Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ademeisters 1991 Ae92 Gti-16

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi all,

It's now time to get a Project Thread set up for this beauty. First off we had to name her, so meet Samantha/Sam for short. :D

Specs:

*1991 AE92 GTi-16

*3rd Generation Non-TVIS 4A-GE

*215000 Miles on the Clock

*NO mods - That's how it will stay. She is concourse condition only ;)

She has been Serviced at Toyota her whole life with fully synthetic Oil Changes and the owner changed the oil between each service anyway to keep her strong. It worked. He waxoiled and undersealed her every two years and has always replaced bits with Toyota Genuine Parts including that Sunroof which has cost a bomb but it worth it as she is perfect to drive. We even have receipts for everything he has purchased for it. :D

So following an epic trip down to Halifax via train and being dropped off by Hou and Gaz, I went out underneath her to see what as what very carefully. The rust-list wasn't too huge or far gone, most of it is hidden and she will be sorted soon enough to survive the harsher winters.

7e22a468.jpg

c7f06b67.jpg

a6e12609.jpg

79fe8e5e.jpg

0c83646d.jpg

26586ce4.jpg

19cf5e6f.jpg

Here's the glitch-list for the whole car:

*N/S Sill Rotten through - This will be replaced out right. It has only just started to bubble out over the top but you can see it with the car above you.

*N/S Rear Arch Bubbling Rust - This should be easily sorted with a Zip-Wheel and a little filler to smooth it but there is no penetrating rust just yet.

*Tailgate Lock and wiper Early Bubble - You have to look very carefully to spot this budding rust, this will be easily zipped off and maybe a little filler will be necessary.

*O/S Rear Arch Bubbling Rust - A little less than the N/S one, just a bit of Zip-Wheeling will sort it.

*Rear Bumper Faded - It'll need repainting along with the Flaps

*Radiator Missing 60% of Vanes - It was falling apart but has already been replaced, read on for a couple of pictures!

*Rust Around Sunroof Frame - The Sunroof itself has already been replaced but the roof side has to be Zip-Wheeled and painted again.

This may seem like an extensive list but trust me this is with me being so finicky, the rest of the car is so mint it's crazy.

Another side-project is the engine bay itself which is caked in grime.. however this doesn't affect the function or look of the car on a normal day so it's being pushed to the back of the list.

Today I have already replaced the Radiator with a second hand unit that as thrown in with the car, it was a little battered but absolutely nothing had been compromised in terms of function so I'm happy.

Old Rad:

c9d5fd7a.jpg

9f1ee993.jpg

Replacement Rad:

6e39b29b.jpg

I swapped out the old rusted Clips for S/S Jubilees which help the look but I won't give you a picture as the engine bay is truly awful :P

It really is odd working on one of these when it's not my own... :lol: but equally as pleasurable. She is absolutely fine and you wouldn't believe it but even after some harsh test driving she still didn't go a % over normal Temperature! :shock: These really are such good cooling systems.

We even took her to the MK cruise and as expected got no attention, she was one of the best condition cars there but no one knows what they are! It's all Corsas and Shitso's down here anyway so we knew what to expect but it still bugs me a little whilst making me feel smug in an odd way which we are all pretty familiar with! :thumbsup:

She'll be attending JAE with my GTi as well!! And thank you ademeister for earning those bloody stripes and actually buying an AE92 :P ;)

KP

pfffft bloody typical TOC :P Maybe if I posted a picture of myself in a mankini I'd get a few more comments? Oh wait I don't have a T-Sport... or a reversing camera... :P Ooh yes I went there :thumbsup:

KP

She looks like she was just taken out of the factory! Seriously Congrats mate!!!!!

Cheers dude! haha I thought the mankini comment would gain interest :P

First I posted and then I read your comment about the mankini... Show mercy please... :D :lol:

Got to give it to you.... I love your passion for these motors, Took you ages to get the white one running then the engine went pear shaped, but instead of getting down about it you turned it into a new project. And to take this one on although it looks in very very neat condition for a 200k motor is justttt crazzzzy.

I think im with you on keeping this one classic with no mods :thumbsup: maybe just replace the decals with new ones to bring a bit more shine out of it( btw give us a peak of that engine bay lets see how bad it is!!!)

(Sites changed since we first joined, way to many egos here lol give it another few hours and we shall have a new heated dicussion (wouldnt be suprised if it starts with this sentance) Ha ha)

pfffft !Removed! typical TOC :P Maybe if I posted a picture of myself in a mankini I'd get a few more comments? Oh wait I don't have a T-Sport... or a reversing camera... :P Ooh yes I went there :thumbsup:

KP

Just lol

Hopefully this one wont get you into trouble with the police :lol:

Got to give it to you.... I love your passion for these motors, Took you ages to get the white one running then the engine went pear shaped, but instead of getting down about it you turned it into a new project. And to take this one on although it looks in very very neat condition for a 200k motor is justttt crazzzzy.

I think im with you on keeping this one classic with no mods :thumbsup: maybe just replace the decals with new ones to bring a bit more shine out of it( btw give us a peak of that engine bay lets see how bad it is!!!)

(Sites changed since we first joined, way to many egos here lol give it another few hours and we shall have a new heated dicussion (wouldnt be suprised if it starts with this sentance) Ha ha)

Thank you mate, I've learned that you have to be a little mental to carry on :lol: And I really am passionate about keeping these AE92's on the roads.

I'll get a snap for you now, give me a couple minutes, and too true I'm waiting for someone to waltz in with the arse. It's fun to watch though and I can always retreat to me own Club :P :lol:

reidy, haha yeh well I have now racked up two ASBO's on the White GTi and I have a feeling this one will get me another soon enough... :D

KP

Ok here's the dire engine bay, which I may even start to clean up tonight when it's not too hot for the degreaser... :D

baee6ec6.jpg

251fce9d.jpg

cd96b403.jpg

78a420ed.jpg

76ebe293.jpg

KP

Another great AE 92 you have rescued from the "boy racers " of this world.Definately needs to be kept standard as it's too good to modify mate.Will be following this thread with great interest :drool::thumbsup:

Not my cup of tea but best of luck with it. I have to say for a H reg car, it's in good nick.

pfffft !Removed! typical TOC :P Maybe if I posted a picture of myself in a mankini I'd get a few more comments? Oh wait I don't have a T-Sport... or a reversing camera... :P Ooh yes I went there :thumbsup:

KP

Haha legend... it looks in very good condition, it's right, it's clear to see that you have a passion for these motors.

So it's just cosmetic work needed then, nothing mechanical?

Thanks all. Yeh I will be updating it as I do little bits and pieces to get her back to showroom condition. I have made a start on the engine bay and now she has almost no thick grime on her but she is still in need of a lot more elbow grease. I think I may start to pester for replacement engine bay parts like bolts and brackets etc to get her back to her closer to factory finish.

Mechanically she is absolutely sound, no faults at all. I replaced the radiator which was actually doing just fine anyway, however I didn't want to leave it in as it was just too far gone. :) It will only be the body work that we touch in terms of big spending any time soon, she needs the aforementioned bits derusted/welded and resprayed, but there is nothing else we need to do.

Basically she will have the whole rear end patched and sprayed and the sunroof area will get the same treatment.

Luckily I have all the parts on standby I think so we should be able to do it soonish - maybe a few months time.

The thing to remember is that we have bought her to maintain her and to generally use her as a runaround that we care for if you get my meaning, so she won't have anything like the work done that I did on my GTi. I know many think she is a boy racer but there is a firm difference between mine and theirs ;)

KP

thats a clean engine for a classic!!! i can just imagine you think '' potential'' when you look at that engine bay.

I saw some guy jet washing his bmw engine bay a few weeks ago :eek: make sure you dont get tempted to do something like that!

:lol: I do see potential that is very true! Jet washing has been recommended but if I do take that route I think I'll have to be very selective. We'll see anyway, chances are I will carry on as I am with my Jizer and clothes :D

KP

Lovely, lovely car engine look remarkably clean overall.

Going to have a look at one over the next day or so is there anything major I should look out for? I am aware of the rust issues but any extra headsup would be great

There aren't many inherent faults to look at other than the rust on major components such as the sills and those rear suspension turrets. The issue with the turrets is that they rot right at the top where the water gets kicked and that is very hard to inspect.

We were lucky enough to have the car put on a ramp so that I could thoroughly check underneath with an inspection light. It was a good idea as I found a number of small things that I wouldn't have been able to check without removing the rear bumper when I got home.

If you are lucky enough to have it on a ramp, run your hand up behind both corners of the rear bumper to feel for rust on the body-shell, it may be a little crusty and don't despair as they can be easily replaced if you have some welding skills or a garage near by. The same goes for the sills too, you can check them either by looking at the top of the rear of the skirts where you may see it has crept up and when you look underneath expect to see small holes.

Besides that stuff I'd check the following:

*Heater Valve Opens and Closes

*Sunroof Operates - the motor will keep whirring if you hold the button when it is closed so just let go when it shuts, this is how they should work.

*Handbrake - They are a common one to fail due to a stuck mechanism, there are repair kits for them however I just went and bought in a new calliper for £115 to have it done.

*Gearbox - The C52 Ally Cap Box wasn't massively strong however it was fine to be ragged a little. But if the poor thing has had a baseball cap and lack of intelligence driving it for too long then you may find she slips gears 3 and 1. If this is the case, then I have a spare box ;)

The great thing is that even if any of these things do go wrong, I have a place that will be able to help you with sorting all of it out when it comes to discount parts and finding someone to help you do some of the work. :thumbsup:

I'd like to point out that all this is me being incredibly finicky, what you'll find is that if it's a good one, you will sit in there and as you set off you'll find yourself smiling all the way home. ;)

KP

Another good resto to keep a read of , awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

Cheers KP,

Spoken to the guy tonight in view of going to look at it so fingers crossed. No problem with a ramp we have 4 at work and only just round the corner so that will be easy :yes:

I will check for the other stuff too cheers for your advise :thumbsup:

Great! And you're more than welcome to it mate, anyone who wants to look after one of these is welcome to my advice and help :D

And if you ever think of selling it on, I'm always open to source a new garage and to take on another Project ;) And if you suggest scrapping one, I'll be there to put anyone six feet under and save the damn thing myself :lol:

Make sure you get some pictures up! :thumbsup:

KP

I don't like it.....

(Waits for flaming! :lol: )

;)

I don't like it.....

;)

Ah you're a SUPER MOD, you should know better, I couldn't care less... rawr rawr rawr :P

I've grown used to your humour.... even more so to ignoring it :lol:

I don't like it.....

;)

Ah you're a SUPER MOD, you should know better, I couldn't care less... rawr rawr rawr :P

I've grown used to your humour.... even more so to ignoring it :lol:

Damn.... i must try harder! :P

• 7 months later...

Always wanted a grey corolla gti. Rare now. Beautiful car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links