Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Problems

marcandsebe

Hi I have a 2003 2.5 D4D Doublecab pickup. I towed a caravan across Spain's motorways last year and was putting the foot to the floor going up many steep hills to keep momentum. On one heavy stretch, the engine lost total power, but did not cut out completely. It crawled up the hill and I got off the motorway. After about half an hour, it was ok again and I proceeded on my way. My mechanic back home said it might be a sort of safety mode to protect the engine. Since that time it has done it again, but without any caravan or heavy right foot. Once on the motorway and once in town. Does anyone know what this might be? It has not happened for a couple of months now. Thanks in advance.

Hi I have a 2003 2.5 D4D Doublecab pickup. I towed a caravan across Spain's motorways last year and was putting the foot to the floor going up many steep hills to keep momentum. On one heavy stretch, the engine lost total power, but did not cut out completely. It crawled up the hill and I got off the motorway. After about half an hour, it was ok again and I proceeded on my way. My mechanic back home said it might be a sort of safety mode to protect the engine. Since that time it has done it again, but without any caravan or heavy right foot. Once on the motorway and once in town. Does anyone know what this might be? It has not happened for a couple of months now. Thanks in advance.

my own personal guess is that the turbo may have over boosted, and made the ecu go into a limp mode,

turning the ignition off would reset this,

i had a simular regular problem on a transit i used to drive,

if i floored it and gave it loads of revs, it would drop into limp mode

It's probably something that cannot be sorted then. I did switch off the engine and it was ok on the last 2 occasions.

It's probably something that cannot be sorted then. I did switch off the engine and it was ok on the last 2 occasions.

indeed, if the turbo overboosts the engine goes in limp mode.

bring it in a diesel expert and they will adjust the turbo. i had this with a L200 couple years back.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links