Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filter

Chuck04

Mate of mine was trying to offer me some advice, he suggested rather than going with an induction kit, jst replace standard filter wit a new performance 1, recons will still add some decent sound, what u guys recon, any 1 shed some light on the matter !!

Chuch

panel filters do add a bit of a grunt and a sucking noise and they are damn cheaper compared to ind kits and easier to fit

I think these sorts of filters give a typical 2-4bhp increase. Induction kits give 6-9bhp increase. The sound will be slightly better, when I fitted a new airfilter in my car (although not a performance one) there was a nice sorta sucking noise. Only lasted a few weeks tho, and it was pretty quiet. Doubt anyone else would really notice it but yourself.

Thats just my guess tho. If your looking for purely sound and performance gain then you can't beat an inuction kit. If your looking at just a cleaner and washable lifetime filter then just get a replacement.

Dont suppose you know anysite, or ideas of where i can pick one of these up, what am i looking for?? lol

induction kit 6-9 bhp gain??????????

ull be lucky to get anything that resembles a gain unless its forced induction!!!

CB

Thats wat i was thinking, considering it being a small engine, not relay going to notice any power gain, nothin considerable anyways. Main reasons for doubting gettin one, esp after reading the post regaring the probs ppl have had from them, thats why was considering new pannel filter....

Has anyone replaced theres for an improved one, if so is there an improvement of sound????

iv just ordered a piper x pannel filter for my bros T - Sport (only £30).

i used to av a rover 114 GSi and wen i had it, there were no induction kits out for it, but i managed to get a universal K&N pannel filter (which fitted perfectly :)) and i drilled some holes in the side of the airbox (the side furthest away from the engine) and i bought a cold air feed from Halfords (about £3).

it sounded so nice and throaty, everyone thought i had a new exhaust and induction kit :D lol and it seamed to pull ever so slightly better higher up in the rev range.

anyways back to my bros car lol...

after lookin at the T - sports air intake system (ie the air box), i decided that an induction kit would be a little to close to the engine for my liking, and also a good heat sheild would be needed me thinks (as well as cold air feeds).

looking at the air box, i realised i could make a hole on the right hand side of the box (opposite side to the engine) and fit a cold air feed straight into the box from the front grill/head lamp area....this way it would get extra cold air and not suffer from the engine heat as much as an induction kit!

also a piper x pannel filter is £30 which is a lot cheaper than the induction kits out there! and i can buy a cold air feed from Halfords for 3 odd squid.

so this is why i decided to go down the modified air box with performance pannel filter route!

and if worse come to worse, wen my bro sells the car, if the new owner dont want/like the air box modd, all i av to do is buy the lower half of an air box (the sr is the same size i believe (257 length and 115 width))... or failing that as long as i cut the hole out of the box well, i could always put it back in and seal it (use sum tigre seal etc) lol i know that sounds bodge, but im sure id make a good job of it!

thats my 2p worth :P

james

proper bo' induction solution there. but why tell me after I've just ordered a £100 Apexi kit??? ;)

proper bo' induction solution there. but why tell me after I've just ordered a £100 Apexi kit??? ;)

well wen did u order urs? u can always change ur mind!

tho me thinks ur bein sarcastic :unsure::yes:

i made this topic " Which Springs And Filter To Get?" on Mar 12 2004, 12:36 AM

should av read it :P

james

Ahh, but I placed my order at the beginning of March... and my kit is already winging its way over from deepest japan-land... besides, I'm sure it'll be fine after I've shielded it... might just get some hosing and find a different home for the new filter...

Don't worry you made a good choice with the apexi kit. Dry filter so no worry about oil covering air sensor and can set it up quite simply to get cold air or even buy the apexi piping bit. I would still go for the apexi out of the two choices.

So would u recomend going with a piper x pannel filter then, if leave standard witout drillin whole etc, is it gonna make much noise to standard noise produced at the mo, BEARING in mind that mines only a 1l engine !!

So would u recomend going with a piper x pannel filter then, if leave standard witout drillin whole etc, is it gonna make much noise to standard noise produced at the mo, BEARING in mind that mines only a 1l engine !!

i let u know how a modified air box with piper x pannel filter sounds/performs in a few weeks wen iv done it to my bros!

james :thumbsup:

Don't worry you made a good choice with the apexi kit....I would still go for the apexi out of the two choices.

well i know which one id rather have :P...well if i was minted then i may have got the apexi as long as i could make a good enough heat sheild for it! (with cold air feed obviously).

super !Removed!... just an idea, but y dont u try and buy some metal sheeting and make an open box sort of thing arround the filter! with cold air feeds.

_______

/_CONE_/

^^^^ lol

james

Already got some shiny ally plate just for that purpose! All i need is some flexible hosing and I've got my cold air too. You mentioned Halfords before? That's probably a damn sight cheaper than Demon Tweeks!

Thanks james, jst sounded lil complicated, whole aspect of drillin into it :blink: hehe but yea keep me posted, as dont realy wanna go down the induction kit line at the mo

Already got some shiny ally plate just for that purpose! All i need is some flexible hosing and I've got my cold air too. You mentioned Halfords before? That's probably a damn sight cheaper than Demon Tweeks!

cool! :thumbsup:

eye, Halfords cold air feeds are a lot cheaper than Demon Tweeks!

the Halfords one looks identical to the green cotton cold air feeds! (prob is the same, just cheaper lol)

halford ones range from about £2 - £5 depending on what size diameter u want.

the ducting is alloy i think (looks nice) and its very flexable (u mold it to the shape u want)

james

Thanks james, jst sounded lil complicated, whole aspect of drillin into it :blink: hehe but yea keep me posted, as dont realy wanna go down the induction kit line at the mo

yea it does sound complicated the way i described it lol...

its very simple really...av a look at ur air box (take it apart, look at the filter element, u will then understand how it works) wont take 5 mins...

really all u do it unclip and remove the bottom of the air box and drill out a circular hole (the size of ur cold air feed) and put the new performance pannel filter in and place the new cold air feed inside the box, and feed the rest of the cold air feed to the front grill or by the head lamp and use tie clips to hold it in place.

OR instead of drillin one hole in the air box for the feed to fit directly into it, drill a few holes and place the cold air feed by the holes.

lol the above sounds confusing now?! (well not to me!) :P

one thing tho...make sure u drill the holes on the right hand side of the box (as u look at it) which is furthest side away from the engine! (this is to stop as much heat as poss)

i tell u what...when i do do it, il take some pics and write up a step by step guide, so that anyone else in the future can follow it if they like.

it wont be for a while yet tho, as im at uni, and im goin on footy tour very soon, so it will av to be done after (the begining of April)

james

im going to be building an ally sheild round my filter too!

got my cold air feed for free, it was ahem............liberated from a Scania truck central heatin system!

I'm just about to get one. You getting a dyno then - do u have a before so can do a comparision.

How much pay for it? If don't mind

Thanks

Si

>ull be lucky to get anything that resembles a gain unless its forced induction!!!

Hmmm. so how did we then r/r it after having a HKS indcution fitted and an HKS backbox fitted get 119bhp as opposed to the standard 106???

u not gonna tell me that a backbox done this. I don't think so. And yes we have the r/r sheets ot prove it etc. I think you will find many peeps on here have found nice gains from ind kits.

i say mine got an approx 120 cos of the bits ive added and a reference to the rr output i was provided with from Oli

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links