Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Termination Of Extended Warranty

kilnfield

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with a Toyota extended warranty who could advise me.

I have (had) a Yaris, bought new February 2007. As it approached the end of its 3-year warranty I received mail from Toyota inviting me to take out an extended warranty, which I did. The cost was £472.50 for 2 years, payable in 10 monthly payments. Seven months into the warranty period the car was stolen and has never been recovered. By the time the car was "writen off" I had paid 9 of the instalments and I cancelled the d/d for the tenth.

I forwarded proof of total loss to Toyota and requested a refund for the 17 months unused warranty period. After 3 weeks delay Toyota sent me a cheque for £47.25, the equivalent of one instalment. When I queried this I was told this represented the payment I made after the car was stolen but before it was declared a total loss. This was confirmed for the operator by his supervisor

Silly me, expected a pro rata refund since no claims had been made under the policy. After six years happy Toyota driving this has left a sour taste. Anybody else got experience of ending a warranty due to write-off?

Kilnfield

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with a Toyota extended warranty who could advise me.

I have (had) a Yaris, bought new February 2007. As it approached the end of its 3-year warranty I received mail from Toyota inviting me to take out an extended warranty, which I did. The cost was £472.50 for 2 years, payable in 10 monthly payments. Seven months into the warranty period the car was stolen and has never been recovered. By the time the car was "writen off" I had paid 9 of the instalments and I cancelled the d/d for the tenth.

I forwarded proof of total loss to Toyota and requested a refund for the 17 months unused warranty period. After 3 weeks delay Toyota sent me a cheque for £47.25, the equivalent of one instalment. When I queried this I was told this represented the payment I made after the car was stolen but before it was declared a total loss. This was confirmed for the operator by his supervisor

Silly me, expected a pro rata refund since no claims had been made under the policy. After six years happy Toyota driving this has left a sour taste. Anybody else got experience of ending a warranty due to write-off?

Kilnfield

Could try claiming the insurance but probably not much better luck there. We had 2 Transits stolen a year ago. 4 year old and all done up with signage. We got the value of the vans back, but they wouldn't pay for the signage...which had cost us £600.

Kilnfield

Could try claiming the insurance but probably not much better luck there. We had 2 Transits stolen a year ago. 4 year old and all done up with signage. We got the value of the vans back, but they wouldn't pay for the signage...which had cost us £600.

Your lucky you got that back, they were quite within there right so demand you pay the rest of the installment for the warranty as you signed a legal binding contract with them to pay the FULL amount for the warranty, i call that a good deal myself...

I'm inclined to agree with Cerberus there. The warranty covered things like parts, servicing etc. I presume but nothing related to if the car was actually stolen? You car insurance provider handles that sort of thing so take it up with them and see what they'll do for you?

The £472.50 was the charge for the warranty, the fact they gave you 10 months to pay is a marketing tool for you to help you spread the costs. You dont buy a part of the warranty with every months fee, you sign up to pay the full amount and spread it over the ten month period so I think it is fair TBH

Kingo :thumbsup:

If the engine blew up just after your first payment would that mean the dealer would only have to cover a tenth of the cost? ;)

If the engine blew up just after your first payment would that mean the dealer would only have to cover a tenth of the cost? ;)

That's a good point, but as Toyota supply the extended warranty the dealer is not liable for anything, Toyota are

I don't have a T & C's to hand but there will be small print to cover that eventuality ;)

Extended warranty is in fact an insurance policy much the same as your car insurance and basically the same rules apply apart from the fact you don't earn any no-claims bonus.:)

Thanks for all the opinions, looks like I'm in a minority of one. Sorry no-one else seems to have had experience of similar. BTW, one thing I omitted on my original rant, the T&Cs say that you may be entitled to a partial refund if your car is damaged to the extent that it is "written off" but no mention of similar total loss following theft. Thanks again.

You have had a partial refund of one months payments

If you go and buy a new TV, pay over 10 months, then when you get it home somebody steals it the next day, you would still be liable to pay for the goods, the fact you no longer have them is unfortunate, but thats the way it is. I think you are confusing the benefit of paying over ten months, you bought the goods (extended warranty) and were given the option to pay over time, you no longer have the goods (just like the TV) but you still have to pay for it

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think warranties are a waste of time. Like car insurance, if anything goes wrong they don't want to know! Happy to take money off you but will find any reason not to pay out!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links