anyone else has the problem with their IQ that it seems to just skid across water on the road!! It doesn't even need to be a big puddle but hit it at a relatively fast speed (70mph) and it seems to lose all grip and skid! Not good in the rain!! My IQ is only 11 months old and has only done 7000 miles so surely it can't be the tyres!

Is anyone else having this problem and any suggestions about what I can do!

Thanks!!

Sorry to be a killjoy, but slowing down may be an idea??

Hitting a patch of standing water in any car at speed is not a good idea, and possibly small cars handle don't handle it as well as large ones....

And so you are still alive aftering hit into pond of water on the road at 70mph and your car was skading? You should be proud of our small IQ lol!

If you love to skad on water then the best solution for you will be to ride a boat. A car is meant to be driven on the road.

I had to drive my IQ3 under a lot of water one year ago and found it was quite good at 110 km/h (approx 70 mph).

i even had to brake strongly to stop and call rescue for a car that had an accident and it stopped easily, with no problem...

Hi!

I'm new so this is my very first post! Just wondering if anyone else has the problem with their IQ that it seems to just skid across water on the road!! It doesn't even need to be a big puddle but hit it at a relatively fast speed (70mph) and it seems to lose all grip and skid! Not good in the rain!! My IQ is only 11 months old and has only done 7000 miles so surely it can't be the tyres!

Is anyone else having this problem and any suggestions about what I can do!

Thanks!!

Hi,I found the stock Bridgestone tyres were a bit skitty in the wet,plus made a lot of noise in the rear wheel arch(water spray).

I decided to change brands and went for these,see pic below:-

post-63295-128610784517_thumb.jpg

VERDESTIEN QUATRAC 3 175/65r15 84T

much quieter in the rear arch & stick to the road like sh#t to a blanket ;) :toast: .

• 4 months later...

Sorry to be a killjoy, but slowing down may be an idea??

Hitting a patch of standing water in any car at speed is not a good idea, and possibly small cars handle don't handle it as well as large ones....

Totally agree. I also have a Toyota Hilux Double cab pickup. I would never go above 40 to 50 MPH on a motorway in heavy rain, and that weighs about 2 ton. 70 MPH in an iQ in heavy rain is asking for trouble. Just slow down and use common sense.

Hi all,

Some of you talked of slowing down here... That for sure is the obvious choice AFTER you got scared with the water. But first you have to see it/feel it. The thing is, sometimes you don't! So that's not what you should be talking here. What we are talking about here is: when you're driving in these conditions, then...

Once or twice now, I had the feeling too, that the original tires aren't that good in humid/wet roads. I think, sometimes, to keep high mileage figures, brands tend to ignore the safety issues under certain circumstances (Euroncap doesn't do rain tests, does it?!?) and go for the "green tires". The fact is these called green tires have a better fuel efficiency at the cost of less grip...

If you usually drive in these conditions, I'd advice you to replace your tires promptly. Haven't tried other then the original tires in my IQ, but in my Land Rover I had a similar problem and tried the vredstein mentioned earlier... What a difference that made! The tires do less mileage, but the grip is fantastic and they actually make the car much more confortable...

Hope this helps.

Carlos.

Hi all,

Some of you talked of slowing down here... That for sure is the obvious choice AFTER you got scared with the water. But first you have to see it/feel it. The thing is, sometimes you don't! So that's not what you should be talking here. What we are talking about here is: when you're driving in these conditions, then...

Once or twice now, I had the feeling too, that the original tires aren't that good in humid/wet roads. I think, sometimes, to keep high mileage figures, brands tend to ignore the safety issues under certain circumstances (Euroncap doesn't do rain tests, does it?!?) and go for the "green tires". The fact is these called green tires have a better fuel efficiency at the cost of less grip...

If you usually drive in these conditions, I'd advice you to replace your tires promptly. Haven't tried other then the original tires in my IQ, but in my Land Rover I had a similar problem and tried the vredstein mentioned earlier... What a difference that made! The tires do less mileage, but the grip is fantastic and they actually make the car much more confortable...

Hope this helps.

Carlos.

I think aqua planing is one of those things you want to avoid at all cost. I had my first experience of aqua planing in the first car (Ford Cortina MK2) I ever owned. It was not long after passing my driving test and I can tell you, it's something you want to try for fun and see how it is, especially on a motorway at 70 miles per hour or more. I've had my fast cars in my time, with some that could do over 140 MPH. But for me, as soon as there is heavy rain, I slow down and move to the inside lane if on a motorway. I know the iQ has 9 airbags, but I would rather not put them to the test. As for changing tyres. I would only replace them when they are worn out, than spend an unnecessary amount on new tyres. JUST MY OPION, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.

I also know the same the problem,

I threw away the Bridgestone for install four winter tires,

I ride in perfect security from on German motorway ...

Hi Doubleti,

What tyres are you using now?

Marcandsebe,

My worse aquaplaning experience happened with my old bike (which would go at 200MPH) in a motorway, in a calm evening, driving at a "safe" 100MPH, not raining, going for a smooth, easy turn to the left, that started at the most left possible and ended at the most right end of the road... Fortunately I had the all road for myself and had the nerves to stay away from the brakes and keep as straight as possible... Plus I was really lucky!!!

By the way, if I had a bottle of milk in my bag pack then, It would for sure have become a milkshake!

My bikes experiences teached me that things don't happen only when you expect them to, so you better be prepared all the time for what you don't expect... including aquaplaning when it's not even raining! "The better prepared you are, more chances you have to succeed".

By the way, most accidents don't happen by speeding, but mainly for distractions or poor road/vehicle conditions. Speed can make it worse, but can also sharpen your senses...

But this is just my two cents.

I run Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres all all year round now, I hear they are about the best tyre to have in the wet and since the UK is wet 60-70% of the time, why not?

Sweeeeet! I have no experience at all of driving with snow (it never snows where I live in Portugal), but I guess it should be more or less like walking over butter, hehehe.

Those tyres seem to have a nice grip in the wet too.

By the way, did you install the daylights yourself? anyone knows how the daylights will be in the 2011 Iq? I have fog lights in mine, so can't install ones as those you did...

I run Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres all all year round now, I hear they are about the best tyre to have in the wet and since the UK is wet 60-70% of the time, why not?

Checked today and mine comes with a set of Yokohama S70D 175/65R15 84S... I bought it 2nd hand in Spain, but bought it at a Toyota dealer. It was a service car and only had 12000kms, so I guess they're the original set... Maybe it depends on the country (?!?)

post-105518-0-71936500-1298864442_thumb.

By the way, did you install the daylights yourself? anyone knows how the daylights will be in the 2011 Iq?

yes very easy, it"s a kit Philips Day light 8

Autocar report on tyres every two years or so - If my ageing memory serves then the last one was summer / autumn 2010. If you really want to see what the best tyres are in the wet & dry on front or rear drive cars then I strongly recommend you get a copy. If you have the best / better ones you will be smug - that is you think on and realise the person behind or coming towards you might be on the worst!! The differences are quite frightening.

Autocar report on tyres every two years or so - If my ageing memory serves then the last one was summer / autumn 2010. If you really want to see what the best tyres are in the wet & dry on front or rear drive cars then I strongly recommend you get a copy. If you have the best / better ones you will be smug - that is you think on and realise the person behind or coming towards you might be on the worst!! The differences are quite frightening.

Does anyone have access to these reports to help with a conclusion? It would definitely help my next choice of tyres for my cars... ;-)

Does anyone have access to these reports to help with a conclusion? It would definitely help my next choice of tyres for my cars... ;-)

Got rid of my copy of the magazine but have found out the reports is in 18 August 2010 edition or look at this http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Autocar-Tyre-Test-FWD.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I recently replaced my front tyres with Khumo rubber. :rolleyes:

Totally eliminated the aquaplaning problems....The Bridgestones are !Removed! dangerous, Mine would slide all over if I hit a puddle even at 40ish MPH.

Just bought some Hankook K415 and they sucks on wet road, but they are better on dry road than bridgestones B250. On wet they suck mean the ABS goes on easily and double the distance you need to stop the car...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links