Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Driving Lights

Steve@Aberdeen

I often find single beam headlights leave a poorly lit area just in front of me when they're on main beam. My current Rav4 has twin headlights as standard so no problem as the dipped beam stays on, lighting up the near road, whilst the main beam lets me see further ahead. My previous Freelander (which served me well for four years and has served my son-in-law just as well for a further four years) only had single beam lights so I had auxiliary driving lights fitted.

In speccing out my new Hilux purchase I've included the driving lights as the Hilux has single beam headlights (thought I'd try to get a potential niggle sorted from the start). However, my Toyota dealer tells me they don't work as normal (i.e. come on/off with main beam). Instead, he says (and this is copied straight from his email): "When the lamps are switched ON the headlights go OFF and the sidelights come ON. The fog lights/spotlights also come ON." I'm confused :( Does this mean the lights substitute for the main beam but I lose the dip? The dealer doesn't have a Hilux with them fitted to demo, so his comments are from a mechanic who's fitted them. Anyone here have them on his/her truck?

I've also not been able to find their rating - unless they're particularly high power, I can't see what benefit they are as described above.

TIA, guys.

Front fog lamps will come on with side lights or headlights, they dont go off, somebody is confused :unsure:

Kingo :thumbsup:

My query is with the driving lights - the accessory ones that fit through the front grill, listed in the Hilux brochure.

I'm even more confued :g:

Fog lamps work as above. They have no connection to the accessory driving lamps

The driving lamps will come on with MAIN BEAM they will not be on with dipped beam. You could switch fog lamps on AND driving lamps but the driving lamps are wired to main beam only, not dipped beam

I'm even more confued :g:

Fog lamps work as above. They have no connection to the accessory driving lamps

The driving lamps will come on with MAIN BEAM they will not be on with dipped beam. You could switch fog lamps on AND driving lamps but the driving lamps are wired to main beam only, not dipped beam

That's what I thought they would do. However, my Toyota dealer says that, due to legislation, they're not connected that way now. I'm not sure why the fog lights come into it, either. I'm quoting his text straight from the email in my original post, hoping someone has a Mk6 or 7 Hilux with the Toyota lights fitted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links