Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi, Need Buying Advice

sunil

Hi, i am new to this forum.

Having just sold my M3 convertible due to taking a bigger mortgage, i have my heart set on picking up a Corlolla Gti 16 somwhere around the 1991 age.

Could anyone please point me in the direction of a source of reliable ones or is it a matter of scouring the classifieds and auto trader?

Any other pointers much appreciated as i know very little about them at all. Would 1991 era be RWD or FWD (what are the cut off dates?)

Thanks in advance

Sunil

hi there and welcome

a 1991 gti would be FWD with a 1.6 129bhp twin cam 16 valve engine.

your best bet is look through the classifieds and dont buy the firs one you see.

rust around rear wheel arches and below the glass on the tailgate are common and not that easy to permanantly cure so look for evidence of repairs here as the owner may have had it "tarted up" to sell. other than that you can expect toyota reliability as long as its been serviced regularly. all in all not a bad little car and will still give a few modern 'hot hatches' a run for their money :thumbsup:

thanks mate, seen a few in the autotrader today from £850 up to £1,800. Problem is their all mostly up North and a pain as i live in London. Will keep hunting though

PS, when was RWD standard on them, earlier models?

Thanks

S

good advise from Dawesy there, rust is the biggest problem for cars that are not well looked after.

I am thinking of selling mine but i'm really not sure, when Dawsey said "all in all not a bad little car and will still give a few modern 'hot hatches' a run for their money "

I think he meant 'when driven correctly it will give ALL hot hatches a run for their money' :thumbsup:

GTir - pants clutch attached to a weak drive train sloppy launches bad weight distribution round corners, not really a match unless its wet

WRX- Fair Game will depend soley on driver experience

Civic Type R - you will match it off the line fall back mid range but catch up top end

Fiesta turbo, Saxo VTR, nova's with calibra engines - just traffic

M3's are fair game too, but the rolla has a weight/power advantage

Z3's are a close match.

Trouble is you never know hoe much a cars been modded, i live in Southend so virtually every car has 'xorst and filter as standard mod, even mine.

It takes a while to understand and appreciate the characteristics of a good 4age and the gear box to get the most from it.

I'm curious about selling mine, but wouldn't know what to go for, probably a skyline, depends on how much i get for the rolla, perhaps you could twist my arm. ?? :(

sorry, i try not to get on here at weekends... LOL.

I'll send you a mail. the only trouble i'm having is this....

I love my car, its super reliable, excellent drive, never boring and always developing, comfortable and quick

To be honest its only a 1991 Gti so not worth a lot, i've worked hard on it to get it to its current condition and maintain that condition.

what would i replace it with ?

• 3 weeks later...
good advise from Dawesy there, rust is the biggest problem for cars that are not well looked after.

I am thinking of selling mine but i'm really not sure, when Dawsey said "all in all not a bad little car and will still give a few modern 'hot hatches' a run for their money "

I think he meant 'when driven correctly it will give ALL hot hatches a run for their money'  :thumbsup:

GTir - pants clutch attached to a weak drive train sloppy launches bad weight distribution round corners, not really a match unless its wet

Civic Type R - you will match it off the line fall back mid range but catch up top end

Z3's are a close match.

Trouble is you never know hoe much a cars been modded, i live in Southend so virtually every car has 'xorst and filter as standard mod, even mine.

It takes a while to understand and appreciate the characteristics of a good 4age and the gear box to get the most from it.

I'm curious about selling mine, but wouldn't know what to go for, probably a skyline, depends on how much i get for the rolla, perhaps you could twist my arm. ?? :(

hello!,

I noticed you said you live in Southend?, Was that you on the A127 lastnight (30th)?. At about 22:40ish. I know this is a shot in the dark, but that pic on your sig looks like the one that i saw. If this is you, I was the guy in the silver Fiesta Zetec-S you had a play with off the lights and down the A127 :thumbsup:

I sold a nice H plate red STANDARD for £1200 - but it did have 60k with a Full Service History and was MINT.....

Rash

Hi

My dad wants to sell his GTI (he wants a Lex)

totally standard 1992 K reg with 105k and FSH

let me know if you are interested

Later

I think he meant 'when driven correctly it will give ALL hot hatches a run for their money'  :thumbsup:

Z3's are a close match.

hello!,

I noticed you said you live in Southend?, Was that you on the A127 lastnight (30th)?. At about 22:40ish. I know this is a shot in the dark, but that pic on your sig looks like the one that i saw. If this is you, I was the guy in the silver Fiesta Zetec-S you had a play with off the lights and down the A127 :thumbsup:

Nah not me i'm afraid, i'm old and dont get out much after 10:00pm !

I was playing with a rs turbo fiesta (red) on the 127 the other day on the way home though...

There are Two other red Gti's around the Southend area though that have mods. probably one of them. One has an Evo front with mesh all over, the other looks pretty stock but lowered on 16 i think.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links