Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi! new guy with a question

BoostedRotors

Hi, Im over from the RX7 club. I have a heavily modifeied RX7 that takes virtually all my money! As a result of my rotary passion, I MUST have a daily driver...(Ill admit, a high HP rotary isn't the most reliable engine on the planet).

I drive a '97 Camry LE everyday. I have owned the car since it was new and have really no complaints (other than that whole engine blowing up thing, but that was taken care of.!)

I do have a question however. From the front right of the car comes an awful rattling. It sounds as if the strut is about to fall off. It's done this forever it seems. and I have a family memeber with the same model Camry...hers does the same thing. Im assuming this is a common occurance in Camry's?

My question is, Is there a simple solution to this problem or is it something major? Thanks in advance for you help!

I have the the Windom which uses the same chassis and looks similar and I have this problem.

1st time i had it was when the shock collapsed inside and was totally worn out... had this replaced and all was fine... I only had the one shock done.

After a few months the other side went... thinking it was the shock i had the it replaced. But the rattle is still there.. the garage have had an inspection.. and it even passed an MOT.

So all i can think is the anti roll bar bushes have gone.. so I am replacing these on the 10th of feb. (£20 + labour)

It does seem a common problem and have had it for ages like it. I will let you know if it stops it. I have also booked the car in for another hour afterwards in case the rattle is still there and paying them to find the fault.. even if it takes all morning.. its driving me nuts.

• 2 months later...

I own a 1989 Toyota Camry and I had the same problem with the rattling thing and when I took it in they told me it was the wheel barring and you could drive it but it was an awful sounding grinding sound kind of like what you are describin. you should maybe check that out and if that isn't the problem then I will get back to you with some other options.

• 10 months later...

Is it coming from the engine area. Mine was doing this but would quit during acceleration, mostly around 700-1500 RPM. THen it quit working all together, had it towed. The timing belt broke. They said tha some Camary's have a problem with the tensioner on the timing belt. Replaced timing belt, and repaired tenisoner and she is queit as a mouse.

• 4 months later...

I'd agree with the wheel bearings, or rather the bearing plate that holds the bearings. It can be kinda pricey ($150ish US + labor), but it's something a couple different shops missed until I took mine to a dealer. The problem was mostly due to hitting some ghastly potholes in the Syracuse, NY area... loosened things up quite nicely.

Nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links