Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

V-Power Vs Additives (Redex, Bg Etc.)

Cyker

I'm just wondering what you guys think about 'super' fuels like V-Power vs. using your own additives on normal fuel.

V-Power is on average 10-11p more expensive than the supermarket fuel I normally get, and something like 4-5p more than the standard Shell fuel I think.

It's about £4-5 more over a normal tank of supermarket fuel.

How much are the external additives per tank? What sort of effect do they have?

I just wonder what the comparative costs and effects are...

The V-Power diesel has quite a noticeable effect on my Yaris' D4D; Runs a lot smoother, shifts the power band slightly (Looses low-end torque but stops it dropping off as quickly as you climb the revs). Exhaust is noticeable cleaner under load.

There was a test of VPower on todays BBC F1 coverage and they found no difference as such betwen it and the F1 fuel used for races.. other than the ecu mapping required slight changes.

I only ever use VPower for my RAVs as both are mapped to use the stuff, but I get annoyed with drivers in the charity pouring VPower diesel into the Transits !!!

I think there is a bigger difference with V-Power diesel vs petrol; They both have the extra cleaning effects, but the petrol one really only works well on cars with knock sensors or that have compression ratios that can take advantage of it like the Compressor.

The diesel one (in theory) should benefit any diesel engine, from tiny ones like mine up to Giddle's artic :lol: because it burns more readily and completely (And that's never a bad thing in a diesel! I knew a guy who used V-Power diesel in winter because he reckons his car started a lot easier with it! :lol:)

I did see that F1 feature tho'; Was quite impressive, but I had a feeling the effect would be less than you'd think as F1 cars run a surprisingly low compression ratio on their engines so the high-octane isn't as critical as you'd expect.

That said, if they'd used US petrol the engine probably would have blown up :lol:

I think there is a bigger difference with V-Power diesel vs petrol; They both have the extra cleaning effects, but the petrol one really only works well on cars with knock sensors or that have compression ratios that can take advantage of it like the Compressor.

The diesel one (in theory) should benefit any diesel engine, from tiny ones like mine up to Giddle's artic :lol: because it burns more readily and completely (And that's never a bad thing in a diesel!

Correct and saved me putting together a similar reply to bothwell_buyer :)

Fuel "Additives" like the ones you grab from a bottle are wank, and will just make the engine run the same if not worse.

But the Fuels you simply get from the pump, that's a different situation altogether.

Don't fall for anything that claims to raise your Octane rating, even if it does, all that means is the fuel has a higher resistance to heat and therefore knock/pre-ignition and detonation.

KP

Shell V-Power for 135,000 miles about 8ppl premium over standard at Shell but get better mpg to more than make up differance.

59078.png

so from this we must have the cleanest Transit engines?? :lol:

Take your point over the petrol tho - I'm biased that both my RAVs are set up to use the higher octane - especially the one with the Apexi power FC.

Diesel and petrol are very different when it coems to "premium" fuels, -however one thing is definitely true, if your engine is not designed to take advantage of it, it won't. I put Vpower diesel in the Hilux once, for a laugh. it made ***** all difference, apart from costing £92 for a tank full.

The M3 is more highly stung and I'm only put premium fuel in... The supra was the fussiest though.. running high boost and delicately set up.. I couldn't risk running anything with a lower octane rating in it... even with knock sensors (which as basicly just microphones)

Diesel and petrol are very different when it coems to "premium" fuels, -however one thing is definitely true, if your engine is not designed to take advantage of it, it won't. I put Vpower diesel in the Hilux once, for a laugh. it made ***** all difference, apart from costing £92 for a tank full.

You also seem to have missed the point of Shell V Power diesel :)

From the Shell site:-

`Is Shell V-Power Diesel suitable for all cars?

Shell V-Power Diesel can be used with confidence in all diesel vehicles. This includes direct and indirect light duty vehicles as well as pick-ups, trucks, buses etc. The excellent protection and cleaning properties associated with Shell V-Power Diesel are designed to help keep diesel vehicles operating at their best and the product has been shown to control build-up and actively remove harmful deposits in both new and older cars.

So, will all cars benefit from Shell V-Power Diesel?

All engines are different and in use, each vehicle will experience different types of operation, driving styles and, indeed, various fuel qualities. As such they are likely to react to Shell V-Power Diesel in slightly different ways and to different degrees. However, all cars are likely to suffer from the adverse effect of deposits and Shell V-Power Diesel is designed to help restore and maintain engine performance that can deteriorate as deposits build up.

From Wiki:-

`V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.[4]

V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.

`One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.

The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.

Anecdotal evidence shows that its performance varies depending on how an engine is set up. In most cases, it will make a rough-sounding engine run noticeably smoother, and can also alter the performance characteristics; typically some low-end torque is lost, but performance in the middle of the rev range and above is increased. In some engines however, particularly well-tuned common rail turbodiesels, very little effect can be seen or felt.`

I must admit I've never seen anyone use V-Power in a van before, but it could be a way to get past emissions testing as it's cleaner burning?

@dervdave - Don't quote that wiki entry as anything other than speculation: I wrote the last 4 paragraphs of the bit you quoted so it might actually be a load of <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s! :lol:

But yeah, the hilux is what, 3 litres? I think as the engine gets bigger the effect is much less noticeable because you've already got shed-loads of torque, esp. if the engine isn't high-revving like the 1.4 D4D (Which I think is one of the highest revving diesel engines in consumer cars!)

@dervdave - Don't quote that wiki entry as anything other than speculation: I wrote the last 4 paragraphs of the bit you quoted so it might actually be a load of <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s! :lol:

I like it and its not ! B)

Meh. Fitting a V8 instead one day...

Diesel may win Le Mans, but it's still smelly, dirty, unrefined and sounds rubbish.

Diesel may win Le Mans, but it's still smelly, dirty, unrefined and sounds rubbish.

Very like me ! :yes:

Hmm, maybe I should split this; It seems that for petrol, the fuel matters the most and additives generally do bugger all, but I've been getting the opposite from several derv heads; It seems diesel engines tend to have a larger reaction to various additives?!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links