Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Wont Start Now...

thedubman

I Have a J reg (1992?) G-Limited NA 2.0 twin cam 16 v Hardtop MR2.. with about 100k miles on the clock..

Last night I loaned the car to someone- He did a long journey in it (about 300Miles)ran perfectally and this morning he started and it ran fine... then later on I got a call saying it died and wont start..

before I loaned him the car I filled up with super unleaded and gave a shot of reddex (never done that before)..now The Cars starter motor will turn over fine, it will start and revs goto about 1k then it will die (runs for couple secs),.. it does that every time.. I left the car for around an hour and it started fine (first key turn) and it ran fine for about 2-3 mins then died again.. this works if you leave it for a while..(I repeated about hour later)

I have checked the obvious (fuel in the tank etc theres no warning lights on dash etc) as well the fuel relay fuse (15AMP) and checked briefly over the fuel lines/breather pipes/wiring etc. When I put ignition on I can here the fuel pump working

I having been searching through MR2 problems and consider that its either the ignition coil and/or distributer cap/arm/leads.. Or something to do with the ECM/O2/fuel flow/idle..

Or it may be the cambelt(s) have gone.. or its fuel filter/pump... when its daylight I need to check if I can get a spark etc..

I shall attempt to jumper the Diagnotics unit (E1 to TE1) to see if I can get an error code

My question is am I on the right track and/or has anyone else experienced the same problem?? Any help would be very appriciated..

Update: checked all hoses,cables and fuses, took off distrubter cap- rotar arm looks fine the 'points' do seem very worn cleaned up no change. Got a recovery vechile on the way- they suspect fuel pump/relay etc.

I Have a J reg (1992?) G-Limited NA 2.0 twin cam 16 v Hardtop MR2.. with about 100k miles on the clock..

Last night I loaned the car to someone- He did a long journey in it (about 300Miles)ran perfectally and this morning he started and it ran fine... then later on I got a call saying it died and wont start..

before I loaned him the car I filled up with super unleaded and gave a shot of reddex (never done that before)..now The Cars starter motor will turn over fine, it will start and revs goto about 1k then it will die (runs for couple secs),.. it does that every time.. I left the car for around an hour and it started fine (first key turn) and it ran fine for about 2-3 mins then died again.. this works if you leave it for a while..(I repeated about hour later)

I have checked the obvious (fuel in the tank etc theres no warning lights on dash etc) as well the fuel relay fuse (15AMP) and checked briefly over the fuel lines/breather pipes/wiring etc. When I put ignition on I can here the fuel pump working

I having been searching through MR2 problems and consider that its either the ignition coil and/or distributer cap/arm/leads.. Or something to do with the ECM/O2/fuel flow/idle..

Or it may be the cambelt(s) have gone.. or its fuel filter/pump... when its daylight I need to check if I can get a spark etc..

I shall attempt to jumper the Diagnotics unit (E1 to TE1) to see if I can get an error code

My question is am I on the right track and/or has anyone else experienced the same problem?? Any help would be very appriciated..

Update: checked all hoses,cables and fuses, took off distrubter cap- rotar arm looks fine the 'points' do seem very worn cleaned up no change. Got a recovery vechile on the way- they suspect fuel pump/relay etc.

As a further update, I got My car inspected by RAC recovey, the chap spent over 2.5 hours testing every system he could- he and RAC tech team concluded that the car was - losing, the Negative pulse to fuel injectors, suspect ECU faulty

With My jumpered diagnostic test I got code 12 and 14- which i think is (12) distrubuter, dizzy circuit, ecu- and (14) ignitor,ignitor circuit, ECU.

Shes parked up in My drive, I get her running soon..

• 4 months later...

have you checked the spark plugs for a spark ? maybe its the coil pack heating up and malfunctioning or major leakage through the leads, wat do the spark plugs look like ? coked up?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links