Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving A Large Distance For The First Time

Clip

As title, i'll be driving for over 6 hours, of which i've never done.

What can you tell me that'll help me to stay awake (leaving @3AM) and also, would a rev guage be handy to increase MPG? as i can keep it to within an area upon it?

Help. :)

@EccentricEllis

What can you tell me that'll help me to stay awake (leaving @3AM) and also, would a rev guage be handy to increase MPG? as i can keep it to within an area upon it?

@EccentricEllis

Hi Ellis,

The 1st think you should be aware of if you're going to be driving a long distance is to make sure you have a break from driving at last every 2 hours. Open a window to get fresh air in and have some music on can help or chat with your passenger. Have a coffee (If you're not allergic to it as some people are) to help while away the hours. Make sure your phone is working and charged just in case you should need it and have some safty items like high viz jackets/warm cloths/food,drink/oil/water ect in your boot.

I'm sure you know this but make sure that (You) and your car is ready for the long journey. (P)etrol,(O)il,(W)ater,(E)lectrics,Rubber (POWER is an easy way to remember the checks)

Okay... So thats just the Driving instructor coming out in me now! lol... Enjoy the trip :thumbsup:

@EccentricEllis

firstly do not attempt to do the complete journey in one stint.......take at least one break for a drink (Preferably non fizzy cold) and a walk around in the fresh air

As you have never driven this sort of distance before.....Maybe you should take a break every 2 hours!

Remember that tiredness can kill and often does!

It is a good idea not to have the inside of the car too hot and ensure that you have a flow of fresh air

I see you are leaving at 3AM.............Try to make sure you get some good sleep before setting off and that you are awake fully when you start!

Good luck with your journey.....Stay safe!

On the subject of rev counters .....they can help with economic driving but you should remember firstly to concentrate on the driving and not be constantly looking at the rev counter

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

No probs mate. Have a safe and good drive :toast:

Plan your stops - don't just suddenly decide during the journey. Select somewhere where there is likely to be safe parking, toilet facilities, refreshments, somewhere you can take a short stroll and the like. Stick to plain non-sugary drinks although a few hard boiled sweets can give you an extra boost when feeling down.

Brilliant advice.

Coffee is a good idea though although i have a coffee shop in my work (bike shop) so i hate crap coffee now. Proper snob.

LOL

Sort a decent playlist before you leave!

Ultimate Driving Playlist Suggestions in...5...4... :P :lol:

Had some epic tunes on the way down.

'Twas brilliant.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links