Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Ends?

SMiFFAD

Hey hey :D

Still trying to find out whats wrong with my engine, new theory i have come up with, just wonder if anyone in the know could shed some light on how likely or not it is:

Rattly/worn top end/cams/shafts - i get a ticky rattyly sort of noise, rough idlea nd oil loss, could this be the cause?

Engines done 150K km's (~95K miles) spits oil out of the exhaust (unburnt)....

Getting to the end of my teather with it, i cant afford to write a blank chequ to toyota just to tell me its knackered, i know that already just trying to narrow it down <_<

Any help greatly appreciated, dont think its the HG, doesnt overheat, no significant mayo stuff and doesnt use water.....

Could be your tappets need adjusting, bit of a pain in the a**e on these engines as they are shimmed. Basically the shims come in various thicknesses, you measure the gap between the cam and its follower work out how wrong that gap is then fit a shim under the follower to correct the gap. Of course if you have a poorly maintained engine(not had oil changes regularly) then it possible that the hard skin of the cam lobe has worn through. If this is the case re-setting the tappets will be a waste of time, you'll need new cams. Its very unlikely that your engine is spitting unburnt oil out of the exhaust. Its so hot in there that it has to burn, so you should have lots of blue smoke. Its quite normal this time of year to get water spitting from the exhaust when starting from cold, thats just moisture thats condensed in the system. If yours is really spitting out oil then you have a serious problem.

Could be your tappets need adjusting, bit of a pain in the a**e on these engines as they are shimmed. Basically the shims come in various thicknesses, you measure the gap between the cam and its follower work out how wrong that gap is then fit a shim under the follower to correct the gap. Of course if you have a poorly maintained engine(not had oil changes regularly) then it possible that the hard skin of the cam lobe has worn through. If this is the case re-setting the tappets will be a waste of time, you'll need new cams. Its very unlikely that your engine is spitting unburnt oil out of the exhaust. Its so hot in there that it has to burn, so you should have lots of blue smoke. Its quite normal this time of year to get water spitting from the exhaust when starting from cold, thats just moisture thats condensed in the system. If yours is really spitting out oil then you have a serious problem.

It is deffo spitting unburt oil, it deposited a load over my mates windscreen as i booted it past him......

Its not pinking, its at idle that its the worst and far to mechanical sounding in my mind :wacko:

My brother's LandRover spits out oil (I know because he insists on spitting it all over my car when he parks next to me!) He did tell me the cause, I seem to recall it is something to do with the top end. I'll ask him and get back to you.

There are really only two ways oil can get into your exhaust. 1 worn piston rings or bores and 2 worn valve stem seals. Both are normally associated with blue oil smoke. With either of these the oil goes through the cylinder hence is burnt and so the smoke. Even if its the exhaust valve stem seals any oil will burn and smoke due to the exhaust gas heat. If you are getting enough oil residue left in the exhaust to get blown out there should be a lot of smoke coming from the car and you should be thinking in terms of an engine re-build. If you're lucky it's only the stem seals, but the head will have to come off to replace them. If its putting that much oil through maybe the oil is fouling up the plugs causing the bad idle.

There are really only two ways oil can get into your exhaust. 1 worn piston rings or bores and 2 worn valve stem seals. Both are normally associated with blue oil smoke. With either of these the oil goes through the cylinder hence is burnt and so the smoke. Even if its the exhaust valve stem seals any oil will burn and smoke due to the exhaust gas heat. If you are getting enough oil residue left in the exhaust to get blown out there should be a lot of smoke coming from the car and you should be thinking in terms of an engine re-build. If you're lucky it's only the stem seals, but the head will have to come off to replace them. If its putting that much oil through maybe the oil is fouling up the plugs causing the bad idle.

Hmm, well its not smoking, that was the first thing i checked, dont you just hate it when your loosing loadsa oil have have no idea where its going :angry:

As for the plugs if its not raining when i get home ill whip em out and have a gander, cheers :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links