Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tick Over Petrol Consumption Rate.

froggy02

I have a 1.3 Yaris auto and I am curious about the petrol consumption at 'tick over' were I unable to move for a long period due to inclement weather conditions.

Imagine; I am stuck on a country road due to snow drifting and may have to spend the night in my car with outside temperatures of, say, -5. Is there any kind of calculation I could make to determine how long my fuel will last on tick over, assuming I put the vehicle in neutral and set the in car temperature control to a modest level? I know there could be variables … but it's a rule of thumb guide I need in case of such an emergency.

What a calculation! The best advice is never to go out in these atrocious conditions without a FULL fuel tank, I'm sure the car would run for days on a full tank. Better still, stay at home with the car in the garage ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I always carry an emergency blanket, water, shovel, Mars bars, torch and phone on all poor weather journeys.

Better safe than sorry, but as Kingo says if in doubt don't go out....

Do you rely on that Blackbird phone in an emergency Raist? :lol:

I have a 1.3 Yaris auto and I am curious about the petrol consumption at 'tick over' were I unable to move for a long period due to inclement weather conditions.

Imagine; I am stuck on a country road due to snow drifting and may have to spend the night in my car with outside temperatures of, say, -5. Is there any kind of calculation I could make to determine how long my fuel will last on tick over, assuming I put the vehicle in neutral and set the in car temperature control to a modest level? I know there could be variables … but it's a rule of thumb guide I need in case of such an emergency.

On the Vauxhall's I've owned (sorry, hope the swear filter doesn't knock that one off!) they show fuel consumption in gallons per hour when stationary.

My Vectra CDTI used about 0.2 to 0.3 gallons per hour when idling. Our petrol Zafira shows 0.3 to 0.5 gallons per hour, depending on load and how warm the engine is.

So I'm guessing your Yaris could probably go around 4-6 hours idling on one gallon of fuel. Go out with a full tank and you should be fine.

Do you rely on that Blackbird phone in an emergency Raist? :lol:

Of course, since Orange and T3 joined forces the signal is great :thumbsup:

#Raistlin. Parts king and other respondents.

Thank you all, I don't have a Blackberry … had to choose between one luxury and another and picked the Toyota! Yes, of course people should be prepared but it's all to easy to get caught out. Raistlin's experience with his Vaux**** was helpful but I had hoped that someone from Toyota would have picked this up as it would be helpful to know if one could could feel confident of having heat in such circumstances.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the time you do get caught in such circumstances is when you have two bars showing on the dash … and possibly eight hours to wait for rescue!

Getting stuck is inconvenient, but -5 is not really that bad (unless you drive in shorts and flip flops and get stuck) so you will be fine if you pack the right gear.

I always carry a good pair of boots, a rucksack with thermal jacket, hat, gloves, water and food in. That might be my military side coming out, but i always think that i'd rather keep warm walking for help than waiting for someone else to come along.

Also take a 12v phone charger and a torch so you can see, and a reflective hi-viz belt so you can be seen.

Most modern phones these days can give you access to Google Maps, so you should be able to locate the nearest house or public convenience and workout if its worth walking or not.

The rule of thumb is, if you are stuck, others might get stuck trying to get to you, so you could be there for a very long time and drag others into your problem.

Raistlin's experience with his Vaux****

:eek:

I think he meant theoilburner, B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links