Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Topend Rattle

GEZ18VVTI

Hi Everybody,

Would be very grateful for some advice, I have recently bought a 2002 52 Reg Toyoto Celica 1.8 VVTI with 72,000 miles on the clock, it also has full Toyota Service History.

When driving the car a few days ago I noticed when the engine is under load (Low Revs) or coasting along at 40Mph – 50Mph in 6th gear the engine makes a pinking / tapping noise , sounds like its the top end, almost like a timing chain rattle, definitely not a knocking noise.

Over a day or so the engine management light came on the dash and the car now has a very noticeable misfire on idle (Tick Over) as soon as you rev the car above 1,000 rpm or drive above 20mph it clears itself and drives fine with no noise but slightly under powered and then rattle/ pinking under load !

I took the car to a friend who works in Ford and he suggested it may be the coil pack on cylinder 1, so i changed the coil pack and a new set of spark plugs and there was no difference, He then plugged the car in to the handheld computer, the recorded fault is low compression on 1 cylinder, we then did a cylinder head compression test to find cylinder readings as below

Cylinder 1 = 60

Cylinder 2 = 85

Cylinder 3 = 90

Cylinder 4 = 90

The car is not using any oil and has lost no water, the temperature has also stayed stabile with no abnormalities.

Has anybody experienced this behaviour or confident on a diagnosis? if it is fatal , can anybody kindly suggested where i may find a second hand cylinder head or reconditioned at a good price.

Look forward to your views ,

G Cooper

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links