Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daylight Running Lights

Grumpy Cabbie

My girlfriend bought a new IQ back in October 2010 and is happy with it. However, from February 2011 the law requires all new cars to have daylight running lights. As our IQ was purchased only 4 months earlier it must have been designed to incorporate DRL's as how was Toyota Japan to know if the car would be sold in October 2010 or March 2011?

Is there a way to switch on the DRL's or a dealer only customisable option, or are the DRL's only for new MODELS not new cars after Feb 2011?

Hi grumpy... I was under the impression it was new MODELS, but sure Kingo will confirm this in due course....

Aha that answers my query.

Well, is there a dealer customisable option to switch them on? I know on the latest Skodas there has been the option for the last couple years.

Only added LEDs are possible.

Toyotas iQ DRLs (no pictures still now) are available in Germany soon.

Here is my aftermarket solution.

post-78587-0-99943800-1302622432_thumb.j

If I remember the DRL,s LaLa used on his IQ are Philips. I fitted a set to my Dad,s Urbancruiser and they are easy to fit. The beauty of the Philips DRL,s is that they can be fitted to go out when you turn your side/headlights on.

They may not be the cheapest aftermart DRL,s but they certainly are the best and look the best as well!!!!

Regards Clare

Hi LA - LA could you confirm wether they are the philips DRL s? Also how did you find fitting them with the fog lights? I bought some ring DRLS and once the front bumper was off they was no way of fitting them with out a complicated bracket? Are the philips very slim? Amazingly compacted the mechanicals at the front of the iq. looks really well DRLS really suit the iq more so then most small cars on the road. Gives it a Merc excutive car kinda look but funkier!

The DLR-regulation is ONLY for new TYPED cars from February 2011!

The iQ was typed in November 2008. :wheelchair:

Are you absolutely sure LA-LA? I have read that UK regulations which are normally in line with EU Regs requires all cars registered from 7 February 2011 to have DRL's. I would be very pleased to confirm as my iQ hasn't got them (registerd 31 March 2011) and I'm about to complain to the selling dealer.

The DLR-regulation is ONLY for new TYPED cars from February 2011!

The iQ was typed in November 2008. :wheelchair:

Are you absolutely sure LA-LA? I have read that UK regulations which are normally in line with EU Regs requires all cars registered from 7 February 2011 to have DRL's. I would be very pleased to confirm as my iQ hasn't got them (registerd 31 March 2011) and I'm about to complain to the selling dealer.

It's not NEW cars but all new models submitted for European type approval. The IQ was released a couple years ago so doesn't technically need them.

A new model Toyota from now on WILL require them. Shame Toyota couldn't provide the DRL's on their later models to give them a more modern look. Most other manufacturers thought it OK but Toyota do seem to be more 'conservative'.

Did more research & found the Department of Transport site relating to DRL's. The media has got it wrong again - it is new models of cars (vans later) from 7 February 2011 that have to have them. Agree with others that it is a shame that Mr T is slow in getting them on model updates, I would have thought they could have done it for 2011 year models of all cars. Shame on you Mr T for being so tardy!!

My observation is,

Sun is splitting the pavement

& all these vehicles are driving along with there DLRL's on,

(bad enough with the RRS's & Audi's, but now DS3 owners sitting on your tail seem to think that their DRL's mean,

'get out my way lesser person'!)

but when visability is bad, twilight, drizzle & sea haar etc,

they have their twinkly front running lights on,

but totally forget that something shining to the rear, in the form of putting on side lights/dipped headlights is actually in order.

george

Im glad my IQ doenst have/need DRLs as I hate the look of them!

• 1 month later...

I put my lights in the holes

Mr Bean

Is there any chance you could tell me where you got your running lights you put in the top grill please

David

Hi Mr Ben

Thanks for the reply. Had a look in Halfords a few days ago. The only ones they seemed to have were made by Ring. But Three versions were too long. The 8 led pne was 210mm long. Dont suppose you can remember the make by any chance.

Cheers

David

Hi Mr Ben

Thanks for the reply. Had a look in halfords a few days ago. The only ones they seemed to have were made by Ring. But Three versions were too long. The 8 led pne was 210mm long. Dont suppose you can remember the make by any chance.

Cheers

David

For what it's worth I use these which are a good push fit in the ends of the upper IQ intake without needing any other fixing, once you take the brackets that they come with, off.

So far they have been in for about 500 miles without moving or becoming loose so I will leave them as they are.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Cruise-lite-Diamond-Daytime-Styling/dp/B0030L89FO

They are a bit cheap compared to some of the others, I suppose, so I don't know how long they will work for, but so far no problems and they look OK, AND I have noticed cars about to pull out of junctions having a "double take" on my approach when they would normally pull out after a quick look, so the lights do what they are supposed to.

And I didn't have to drill the car or mount brackets anywhere, which is a bonus.

Hi Johnan

Thanks very much for that. I have ordered a set. Thanks for the info and a good discription of your experience in fitting them

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links