Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One For The Police Here..

midmotorsteve

heads gone so took it off the road, cancelled tax, suspended insurance, MOT will go before i get it fixed. Can I legally drive it to the garage to get it fixed, as i want to take it from oxford to andover (millway). As head is leaking i'll be going at 50 in the slow lane, i bet i'll get pulled for some silly reason, would it be ok? As Mot will run out, it won't pass due to emmisions i'd have thought, so therefore won't be able to get new tax,.. so sort of stuck otherwise.

i think yu can only drive to the MOT station i think

as you cancelled the tax you might not be able to plus you will need to be insured.

Gutted for u mate, can't give any advice at the mo tho. Personally id take the back roads, avoiding the cops, and get your motor sorted. So long as you dont drive like a plank (attracting attention, hitting other cars etc) then you should be fine. Dan :thumbsup:

Well it's risky. If something nasty happens (like someone dies) you will pay for it for the rest of your life.

Can it be towed or be put on the back of a pick up ?

It all depends on who pulls you, if they do.

I wouldn't reccomend taking an un taxed and un insured car anywhere. Not just for your own sake, but for others.... You might be the bestdriver in the world, but you could still be in an accident. Even if it's not your fault: You'd be a bit buggered.

If I were you I'd at least start my insurance back up for the trip, tax and MOT shouldn't be much of a problem.

But as I said, it really does depend on who pulls you over.... and what mood they're in.

insurance companies require tax now though

I used to live in good old Andover :P .I am having my car transpoted down there (I live in Rochdale and I dont fancy the 5 or 6 hour drive) to be re sprayed by a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing.

I know it is of no use to you at all. But there you go. :thumbsup:

I used to live in good old Andover :P .I am having my car transpoted down there (I live in Rochdale and I dont fancy the 5 or 6 hour drive) to be re sprayed by a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing.

I know it is of no use to you at all. But there you go. :thumbsup:

erm....alrighty then.... :blink:

Have a friend tow you. Normally under UK insurance the towing car's insurance covers both the tower and the towed (but check his insurance before... it may have changed since I was in the UK).

You are allowed to drive from a place of safe-keeping to the MoT without Tax & MOT, but not without insurance AFAIK.

hum,.. all interesting stuff. I thought it was complete catch 22, i.e i phone up re start my insurance, but technically its worth nothing as insurance is invalid without tax and mot... also of course i could insure but then be unable to get tax without a current mot...

Think (as i've never been stopped) i'll drive it to the garage, as i think they can do MOTs then once they mot it get tax. I'll re start the insurance tho, as i've only put a tempory hold on it as no ponit insuring a car when its locked in the garage.

technically its worth nothing as insurance is invalid without tax and mot... also of course i could insure but then be unable to get tax without a current mot...

No - it's not worthless. I checked out the situation many years back when I was in exactly the same situation, and unless the law has changed there is an exception for getting cars to an MoT. For that journey you don't need tax or an MoT, just insurance, either on the car itself (if you want to drive it) or on the towing car (and JappyBeast may be right about the dolly). If anything happens during that journey your insurance will cover 3rd party costs at least.

i hired a flat bed car trailer for the day for £40 when i had to get the rolla up to sheffiel to get the exhaust done.

like everyone else has said yes you might be fine but its sods law somthing will happen if you arnt taxed insured or MOT'd

You can only take your car to an MOT testing station in your case when its a PRE ARRANGED APPOINTMENT - not when you just take it there and then ask to have it done - it has to be an official appointment where they are aware of your circs.

Of course, the law has changed now and you have to declare to your insurers if your car is taxed.

Hope thats cleared that up, but bear in mind that if anything will happen - whether it be being stopped, or having an accident - sods law says it will happen to you.

It may be worth enquiring where you stand with your insurers and the MOT station that you need to book with - they'll be clued up to date.

The last thing you want is to be involved without ins, tax, mot.....

Cheers

Adam

You can only take your car to an MOT testing station in your case when its a PRE ARRANGED APPOINTMENT - not when you just take it there and then ask to have it done - it has to be an official appointment where they are aware of your circs.

Of course, the law has changed now and you have to declare to your insurers if your car is taxed.

Hope thats cleared that up, but bear in mind that if anything will happen - whether it be being stopped, or having an accident - sods law says it will happen to you.

It may be worth enquiring where you stand with your insurers and the MOT station that you need to book with - they'll be clued up to date.

The last thing you want is to be involved without ins, tax, mot.....

Cheers

Adam

Good to have a professional comment on this :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links