Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flame On !

Jimlad

ok... my once red rear bumper is now looking like pizza boys. All black from flame pops... lol

Since I got the unichip fitted the thing is shooting flames quite a bit. Quite fun... but bad for the paint work.

Any idea why it does this ? Simply because power etc was increased ? Or is it something to do with the bov.

Not complaining really as I think it sounds cool and probably looks cool from the rear... just curious.

Jim,

It does it on my bike and all my other mates bikes when the engine mixture is set up so that it burns more fuel. On bikes its dead easy to muck about with so you can flame on quite easily - normally you can rev the f**k out of it then - it may flame then, or you can kill the engine and press the starter again and it shoots a nice flame out with a bang!!! - sweet.

If youve just had your unichip thingy fitted, it may just be the fuelling?? ie...lots of it pumping through the 2!!!

Yeah, it's running rich. Could be fuelling problems because of the BOV or just too much fuel being dumped. (the latter is most likely)

When setting up cam timing your aim is always to achieve equal valve lift at TDC (when the piston reaches top dead centre). This subsequently results in some degree of overlap.

During this period of overlap some vapourised fuel may pass from the inlet valve and out of the exhaust valve, and will eventually meet with the air outside your car when it reaches the end of your exhaust system (I'm assuming you don't have a cat'). This fuel vapour, combined with oxygen and a bit of heat from the exhaust will tend to combust.

Of course, your turbo will be increasing exhaust temperatures also, which when combined with a mapped ECU to increase fuelling and the lack of a catalytic convertor in your exhaust, will mean an even higher chance of popping flames.

However, popping flames and shooting huge columns of fire from your exhaust are two enitrely different things... If you're experiencing the latter than you're most definitely over fuelling.

Yea mine's doing this now after I've turned the boost up. Only does it when you accelerate hard. It's pretty cool though :thumbsup:

Aha Jimlad I was back at Dastek yesterday(m8s elise gettin a diagnostic) and questioned Gerry about this.

Have you checked to see if they are actually flames or just hefty pops? You see my car used to pop flames before the Unichip (achived if you rev between 4k-5.5k on idle,accel off at high rpm or downshifting) but now it doesnt do this anymore. This is because the Unichip has been mapped so it DOESNT pop flames. Flames are bad unless your car is pretty heavily tuned (overrun in order to protect the valves). Your actually losing power if your flaming with a mederatley tuned car. There was even a black Scooby in that day trying to correct this rich running effect.

The stock ECU in my tubby was inefficient when I decatted it and ran too rich creating flame before. The unichip corrected this fault. It will be the same with yours. My car now makes heavy pops but I know for a fact it doesnt flame now fortunatley.

The answer to your burn marks is cos your car is pushing higher boost therefore the zorst end is even hotter now. Mongoose zorsts are known to create this problem on tubbys as they sit too close to the bumper. i might get burn plates.

u c , I don't know if it's popping flames or just popping... but the bumper is getting scorched slightly... but nothing compared to what yours was like. Possibly just what you said about zorst.

Burn plates eh ?? sounds interesting !!

I'll be back at dastek soonish once I get WI and the uprated actuator

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links