Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It Has Begun!

Funkadelic

It has now officially kicked off, well and truly.

At first it was all about small, slightly sideways slides on quiet roundabouts.

Today, however, was quite another story. I got COMPLETELY sideways and spun out... But I won't be defeated - A 2AM trip to the same roundabout is scheduled in for tonight/tomorrow morning and next time I'll do it 'til I get it right.

Even though I spun out it was massively great fun. Managed not to end up going backwards, but styled it with a bit of a burnout (a learner driver had just arrived at the junction and was looking slightly confused so I had to redeem myself somehow) and then drove with me and my mate laughing our heads off. No harm done.

Man, sideways is so much better than forwards.

*Thinking of selling up and buying a 200SX now* ;)

Nah, could never do that.

Drifting in a tubby isnt fun at all...the turbo is too damn aggressive and you cant maintain consistent drifts like FRs easily. Personally im loving the dry weather recently as I can finally drive the car to its handling limits and its such a joy to finally be able to do this. It feels great...cant wait till summer :)

I can imagine it would be a bit tricky trying to hold a slide in a turbo - You'd be trying to maintain the slide on the throttle and the boost would kick in, sending you flying round in a circle!

I wouldn't even dare try and drift the G Limited to be honest, but a quick slide round a roundabout seems like it'll be manageable once I know when to catch it in order to hold the slide. If Clarkson can do it in Ferraris, I can do it in an MR2 (and if I can't it'll cost much less to repair) :D

Well, that's the theory. Maybe I'll find some stuff to weigh down the front a bit. :eek:

crazy !!!

Tubbys are not good for drifting/sliding at all... they can be quite unpredictable.

You'll be sorry one day you stonk off the kerb, or another car !

I think if I had an MRT, I probably wouldn't even be stupid enough to try it in all honesty, no matter how tempting.

I'm still very much getting acquainted with the MR2, and that's what this is all about really - Limits.

But in order to demonstrate to a friend of mine just how much difference a few drops of water can make, I got it sideways/backwards/out of control (but not at a speed so fast that I wasn't able to stop it). Never would I go screaming into a roundabout at 60mph in an attempt to encircle the thing twice whilst travelling sideways! No way! I don't mind if I hit a traffic island - I can afford the damage, but I would mind if I hit another car and upset another driver!

Still, it is !Removed! good fun and I can't wait for the next airfield day at which I can go nuts :D In the mean time I shall continue to dabble when nobody is around. :ph34r:

i wanna do that. but i seem to hav the rotten luck of the police appearing outa nowhere everytime i wanna do that. so i can't nemore.

too much police round nowadays...

mite even join em...

-Z

If Clarkson can do it in Ferraris, I can do it in an MR2 (and if I can't it'll cost much less to repair)

Those nice sideways drifts you see the TV journos pull off are after like 20 takes of spinouts. The NA MR2 is better to drift with deffo. :thumbsup:

But I must admit I am always tempted to do a sneaky drift when I see a wide roundabout and its a quiete night hells yea. I am just much more experienced in driving the car now so nowt really catches me off gaurd anymore.

I'm thinking of getting an SX.....

You're not the only one :ph34r:

Maybe I'll get one in a couple of years as a second car. :unsure:

My friend has managed to write off two MR2 twin entry turbo's by getting them sideways at junctions/corners. The first time he ended up under a double decker bus, lucky escape. The second time he lost the back end going around a corner, gains grip halfway around, turbo kicks in............bang into a speed limit post! Tried to drive it home, radiator cracked, water comes out, ceased the engine up :crybaby:

I drove it several times and with 270 horses going through the rear wheels with no traction control I can see how easy it is to do. Still want to get one though :D

Joe

Ending up under a double decker bus suggests to me that your mate chose a rather inappropriate time/place for a bit for sideways action! :unsure::blink:

I find the N/A is actually quite controllable but if you do make a mistake you don't get a single chance to correct yourself unless you are so experienced that your reactions are lightning quick. The turbo would be even worse!

Yeah, I drive an n/a at the minute. I'm seriously thinking about getting a 200sx. I'm on the owners club at the minute.

I did initially want a turbo'd mr2, but couldn't afford import insurance. So a UK 200sx turbo would be nice. :thumbsup:

I'm booking an airfield day which I'll attend in the '2, and see how it goes.

If I really and truly catch drift fever then I'll find a way to finance an S13 as well - Afterall, they're not expensive and if I crash it into a traffic island or something, I won't be all that bothered. I DO need a hobby! lol

By the way, what's the link to the owners club?

I'm thinking of getting an SX.....

Anyone want to buy a rev4 T-bar!?

don't do it, I am running an sx till I can affor danother 2 and it's absolutely awful in comparison...

heh, guess theres a lot of us thinking of gettin a car for some sideways action...

imo i'd like a rx-7 rather than the sx, but hey, my n/a 2 will havta do for now!

-Z

S13 for me - I'd stack it sooner or later. Much better to stack something that wasn't ever particularly attractive to begin with!

I'd love an RX7 as a daily driver but I'd have to sell it before it was due a rebuild, and I don't think anybody would want to buy it then!

hey all this talk of s13/14/15s...why not get a dodgy old E30 325bmw for like £400 its brilliant for drift action.

!Removed! good idea!

That had never occurred to me (although my body is just outside London, my mind is stuck in Japan).

Nice one :D

!Removed! good idea!

That had never occurred to me (although my body is just outside London, my mind is stuck in Japan).

Nice one :D

i like the way you put that... lol :D

s14a_hellcat_front.jpg

:drool:

I wish I had my own insurance company :(

You know, I bet it's not that hard...

Just set one up to insure yourself an a few mates. Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder why nobody's done it already. :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links