Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filter

nicpy

I am the new owner of a `91 2 litre turbo MR2, my question concerns the air filter, the filter that is fitted measures approx 10"x11" across, but the only one I can source for this model are only approx 11" x 6" across, is the air box a bigger modded version, or where can I get hold of the correct filter to suit? <_<

I suggest you get rid of the box all together and get an induction kit, it should make a noticable difference.

Maybe, but TBH it would be a very minor differennce, and would really require an aftermarket exhaust sans cat and a Unichip. You can get a nice new air filter from Fensport http://www.fensport.co.uk for £13.95 exc vat and delivery.

I'm not sure what sort of air box etc comes on a tubby but on the N/A UK spec the intake system is completely ridiculous, there must be a couple of meters of piping and about 3 resonator boxes. Also, the area of the filter doesn’t seem that big compared to an after market kit. I noticed the difference when I put my induction kit on my 2, not sure if the difference would be as noticeable if you have a turbo to suck the air through tho.

Exactly, having a turbo sucking air through means that the performance improvement from fitting an induction kit is neglegable - maybe 2 - 5 hp at best. It makes a nice noise though.......

Negligable, maybe nothing at all, just a nice noise. Perhaps 2-3bhp if you were very lucky, but I doubt it. Even on a Turbo, there are no real gains to be made unless you turn up the boost, which would really be just as effective without an induction kit!

I get the distinct feeling that you chaps are toalking about TWO things...an induction kit and just an air filter?? can someone enlighten me please :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

There are indeed two things being talked about. Initially nicpy was asking about an air filter, but it was suggested he get an induction kit. I disagreed because of the relatively high cost/small performance/no performance gain.

induction kits may offer little gains in way of bhp increases but do offer a great difference in the response of the engine....

When I get my next two, it will happen sooner or later no doubt will be shelling out the hundred odd pounds for something along the lines of an Apexi induction kit for the car as it does make a difference, i's just negligable in the forms of bhp

I suppose at the end of the day, it's down to how much money you have. I have driven a 2 with an induction kit, and what you say is true Ryan about incresed engine response but I think it is more of a luxuary rather than an essential purchase :).

BTW what type of '2 are you going for this time? Turbo or N/A. Good to hear that you're more or less sorted now :).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links