Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Improve Emissions?

Titto

Hi,

I'll have my MOT on my '92 MR2 in august this year - im worried about it failing it. The reason i say this is that its getting on for 12years old now and i've noticed that when i leave the car on the drive, the exhaust is leaving little droplets of residue on it - so its leaking slightly. Also, would buying a new Cat improve the chances of passing an MOT???

Any tips / suggestions for what to do in preparation for it? such as new exhaust / cat etc...

Cheers

Take it out for a decent drive before the test to clear the engine out. I suppose fitting a new cat would probably improve the emissions to a certain extent, but..... they are extremely expensive, £1000 + I believe. You would probably be better getting the engine tunes up i.e. timing sorted etc. That should improve things. How many miles has it done?

Legally speaking your car will only have to meet emissions requirements for cars WITHOUT a cat anyway as it's a pre-1993 car. (cars manufactured from 1993 onwards MUST be fitted with a cat to be lgeal).

almost K plate need CAT J plate doesn't, hence my 1992 K needs a CAT, !Removed! as i've a decat pipe on it. :angry:

Yep its a K '92 and does require CAT testing. ITs done about 75,000miles Dame. I posted this cos i've not had a car this old before and am just worried that it may fail?!

It should be fine. Mine is a 92 with 62,000 miles. It always give really low readings. Like you I'm reluctant to remove the cat, though TBH it doesn't have to have a cat test because it is an import and is pre 1994 (I think that is the limit). Because the engine isn't on their chart for an MR2 they have to test it using no cat values. However, I have had mine tested with both, and it passed fine (Celica GT4 has same engine so those setting were used.).

Cheers Dame,

Its an N/A version although an import and i think BIBBS mentioned that it will need a test because there is a uk version / comparable version. So you think i should not really worry then?

Cheers

Adam

Damn!! I was thiking it was a turbo! However, I think you'll be fine. If you find a friendly tester i.e. someone you know, you can ask him/her for suggestions if it doesn't pass the grade. Surely being in the force you have some contacts??

Ah, not actually thought of that my young padowan!

Right, see if you can help me here too!!!:-

Handbrake is abysmal = i need to replace the cabling? if so, i think theres two cables to replace: one for each rear wheel - but - is there anything else i need to get or is it straight forward replace the cables?

Also, whilst that work is being done, is there anything else around that area thats worth 'refreshing'???

Thanks

Adam

Adam, what's your email address? PM me and I'll send you what I have on adjusting the brake, a couple of pages from the Turbo workshop manual. It doesn't detail how to replace the cable!!?? but does say how to adjust the existing one. This may be all you need to do :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links