Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipad, Gps?

BarryIQ

Sorry for being abit off topic.

Just wondering if any IQ owner here use IPad like a GPS in their car and how is it compare to the traditional GPS?

I've asked around, some said the IPad does not have a GPS receiver and only rely on 3G connection to run the GPS and hence not a viable option for in-car GPS.

Somehow in Tomtom GPS website, they have designed an app for iphone/ipad, in the description it reads "No mobile signal or data plan is required to browse your map and navigate to your destination."

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mobile-navigation/tomtom-iphone-ipod-touch/#tab:highlights

I am really confused...

I've loaded navfree uk/Ireland on my iPad, but not tried it as a satnav, I have no idea whether it would work or not or even how it could, but I will try it today as I'm taking the wife's aygo out.... I'll let you know what happens...

Barry

I suspect you friend is correct. I bought the ipad without the 3g (wifi only) and he may well be right. The ipad obviously needs a connection somehow to a gps signal, whether via blootooth to a phone or 3g from itself.

I tried mine today and it didn't move at all which didn't really surprise me.

Looks like you will have to by a tomtom or similar if you want satnav in your iq...

:crybaby:

Barry

I suspect you friend is correct. I bought the ipad without the 3g (wifi only) and he may well be right. The ipad obviously needs a connection somehow to a gps signal, whether via blootooth to a phone or 3g from itself.

I tried mine today and it didn't move at all which didn't really surprise me.

Looks like you will have to by a tomtom or similar if you want satnav in your iq...

:crybaby:

From my research, it looks like there are two type of GPS out there.

First one is direct Satellite GPS and it required something called a GPS reciver, it is possible to add onto a device as an addon vai bluetooth or USB however I am not sure if there is one for IPad yet.

Second one is the one that come with IPad and its called AGPS (Assisted GPS) and it track your location via 3G network. Seems like this type of GPS is more accurate in tracking location BUT the GPS will not function outside 3G network coverage area. Also it exchange data consistently with the 3G network which cost $$$. Not sure about Europe but mobile 3G internet here is very very expensive :(

depending on the package that one has from a mobile network in the Uk, 3g can be horrendously expensive here too~!

Good luck in your quest

:yahoo:

Got a reply from TomTom, think I will just post it here to share the knowledge.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

I have chased this up for you with internal staff and user experiences on many forums and it seems very unstable as of right now, the iPad does actually have a internal GPS receiver but when you launch the app it says it will not work but when you agree to that it will work fine right after that, whether or not it uses 3G I cannot confirm right now, TomTom is working for an app for the iPad and it is yet to be released so for the moment I would hang tight for a bit and wait for that update.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

----------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

The iPad with 3G has built-in GPS so it can be used with navigation app. Model with wi-fi only does not have GPS at all, it can only determine location based on wi-fi network. So if you have 3G model it works on a car with some navigation app, even without 3G connection. It has also assisted GPS which means it will fix the postion more quickly by using the 3G network. But GPS works wihtout 3G connection also, it is only slower to find where you are, just like normal GPS devices.

I am using iPhone with Navigon app on my Aygo, works great! Don't know if there are any ways to attach iPad to IQ's dashboard though, it is quite big device compared to normal GPS...

The iPad with 3G has built-in GPS so it can be used with navigation app. Model with wi-fi only does not have GPS at all, it can only determine location based on wi-fi network. So if you have 3G model it works on a car with some navigation app, even without 3G connection. It has also assisted GPS which means it will fix the postion more quickly by using the 3G network. But GPS works wihtout 3G connection also, it is only slower to find where you are, just like normal GPS devices.

I am using iPhone with Navigon app on my Aygo, works great! Don't know if there are any ways to attach iPad to IQ's dashboard though, it is quite big device compared to normal GPS...

Someone has stick the IPad on the CD player and posted some pics in some old topic here :P

Its a nice spot but it blocks some visual off the driver, pretty sure the police won't be happy about it.

I have found some IPad holder which attach to the bottom side of the passenger's seat. Will probably go for that one :)

• 4 weeks later...

yip i use my IPad In my IQ .

How are you able to view it whilst you are driving.... where do you place it in your car so that you can safely view the screen :unsure:

Please be aware that if you are seen by a Police Officer moving your eyes constanly away from the direction of your travel you may be stopped for driving with undue care and attention :(

• 4 weeks later...

yip i use my IPad In my IQ .

How are you able to view it whilst you are driving.... where do you place it in your car so that you can safely view the screen :unsure:

Please be aware that if you are seen by a Police Officer moving your eyes constanly away from the direction of your travel you may be stopped for driving with undue care and attention :(

i have an IPad holder for it ! that attaches to the screen just like a TOM TOM does ! its Fabby !

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if any IQ owner here use IPad like a GPS in their car and how is it compare to the traditional GPS?

I've asked around, some said the IPad does not have a GPS receiver and only rely on 3G connection to run the GPS and hence not a viable option for in-car GPS.

Somehow in Tomtom GPS website, they have designed an app for iphone/ipad, in the description it reads "No mobile signal or data plan is required to browse your map and navigate to your destination."

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mobile-navigation/tomtom-iphone-ipod-touch/#tab:highlights

I am really confused...

I think the iPad 3G uses standard and cellular for GPS positioning. I have an iPhone 4 with the Europe Tom Tom app installed. I also have the Tom Tom cradle that has it's own built in GPS receiver. It works very well and is not too big. As the iPad is quite large, I'm not sure where you would place it in an iQ. I think Brodit do mounts for the iPad.

• 2 months later...

ipad 2 cases

ipad2 leather case

iPad2 case

I am really confused...

I think the iPad 3G uses standard and cellular for GPS positioning. I have an iPhone 4 with the Europe Tom Tom app installed. I also have the Tom Tom cradle that has it's own built in GPS receiver. It works very well and is not too big. As the iPad is quite large, I'm not sure where you would place it in an iQ. I think Brodit do mounts for the iPad.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links