Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Did Toyota Fully Fix The Vvti Oil Consumption Issues

Red diesel

Evening folks

Reading through some of the treads on here - it seems people are still having oil consumption issues with VVTI engines.

So my question is - did Toyota ever fully come up with a fully effective permanent cure for the problem bearing in mind their cop out suggestion that once the car is using less than 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles.

Finally - if a Toyota VVTI engined car with the ZZ engines (i think its ZZ that was the code for the oil drinking engines)had a new engine fitted - is that car likely

to be permanently cured of the proble or will it come back again.

Red diesel

Evening folks

Reading through some of the treads on here - it seems people are still having oil consumption issues with VVTI engines.

So my question is - did Toyota ever fully come up with a fully effective permanent cure for the problem bearing in mind their cop out suggestion that once the car is using less than 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles.

Finally - if a Toyota VVTI engined car with the ZZ engines (i think its ZZ that was the code for the oil drinking engines)had a new engine fitted - is that car likely

Red diesel

HI Red

when you say new engine,do you mean a short engine,ie the block with piston,crankshsft etc.these have the modified pistons and rings that was supposed to cure the oil consumption problems.

you would have thought these mods would have been used in the later built engines,but there are still examples of excessive oil consumption still being reported.

piston and piston ring design has not change that much over many years,so how are they getting it wrong.

as ive said before the 1ltr/1000 miles is a cop out.

this could be sorted out by quality control,then you would not get some engines without problems and some with it.

Evening folks

Red diesel

HI Red

when you say new engine,do you mean a short engine,ie the block with piston,crankshsft etc.these have the modified pistons and rings that was supposed to cure the oil consumption problems.

you would have thought these mods would have been used in the later built engines,but there are still examples of excessive oil consumption still being reported.

piston and piston ring design has not change that much over many years,so how are they getting it wrong.

as ive said before the 1ltr/1000 miles is a cop out.

this could be sorted out by quality control,then you would not get some engines without problems and some with it.

Well i guess that means no E12 Corolla VVTI for mummy then - Fiesta 1.25 Mk 6 2005 vintage here we come lol

Seriously though - is the short engine the normal (ahem) cure for this problem then, and how successful is the short engine replacement in

curing the problem. Finally you say issues are still being reported - i wonder are those issues coming up a lot less now and whether engines

are getting to higher mileages before developing problems.

The reason i was wondering in the first place was because one of our motors could be due for replacing in the next while (we shall see

what the NCT man has to say lol) and as it does :censor: all miles i was thinking early E12 Corolla thinking that all the ZZ engines have

already been fixed or the ones that weren't were fine (and so should be fine for a while yet).

Thanks very much for your reply

Red diesel

Well mine has just developed the fault and it's on 98k. It could be a blessing in disguise it happening so late for me as if the fix lasts (and I'm assuming Toyota will fix it as it seems to be withing the requirements) it could give the car the legs to go on to 150k+ miles.

Short block!

i dont know if you disagree with my discription or not.

but ive always known it as a short engine for the past 60 years.

but if you do search for for both names they are equily used.

so you take choice.

and mine is short engine,because there is no cylinder head sump.the same as your short block,but the block is not any shorter,how could it be.so why is it described as being short.

My understanding is, it was pre 2005 engines, Mine is a 2005 1.8 and has never used a drop of oil 50,000 to 60,000 mile. I am informed that it was inferior rings that were supplied to Toyota so modification is not necessary, only replacement.

Short block!

what a stupid name,do they machine the top ofthe block to make it shorter,so the pistons stick out,or do machine the bottom of the crankcase so when engines running the big ends dip in the sump oil. no they dont.

described as as a short engine makes moore sense,no cyl head,no sump,so shorter than complete engine.

Short block!

what a stupid name,do they machine the top ofthe block to make it shorter,so the pistons stick out,or do machine the bottom of the crankcase so when engines running the big ends dip in the sump oil. no they dont.

described as as a short engine makes moore sense,no cyl head,no sump,so shorter than complete engine.

Short block or short engine who cares :huh:

I have refered to this in both forms so they both mean the same thing :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links