Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tapping Top End

Dame

Hi Guys, it never rains but it pours. Having been wrestling with the new N/A MR2 this weekend, I've just started up my Tubby. The engine died, so i started it again..... Clouds of blue smoke and the thing sounded like a tractor. Settled down after a few seconds, but is still tapping on the top end. I think somethings wrong with the cams or something like that.... its just suddently happened though, it was fine yesterday, and its only done 62,000 miles which is surely not enough for this type of problem??

Leaky valve stems? Too much il got into the cylinders? Or head gasket

If it was the Cam then the the noise would remain all the time.

Hi Steve, thanks for the ideas.... It is tapping all the time, just not as noisily as at first. I think it may be time to strip the top end down.......

Cam is a slow tap as the valves are a faster tap...

Thanks again Steve, It's a reaonably fast ticking sound. The car is off the road now until we can take the top off (hopefully next weekend). It's not a bad thing really, since I could probably do with checking the valve clearences, replacing the cam belt etc. Bit of a shock that this has happened after only 62,000 miles.... but that's life, and I have to look at the positive side. I've had 5 years of trouble free motoring, so if the girl decides to play up a little now, I can't really complain :)

Update.... I've just started the car again. When I rev the engine a little, the ticking noise goes away, and it sounds like it is comming from the alternator. Now (sadly) I'm no expert, but the belt has been squeaking recently...... we tightened it up a few weeks ago... I'm wondering if we tightened it too much and whether we have damaged the bearings? I still cannot explain the cloud of blue smoke, but since then the car has been find on multiple startups. A product of the wet weather perhaps? Any ideas? From my experience, cams etc sound worse when the engine is revved, as the speed increase exaggerates the problem. Since there have been absolutely no prior symptons to suggest imminent top end failure, could it be something less severe?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links