Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear View Camera

marcandsebe

Has anyone installed a rear view camera and if so, was it easy to fit?

Has anyone installed a rear view camera and if so, was it easy to fit?

Find the accessory installation manual for it and you can judge for yourself.(just click "search AIM" put IQ in and scroll through all the accessories until you find it)

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim.aspx?menuitem=1

I had an interest in it once but it looks mighty complicated and would no doubt invalidate various warranties if attempted oneself!

If you Google Motorhome rear view cameras. there are a number of wireless ones, that work to varying degrees of satisfation. AS an IQ is about 20 foot shorter than a motorhome, you may be in with a chance with better reception !

Rgds

i just got to ask this. Why a rear view camera? Trucks, buses and motorhomes worth the effort. seems a bit of overkill with a motor that you can touch the rear window from the drivers seat with.

• Like 1

Hi,

I installed yesterday a rear view camera in my IQ with the TNS510 radio. It wasn't an original camera, so some fittings were required.

Installed it in the bumper, over the license plate, beside the lights. Although I still have to make some adjustments in its centering position, it is a good place to put it. more discreet than the original one and still at a high enough position not to distort the image.

Then, using the original installing manual found here:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy/aimuploads/%7B0EE6867A-9539-274F-C9B4-503D57C89539%7D/IQ_Rear_View_Camera_PZ422_00140_00_AIM_001_431_0.pdf

and the radio installation manual:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy/aim_searchByKword1.asp?d=1&action=kword&mscssid=&strKword=tns510&admin=

Figured out the pinning (this was the hard part) and that was it.

The pinning was somewhat different from the original too. In the original both video and power signals come from the radio. In my case I had to use the rear light 12v energy to power the camera cause it seems to have a different voltage from the original(?).

Then I connected it to the red + black wire (there are 4 wires to connect according to the installation manual. check it) and that's it.

You don't have to reprogram your radio or anything. As soon as it detects the camera it turns on as you put the car in reverse...

It had a cost of 20Eur (there are even cheaper cameras, but this had night view and control grids).

One problem with my camera, though, is that after installing it and testing, now it only displays in black/white. I believe the camera is faulty, because it was ok at first. Will check it and post later.

Hope this helps future installations.

All the best,

Carlos from Portugal.

• Like 1

i just got to ask this. Why a rear view camera? Trucks, buses and motorhomes worth the effort. seems a bit of overkill with a motor that you can touch the rear window from the drivers seat with.

I just like my toys. I have sensors and camera on my Hilux and find I can get much closer with the camera than the sensors.

I bought the toyota rear view camera kit and yes I found it easy to install.

Then again I used to work in vehicle installing alarms etc but the instructions were straight forward.

Hardest part was getting the rear wiper motor out but I managed to move it to one side and work around it.

I just like my toys. I have sensors and camera on my Hilux and find I can get much closer with the camera than the sensors.

Yeah, well... I forgot to say I also installed parking sensors (4 rear, 2 front)... It's amazing the difference they do in parking, plus, they help with the blind spots.

On a side note, I've been using parking sensors for a while now, since I gave my wife her first car: a massive Volvo 940. At first it was meant to help her cause she couldn't park so well, but then I noticed it really made a difference even for my "experienced" parking. I installed a kit in my car too and after a while, I was so used to it, I was driving my grandfather's car and crushed a car behind mine in a careless manoover... I was waiting for the "beep"! Since that episode I installed parking sensors in every car I drove!

Now I bought this IQ for my mom, that after 40+years without driving, decided she wants to drive again... I chose it due to its size and when I bought it, I was afraid it would feel a bit wired, like the smart. I started driving around to show my mom how it works and fell in love with it!

I have a Volvo, a Land Rover and even an old Porsche and I can tell you the IQ is in my top favorites! It's so easy to drive and smooth... If I didn't drive it frequently I wouldn't believe how great it is! it's way more than it looks at first sight...

If it wasn't for the plastics quality and the ridiculous interior light it would be perfect!

By the way, I also upgraded the interior light and the horn, hehehe.

...but I'm going a bit offtopic... The point is: every help counts and if you can increase either your view or safety, by all means, do it!

Carlos.

Yeah, well... I forgot to say I also installed parking sensors (4 rear, 2 front)... It's amazing the difference they do in parking, plus, they help with the blind spots.

On a side note, I've been using parking sensors for a while now, since I gave my wife her first car: a massive Volvo 940. At first it was meant to help her cause she couldn't park so well, but then I noticed it really made a difference even for my "experienced" parking. I installed a kit in my car too and after a while, I was so used to it, I was driving my grandfather's car and crushed a car behind mine in a careless manoover... I was waiting for the "beep"! Since that episode I installed parking sensors in every car I drove!

Now I bought this IQ for my mom, that after 40+years without driving, decided she wants to drive again... I chose it due to its size and when I bought it, I was afraid it would feel a bit wired, like the smart. I started driving around to show my mom how it works and fell in love with it!

I have a Volvo, a Land Rover and even an old Porsche and I can tell you the IQ is in my top favorites! It's so easy to drive and smooth... If I didn't drive it frequently I wouldn't believe how great it is! it's way more than it looks at first sight...

If it wasn't for the plastics quality and the ridiculous interior light it would be perfect!

By the way, I also upgraded the interior light and the horn, hehehe.

...but I'm going a bit offtopic... The point is: every help counts and if you can increase either your view or safety, by all means, do it!

Carlos.

Thanks Carlos

I agree. I have sensors on my Hilux (Front & rear plus a camera) I'm having the Toyota parking sensors installed as we speak (Rear only I think). Definitely better than none at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links