Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking Sensors

aygomalta

HI I WISH TO INSTALL PARKING SENSORS ON MY AYGO BLACK 2007 MODEL.

HAS ANYBODY INSTALLED THEM IN THE BOTTOM PART OF THE REAR BUMPER WERE THERE IS THAT BOTTOM EDGE.

I AM NOT SURE IF THEY FUNCTION CORRECTLY AS THEY ARE A BIT LOW.

I WISH TO INSTALL THEM DOWN THERE CAUSE I DONT WISH TO DRILL IN THE UPPER PART OF THE BUMPER.

HAS ANYBODY INSTALLED THEM IN THIS POSITION.

THANKS.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT! I'm not blind!

I had a set of sensors in that lower part, as that is where Toyota puts them too.

Never really got any real use out of them, as they pinted upwards too much AND were WAY

too sensitive. The plume of exhuast on a cold, damp morning would set them off constantly.

After three days or so I disconnected the power to the system and then completely removed

it han I had to take my rear bumper off anyway. I filled the holes with stops that usually go

into the upen end of a steel tubular table leg or a leg for a chair. Here's how it looks now:

100_5537.JPG

If you DO decide to install sensors, try to get a set that has the option of tilting them, by use of a wedged spacer or something similar.

And do NOT run the wires through the ventilation flaps as suggested in the AIM. I did and this resulted in a leak into my boot.

Here's how the wire ran. This kept the rubber flap open just enough to let spray from the rear wheels into the cabin and puddle...

100_5417.JPG

Thanks for your answer. That is what I taught would happen, normally they should be around 20 inches from floor level. On eBay I saw an electomagnetic tape which stick on the inside of the bumper. At least I wont drill the bumper. Does somebody know were I can find instructions on how to remove the rear bumper.

Thanks.

Have a look at the AIM for Toyota's own system HERE

That antenna-tape might be a problem though: AFAIK you need to keep the tape at least

2 or 3" away from metal bits, but the actual bumper behind the plastic would then be too near...

Hi thanks Jan van de Wouw it seems that toyota installs the sensors in that bottom part of the bumper. My impression was that they come to low. Normally parking sensors are installed between 50 to 60 cms from floor level. Tomorrow I measure that part of the bumper. Tks.

I have them on my Blue and they were put in the same place as Jan's by Mr T, although I have to say mine work great and well worth the £250.00 they cost to have fitted. :thumbsup:

DSC00902.jpg

Nice to hear that yours work fine down there. They look neater if placed in that part instead of the upper part of the bumper. Thanks Raistlin

hi,

i don't understand why would you need parking sensors. the car is so small that you can manage to park it or maneuver it using the inside and the side mirrors.

after a couple of months of driving and parking it i knew exactly how much space i have in front and in the back.

but it's your choice. thumbsup.gif

hi,

i don't understand why would you need parking sensors. the car is so small that you can manage to park it or maneuver it using the inside and the side mirrors.

after a couple of months of driving and parking it i knew exactly how much space i have in front and in the back.

but it's you choice. thumbsup.gif

SSShh my wife is allowed to drive it, Nuff said :shutit: :lol:

• Like 1

hi,

but it's you choice. thumbsup.gif

SSShh my wife is allowed to drive it, Nuff said :!Removed!: :lol:

than that is a veeeery good reason to have them on... yes.giflaugh.gif

I wish to know if they work correctly in the lower part of the bumper since it belongs to my daughter and she has only 2 years driving experience and the car she had before this was with parking sensors.

• 10 months later...

Hey, on the subject of parking sensors. I would like to install some parking sensors on my wifes aygo. I have installed the senors themselves into the bumper but i need help in figuring out which wires are for the reverse light ? HELP PLEASE

According to this post in the "other Aygo car like forum" it should be the "Red wire" going to the reverse lamp.

http://www.c1oc.co.u...php?f=14&t=2600

Since you are from UK your reverse lamp should be on the left rear side of the car. I would not put the sensors on the lower most rim of the bumper because you are going to have problem adjusting the angle (to avoid unnecessary ground reflections). I would put it where this guy has mounted it. It is better to have it working than not working, and looking nice! See the picture below.

http://parking-senso...toyota-aygo.asp

I have also thought of doing the same with my wife's Aygo and have just treceived the sensors (from Amazon) but will have to wait for the snow and cold weather (Sweden) to change before I can do it. I have put them in other Toyotas (RAV4) before and it is not difficult. Feeding the wires in to the car is the trickiest bit. I am convinced that it can be doe without taking out the back panel. Just use a long thin wire and string to feed the wires after you have made the hole in the back panel (rail road technique). Post pictures if you do it before I have had a go. Good luck.

O.K. here is another piece of good news. I had to suddenly change the bulbs in my rear number plate lights (one of them had blown) and while changing them I had to remove both the lights. I noticed that looking down those light holes that there was a big gap between the car body and the rear bumper panel. No problems mounting the sensors at the level I mentioned earlier. Matter of fact, one could remove those lights temporarily to feed or fish for the wires and after mounting the reversing sensor, the number plate lights can be easily clipped back on place.

• 4 weeks later...

OK here is the follow up to my post earlier. I have mounted the 4 parking sensors exactly where I mentioned earlier and drawn the wires in to the car and identified the reverse light wire. I have to connect the electrical parts tomorrow and will be testing them. Here are some tips for those planning to do the same.

(1) Positioning of the sensors according to the picture I posted earlier. The two outer sensors are no problem at all. The two middle sensors have to be placed as follows. There is a metal transverse bar about 0,5 cm below the sensors points (behind the plastic rear bumper) and it is at a depth of 2,5 cm from the bumper. The sensor itself is 2cm deep and that means I missed the metal bar both in height and breadth (good news). To judge the position of the metal bar, take out the number plate lights and look below in the two holes, feel with your finger and measure the depth to the metal bar. Mark two points (one each below the number plate light holes) and draw a line. That is the upper edge of the bar and you are supposed to avoid it while drilling the holes later. Drill above that line. First mark the position of the two outer sensors on the plastic triangle bit. Then measure the distance between these points and divide by three. The number you get is the distance between each sensor. Now mark the two middle sensor points and drill.

(2) How to thread/draw the sensor wires in to the cupe? First identify the entry point hole from the area behind the bumper to the inside of the car. In my car (left hand drive) the hole that connects the part behind the bumper to the inside of the car is on the left side. There is a conical rubber bung through which you will see a group of wires entering the cupe from the back of the car. ( That bundle incidently holds the red wire going to the reverse light (you will need to connect to that wire later)). Pass a long flexible metal wire from each of the sensor holes to the side of the car where there is a entry hole in to the cupe. So I took 4 long thin ropes of different colours and using the metal wire threaded each of them from each of the sensor hole to the left side of the car, behind the bumper. Leave the ropes in place and remove the metal wire. At this stage you should have four coloured ropes entering their respective sensor hole and exiting to the left of the car behind the bumper. I then located and removed the rubber bung from the in side of the car (just pull on it) and passed the metal wire from inside the car through the hole where the rubber bung sat earlier to the outer left side behind the bumper, where I had earlier drawn the four rope ends. I then connected all the four ropes to the metal wire and pulled them together so that they followed the metal wire in to the inside of the car. A t this stage one end of the ropes is in the inside of the car and the other end is cominng out of the hole for the back sensors. So you have created a colour coded path! Attach/tape the ends of rope to their respective sensor wire ends and pull gently. The sensor wires will follow their respective ropes in to the cupe. The most difficult part is now done. Now you should have (after rail-roading) , the tips of all sensor wires inside the cupe and the sensors themselves dangling out side their holes on the bumper.

(3) How do I pass the sensor wire through that rubber bung. So far you have pulled the sensor wires through the hole but they are lying out side the rubber bung in the metal hole. Easy, make a hole in the rubber bung and pull each of the wires one by one through that hole. Replace the rubber bung. You have a water tight seal.

(4) Connect 4 the sensor wires to the Parking sensor CPU in right order.

(4) How do I connect CPU to the reverse light. Look at that bundle of wire that came into the car through that rubber bung and traverses the breadth of the car, it has a red wire which goes to the reverse light. Just connect to it. No need to open the lights cluster.

(5) Mount the speaker/beeper at a suitable location and connect it to the CPU. You are now done and ready for testing.

OK here is the follow up to my post earlier. I have mounted the 4 parking sensors exactly where I mentioned earlier and drawn the wires in to the car and identified the reverse light wire. I have to connect the electrical parts tomorrow and will be testing them. Here are some tips for those planning to do the same.

(1) Positioning of the sensors according to the picture I posted earlier. The two outer sensors are no problem at all. The two middle sensors have to be placed as follows. There is a metal transverse bar about 0,5 cm below the sensors points (behind the plastic rear bumper) and it is at a depth of 2,5 cm from the bumper. The sensor itself is 2cm deep and that means I missed the metal bar both in height and breadth (good news). To judge the position of the metal bar, take out the number plate lights and look below in the two holes, feel with your finger and measure the depth to the metal bar. Mark two points (one each below the number plate light holes) and draw a line. That is the upper edge of the bar and you are supposed to avoid it while drilling the holes later. Drill above that line. First mark the position of the two outer sensors on the plastic triangle bit. Then measure the distance between these points and divide by three. The number you get is the distance between each sensor. Now mark the two middle sensor points and drill.

(2) How to thread/draw the sensor wires in to the cupe? No need to remove the rear bumper. First identify the entry point hole from the area behind the bumper to the inside of the car. In my car (left hand drive) the hole that connects the part behind the bumper to the inside of the car is on the left side. There is a conical rubber bung through which you will see a group of wires entering the cupe from the back of the car. ( That bundle incidently holds the red wire going to the reverse light (you will need to connect to that wire later)). Pass a long flexible metal wire from each of the sensor holes to the side of the car where there is a entry hole in to the cupe. So I took 4 long thin ropes of different colours and using the metal wire threaded each of them from each of the sensor hole to the left side of the car, behind the bumper. Leave the ropes in place and remove the metal wire. At this stage you should have four coloured ropes entering their respective sensor hole and exiting to the left of the car behind the bumper. I then located and removed the rubber bung from the in side of the car (just pull on it) and passed the metal wire from inside the car through the hole where the rubber bung sat earlier to the outer left side behind the bumper, where I had earlier drawn the four rope ends. I then connected all the four ropes to the metal wire and pulled them together so that they followed the metal wire in to the inside of the car. A t this stage one end of the ropes is in the inside of the car and the other end is cominng out of the hole for the back sensors. So you have created a colour coded path! Attach/tape the ends of rope to their respective sensor wire ends and pull gently. The sensor wires will follow their respective ropes in to the cupe. The most difficult part is now done. Now you should have (after rail-roading) , the tips of all sensor wires inside the cupe and the sensors themselves dangling out side their holes on the bumper.

(3) How do I pass the sensor wire through that rubber bung. So far you have pulled the sensor wires through the hole but they are lying out side the rubber bung in the metal hole. Easy, make a hole in the rubber bung and pull each of the wires one by one through that hole. Replace the rubber bung. You have a water tight seal.

(4) Connect 4 the sensor wires to the Parking sensor CPU in right order.

(4) How do I connect CPU to the reverse light. Look at that bundle of wire that came into the car through that rubber bung and traverses the breadth of the car, it has a red wire which goes to the reverse light. Just connect to it. No need to open the lights cluster.

(5) Mount the speaker/beeper at a suitable location and connect it to the CPU. You are now done and ready for testing.

if the car dosent come with them... why have them fitted might be useful but you can see the back our of rear window?

That arguement applies to almost every car. If I was driving the car instead of my wife, I would have ignored it since I think Aygo has a good back window (unlike some other cars and SUVs); but it is my wife who is driving it and she feels secure with it, she says. Besides we like to mod and post!

Here are som pictures of the sensor fitting. The first picture s shows the marking of position of the transverse metal bar behind the bumper with blue tape, and the sensor drilling points (white tape with cross mark). The number plate lights are removed to look at and measure the position of the metal bar. The second picture shows the holes drilled and the sensors hanging out. The third picture shows the rubber bung inside the car and the horizontal wire group where the red wire for the reverse light is present. The fourth picture shows the sensors in situ and the fifth is the buzzer unit with display. Final picture shows another optional entry point into the car via a big rubber bung that lies under the spare wheel well (look under the car). The sensor wires can be drawn in via that bung very easily instead of having to use metal wire to railroad the wires etc. Don't forget to seal it properly if using that route. The sensors are working very well!

post-7935-0-59369700-1332425154_thumb.jppost-7935-0-46716200-1332425175_thumb.jppost-7935-0-06701000-1332425197_thumb.jppost-7935-0-12841000-1332425249_thumb.jppost-7935-0-03240700-1332425282_thumb.jppost-7935-0-96990500-1332425317_thumb.jp

• 11 years later...
On 3/22/2012 at 11:14 AM, Paul Stoner said:

if the car dosent come with them... why have them fitted might be useful but you can see the back our of rear window?

Unless you have a misted up back window as the demister lines are all chiped .scratched  so need somthing to stop hitting things .

Even tho I managed to find a new back window with only 2 or 3 lines scratched  still better than a completely misted up back window.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links