Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Running Vehicle With Alternator Removed

Dame

As you may or may not be aware, I have a problem with what sounds like something rattling in the top end of my Tubby's engine. Investigating the problem further, I have found that the noise dissappears if the engine reaches 2000 RPM. This seems inconsistant with valve wear etc. and I was wondering if the alternator could be the cause. It has been screetching a lot recently (especially after rain). I tightened up the belt a few months ago in an effort to resolve the problem.

To eliminate/prove that the alternator is causing the problem, is it possible to remove the belt and run the car without the alternator attached. I know that eventually the Battery will discharge and the car will stall, but I only need to do this for a couple of minutes to monitor the sound change. I've done this before, but not with an EFI engine. Would the drop in voltage cause a problem?

Cheers,

Damien.

the car will overheat as the water pump is not flowing cooler water around the engine.

You will start noticing more things going wrong

Thanks for the replies guys. Steve, I did think about what else the belt may be driving, but as far as I can remeber, it is the alternator only. I will check this against the description in the workship manual. The idea is to run the engine for a very limited time, 10 secs should do it, since the noise starts the instant the engine is started. It sounds like a vibration to me, and not the classic tick tick sound associated with head wear. I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I'd rather eliminate the easy stuff before pulling the engine apart.

Thanks for the tips guys, it was the alternator, so a big sigh of relief!! Getting a second hand one and will fit on Saturday, along with a nice new belt. Just need to identify the connector shape - oval or round apparently......

I'll get the brother to remove it tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm back at work and have had to leave the car with him. But yes it is a big relief that it is something simple :).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links