Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Clearners

Viper_7

Guys/Gals,

Do any of you guys use any specific cleaners on ya alloys?

I ask, because I'm currentl on my thrid set of Alloy's from new...and looking to get another set soon on warranty again. All due to the well know pitting problem.

Now I've heard this is actually due to alloy cleaners...you know the mild acidic jobbies.

The Alloy is actually permeable, and does let moisture...cleaners to penetrate it. Thus using cleaners can actually casue the pitting...as it seeps through and gets under the surface.

does anyone have any theories.opinions on this??

I use autoglym alloy cleaner on and off... and is suitable for Alloy's with a laqured finish. I also actually use toyota's own shampoo and wax...but find this is not sufficient to get the break dust etc off the alloys.

So 1. should I use said cleaners..or not. And if so...then who does the issue sit with??? I'm using a product that is suitable for said alloy type....ie if it is doing damage,,,then my gripe is with the product manufacture...or are Toyota's alloys just soo poor?

Cheers,

Vipes.

i perosnally blast them with a power washer, obvsiouly not too high powered, just ya basic halford or b&q jobby, i've always found this to remove brakedust.

I have used normall car wax on them before or autoglym car polish and it puts a layer of protection on em, and if ya keep em clean often this should be fine.

and mine to get some !Removed! crap chucked at em, just look at this after doughnutting on a field. And they still come up clean, well they will do when i've cleaned em :huh:

mydirtywheel.jpg

nice rims tiktok! :lol:

i use autoglym - swear by it and never had a problem at all

I personally advise every customer in the store I work for here in Australia to never use any alloy wheel cleaner, There all a alkaline or acid based system and they do more harm than good,

I personally polish them every 6 months with Meguiars Gold class polish and wax,

I use a lambs wool cloth and Meguiars gold class wash to wash the car, And I clean the wheels last with a slightly stronger mix of the wash & Using the same lambs wool cloth.

I use a softer than normal brake pad for better brake performance, And these Pads give off a massive amount of dust after a hard run down the mountain range, At the end of a 30km run my chrome wheels are almost black, I wait a few hours for the wheels/car to cool and then I go and wash everything, Works well, I still get people asking me when I put the new wheels on the car! :thumbsup:

cool, sounds like good advice.

my rims are errr, ooh let me dig around in my head, wolfrace, urbans? shadow chrome or something like that, only 17's, with 215x40x17 tyres. although you can fit upto 19's on mine, i've heard many reports of 18's + 19's effecting handling and have known several people to revert back to 17's. So thats what i got. When i have the money, i'm having em sprayed gold, as i miss my gold wheels.

yea agree, what rims are they??

They are the standard Yaris TS rims.

Yea Autoglym does do wonders..but yes it does contain mild acids.

I follow the instructions to the letter...ie one wheel at a time, and only

leave it on for less than a min. and throughly rinse It off.

The pitting I have...and have had on the other two occasions is definitly from under

the surface, and affects different area's of the alloy.

It's just that I've heard that the cleaners do penetrate the surface....and attack

it from underneath.....but if that was the case...then Autoglym would quite

quickly find themselves in court, due to a product that does damage...so I

don't belive that....still think it's just the dogy toyota alloys.

Ah well!

Cheers,

Vipes

I use with success washing up liquid! Just on the wheels before everyone jumps up and down.

A bucket of water with a bit of fairy and they look like new, rinse with fresh water and Hey Presto! New wheels! Cuts through the grim no problem and I also use a alloy wheel cleaning brush to get in between the spokes.

:thumbsup:

yea agree, what rims are they??

wolfrace urban racers! snap!

indeed, think i said that to ya when i met ya. only difference is mine are 5 stud. Oh and iddn;t you have yours reprayed like 50 thousand times? :lol: so doubt in better condition than mine. I've a couple of kurbs marks :angry:

once ive had em done once!...................rammed one into a kirb and me mates mum hit one with the garage door so gotta have them done again!

they aint exactly shadow chrome no more tho! civic type r wheel paint with pearlecent silver sprayed over!

I was advised ( by alloy wheel refurb company) to wash off with normal shampoo ( of fairy ), then apply a product called "Armour all".

This product is silicon based & does not allow anything to sit on the wheels for too long.

I've used this now for the last month & all appears to be OK.

:thumbsup: ME AND MY MATE SWEAR BY COMMA PRODUCTS AS THEY HAVE COME TOP IN SOME OF AUTO EXPRESS TESTS ,THE WHEEL CLEANER,CAR WASH AND POLISH ARE TOPS.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links