Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 Clutch Question....

JappyBeast

Got my clutch replaced just over a year ago but tonight it started to slip!!

Whats going on?

Surely a year of my driving cant burn a clutch out? When I bought my MR2 over a year ago it still had its original clutch from 1991!

MR2's are made to be driven...

I havent thrashed the pants of her.... honest.

Should I look at getting a racing clutch?

Clutch in a 2 shold last you a good while as the toyota clutches were good on the two, only thing I can think of is the install wasnt that good when they put it in the car...

how reputable was the place that installed it? and what was there experience of mr2's

From what I understand, MR2 clutches usually last for around 60,000 - 80,000 miles. Now unless you have covered that sort of distance in a year, there is no reason why your clutch should have gone. Did you have a genuine Toyota clutch fitted, and as Ryan says, did the fitters know the '2?

Unless you do a lot of drag starts or drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal then your clutch should last considerably longer than a year. Wheh it comes to fitting a clutch there's not really much anyone can do wrong other than fit inferior quality parts. Maybe yours was done with a cheap re-manufactured clutch?? And did they replace the whole thing (cover, disc and thrust bearng) or just the disc?

Cheers for the replies,

The bite point is near the top of the pedal now and I also wondered it if could be adjusted.

Not sure if it was original Toyota parts as I drive an Import and the kit was £90 instead of £65 for a UK spec.

I pushed her today and she was fine but it feels like the bite is different.

I have been with the garage that fitted it for a very long time and they wouldnt bodge it.

Can it be adjusted?

I always thought that MR2 clutches were auto adjusting?...... My bite point has always stayed constant i.e. mid way between top and bottom, and that's over 40,000 miles..... and before you ask, yes I would notice it if it changed since I drive a lot of different cars, and only spend limited time sometime in the MR2.

Well it was slipping a little in the higher gears again tonight when I gave her a little stick.

like others said... after a year it shouldn't be slipping.

you've been testing out your 1/4mile times at every given oportunity havn't you mate?? tsk, tsk.

like others said... after a year it shouldn't be slipping.

Thanks for that you post !Removed!..lol.

Nip to a mechanic you know? - i did and they sorted it without having to buy a new one! Brill.

Nip to a mechanic you know? - i did and they sorted it without having to buy a new one! Brill.

Do you know what was wrong with it?

Maybe you got some oil in the bell houseing, but thats a worst case senario i guess. I would have though it would be self adjusting..... get a haynes manual and look. It should be fairly easy to set up.... was on mine, but then i havnt got a 2 :lol: From what i remember ryan had one slip on his, but im guessing it was a pants clutch.... you really cant install them wrong...well they do have to go a certain way round lol

Good luck.

What power are u putting out? if your still fairly stock u shouldnt have a prob on that front.

God, i think the clutch in my head is sliping, im still at work... only been here since 10am...grrr and its now 1am grrrrr

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links