Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking For A Workhorse

youngalistair

looking for a toyota or nissan workhorse large saloon or estate with all the problems i read about the avensis and the the nissan almera also it seems like im back to square one .....can anyone out there recommend an economical cheap to buy 1-3000 pounds japanese car preferably with a timing chain( i still belive they are reliable!) i also looked at honda civics but they look expensive if things go wrong

looking for a toyota or nissan workhorse large saloon or estate with all the problems i read about the avensis and the the nissan almera also it seems like im back to square one .....can anyone out there recommend an economical cheap to buy 1-3000 pounds japanese car preferably with a timing chain( i still belive they are reliable!) i also looked at honda civics but they look expensive if things go wrong

Have you had a look on eBay for any? How about a Volvo V70 D5 Estate? Lots going on eBay atm. Great cars as I've owned 2 now. A V70 T-5 Estate and S60 D5 sport. Both were really great cars and I didn't have any problems with them at all :thumbsup:

Have you had a look on eBay for any? How about a Volvo V70 D5 Estate? Lots going on eBay atm. Great cars as I've owned 2 now. A V70 T-5 Estate and S60 D5 sport. Both were really great cars and I didn't have any problems with them at all :thumbsup:

thanks but dont volvos v70s drink petrol?

Does it have to be Japanese? An older Golf or Passat saloon/estate with a diesel engine would make a good solid, reliable and economical workhorse. Cambelt rather than chain but as long as replacement schedule is adhered to they are reliable. Or even the Audi A4 equivalent, albeit a bit more money to buy.

what about a 1.8s v40 volvo? whats the fuel consumption like?

Hilux Surf?

Hilux Surf?

Without a doubt I would recommend the P10 or P11 Nissan Primera(P10 1990-1996/p11 1996-1999).I owned one of these prior to the Corolla and it was a great car.Totally reliable(timing chain on all petrol models).If I could have found another more local to me I wouldn't be on this forum now.

Chat to the lads on NPOC or Nissanprimera.net,2 very good forums and they will give you a list of things to look out for.

Models after 99 up till 02 were slightly less reliable and some suffered stretched timing chains and after that the French got involved and :censor: things up completely :ffs: .

karma supra chill out i need double those figures you truck nut ...............i said economical 40-50mpg

currently i looking at honda civic aerodeck estates and mazda6 estates and lets no forget the daddy!...........the ford mondeo estate of course britains no.1 best and reliable secondhand car

the ford mondeo estate of course britains no.1 best and reliable secondhand car

You are joking,right :crybaby: ?

The surf is the most economical vehicle I've had in 10 years!!!!!

thanks but dont volvos v70s drink petrol?

The Diesels dont. Far better than my T-180 on the juice :blink:

yeah those nissan engines are great arent they...... ive got my trusty 17 year old sunny outside winking at me now! but its time it hit nissan heaven as with fuel prices the way they are i worked out that my nissan sunny 1.6 16v slx automatic is costing me £700 more a year in petrol than a newer 40-50mpg petrol/diesel car and i only do about 5-7000 a year so here goes once again into the abyss of e-bay gumtree ect for a good nissan primera (thats until i think of something else). why did the japanese mess up so badly in their build quality after the late 1990s maybe they had it so good they thought their bubble would never burst :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

why did the japanese mess up so badly in their build quality after the late 1990s maybe they had it so good they thought their bubble would never burst :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Never a truer word said :( - although it wasn;t just japenes cars... look at the bullet proof 80s E class (190E etc) compared to the unreliable tat mercedes produce today.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links